2023 Academy Spotlight - Jed Walter (Palm Beach Currumbin)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Now that our 2022 season has come to a close, we can start looking towards the 2023 season and all it entails, including our upcoming academy prospects. Perhaps the best prospect to come out of the Gold Coast since Nick Riewoldt, Jed Walter is a very highly rated prospect for the 2023 draft class. So much so that some draft experts are rating him as highly as the potential number 2 pick next year! Coming through the well establish Palm Beach Currumbin club and school pathway, Walter has always been a standout in his age group but in 2022 he really announced himself on the national stage when he performed very well at the U18 National Championships for the Allies as a bottom ager where he kicked 9 goals in 4 games. His next notable clash will be the U17s Futures clash on Grand Final day this year and everyone is expecting Jed to play well in that game. I'll give Jake Rogers and Ethan Read from our academy a mention too because they are both potential first round picks next year as well but Walter is definitely the standout right now. Expect to see lots of Jed in our VFL team next year when he's not playing in academy/national champs games.

NWHSubz.jpg

Jed Walter
Height: 197cm
Weight: 91kg
Position: Key Forward
Junior Club: Palm Beach Currumbin (QAFL)

Great size, no doubt about that.
Looking to see what his forward craft and marking is like this coming year.
An exciting power forward in the Tom Hawkins / Tom Lynch mould would work so unbelievably well with Chol and King.

Jed lined up for the PBC seniors today in their upset finals win over Labrador. It would appear he kicked a goal in the match and I assume he will play for Palmy again next week.

goal kicking action looks like it needs a bit of work, potentially.
nevertheless, excited to see some decent gc talent coming through!
Leading into the draft year, Walter is definitely the best prospect from the Gold Coast (from Queensland?) since Nick Riewoldt made the switch from Broadbeach to Southport in 1999 and announced himself on the national stage. Riewoldt was so highly rated in 1999 that Eddie McGuire successfully lobbied to have the Gold Coast excluded from Brisbane's automatic selection zone in the hopes that the struggling Magpies would pick him up in the draft the following year. I'm sure we'll hear all about the outrage down south if Walter remains a top 3 draft prospect this time next year.

As you mentioned, it's nice to finally see some top line talent coming out of the Gold Coast. We're coming up to our 13th season in the AFL and we're only now seeing a likely first round pick come through the Gold Coast junior pathway for the first time in our club existence. You can clearly see from that video that Jed has elite attributes. It's very exciting!

View attachment 1529239

said similar about Brad Scheer

Best midfielder since Michael Voss
I know Scheer was highly rated around the 15s/16s level but he certainly wasn't being talked about as a potential first round pick going into his draft year. Bowes was easily the standout from Queensland at that point in their progression but he is of course from Cairns. I think it's fair to say Walter is the most highly rated Gold Coast junior going into his draft year since Nick Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast has a remarkable nine picks in the 2023 draft after adding five future selections to their own natural hand, most notably a potentially juicy top-25 pick in GWS’ second-rounder.

They’ll need them because they will almost certainly have to match bids on at least three players from their Academy; Jed Walter, Ethan Read and Jake Rogers.

All three made the Under-18 Allies squad as bottom-agers with Walter, a 195cm key forward, one of the contenders for the top five of the 2023 draft. He was named at centre half forward in the Under-18 All-Australian team, with potential 2022 No.1 pick Aaron Cadman at full forward.
There you have it. Walter is currently considered a potential top 5 prospect going into the 2023 season. Exciting stuff!

Maybe.
Seems consensus that he’s highly rated.

I assume he has also watched the U18 championships where he kicked 9 goals in 4 games and was named all australian as an bottom ager.

Our man Jed followed in the footsteps of fellow academy graduates like Crossley and Dawson by winning the Player of the Match award in the 2022 AFLQ Schools Cup Grand Final where his Palm Beach Currumbin side defeated Helensvale High earlier this month:

DqIH02R.jpg

Two new articles about Jed.

Jed Walter

195cm/94kg
8/6/05
Gold Coast Academy/Allies
Key forward

Walter was named in the under-18 All Australian team after kicking multiple goals in three carnival matches for the Allies and finishing with nine goals for the championships. The powerful key forward shapes as one of the most promising talls in the 2023 pool – he's aggressive, can take a pack mark and has a presence near goal. He is tied to Gold Coast, who will get first access to Walter through its Academy.

Part One: Meet the Gold Coast’s top school athletes of 2022

PALM BEACH CURRUMBIN - Jed Walter

His 2022 season has been elite with selection as the centre half forward in the U18 All Australian Team after the completion of the 2022 NAB AFL National Championships.

Now Jed Walter's future in the AFL is getting even nearer.

The Palm Beach Currumbin product is on the cusp of earning draft selection next year, having been brought into the National Academy squad for close monitoring.

His athletic frame, running power and attack on the football both in the ground and the air makes him a hot prospect in next year's AFL draft where he is touted as a top 10 selection. Unsurprisingly, he was then awarded the Best on Ground in the State Q-Cup Schools Grand Final.

I really want this kid to pan out for us, I know first we need to draft him but I'm already making plans for when we do.

1. referring to him only by his name and in all caps - WALTER
2. nicknaming him - der Torgeneral
3. Declaring any time he goals that "The Goal Square is sacred"

But understanding the references isn't essential, I'm just all in on slapping this oak tree in the goal square and letting him batter the shit out of packs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back