Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If a bid for Croft came before our first pick, and O'Sullivan was available, I'd pass on Croft. O'Sullivan, O'Donnell, and Busslinger have a combination of traits that could work as a back line trio for a decade.
Big fan of O'Sullivan. Shouldn't be an issue though. I doubt anyone bids with him still on the board.

O’Sullivan already has a good build on him, could see him getting games next year if we land him.

I do worry that we will overlook him even if he is available in favour for the best mid at that point.

Ideal scenario would be If we could somehow get the Suns pick and keep our top 10. Then we could pick a mid at that point and hopefully grab O’Sullivan as well.

Then match a Croft bid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s O’Sullivan like athletically? I know he’s strong. Wary of another Kieran Collins situation

What’s O’Sullivan like athletically? I know he’s strong. Wary of another Kieran Collins situation

Has good closing speed and is certainly more athletic then Collins ever was. He was able to play on smaller players like Harley Reid at nationals and did a good job.

Think Curtin and Murphy are better athletes to the naked eye, but O'Sullivan I'd still label as athletic with very good endurance.

I do worry that we will overlook him even if he is available in favour for the best mid at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Will we have many options to select from though? Seen a few say we can just take a midfielder next year, how ‘next years’ draft is stacked; I’ve heard that same thing for over ten years

I think we will somehow need to trade up to get a top quality player, I wouldn’t want to chase any specific position but rather go after someone’s ability to influence a game
Like Watsons skill around the big sticks for example

Will we have many options to select from though? Seen a few say we can just take a midfielder next year, how ‘next years’ draft is stacked; I’ve heard that same thing for over ten years

I think we will somehow need to trade up to get a top quality player, I wouldn’t want to chase any specific position but rather go after someone’s ability to influence a game
Like Watsons skill around the big sticks for example

There's probably only Wilson to pick from in this position and even then he may be unavailable depending on where we finish up.

Last year I wanted to trade back and pick a combination of Weddle + George/Cowan. This year I'm more of the view we should trade up and have been for some time. Duursma, McKercher and Watson are all good list fits for us and have the ability to influence the game in a big way. I'd be happy with either one of those. Sanders too would be handy, but is more of an accumulator.

There's probably only Wilson to pick from in this position and even then he may be unavailable depending on where we finish up.

Last year I wanted to trade back and pick a combination of Weddle + George/Cowan. This year I'm more of the view we should trade up and have been for some time. Duursma, McKercher and Watson are all good list fits for us and have the ability to influence the game in a big way. I'd be happy with either one of those. Sanders too would be handy, but is more of an accumulator.

I don’t want sanders. Happy with the other 3 early projected midfielders though.

Not sure If we can get high enough for one of them.

2023 STATE COMBINE LIST

ThomasAnastasopoulos31-05-05 VIC CGeelong Falcons
OliverBadr04-06-05 VIC MOakleigh Chargers
KynanBrown13-01-05VIC MOakleigh Chargers
WillBrown16-06-05 VIC MSandringham Dragons
HughByrne19-10-05 VIC CBendigo Pioneers
LachlanCabor28-09-05NSW/ACTSydney Swans Academy
RyCantwell16-08-05VIC MEastern Ranges
LachlanCharleson29-01-05 VIC CGWV Rebels
JoshChatfield02-08-00VIC CFootscray Bulldogs (VFL)
JackCocking27-01-05 WAEast Fremantle
JedDignan03-02-05 SANorth Adelaide
BostonDowling08-04-05 VIC COakleigh Chargers
CharlieEdwards18-05-05VIC MSandringham Dragons
MutazEl Nour14-08-01 VIC MRichmond (VFL)
LoganEvans07-10-05SANorwood
LiamFawcett22-04-05SACentral District
KristianFerronato19-01-05 VIC MNorthern Knights
JoeFonti24-12-04WAClaremont
HarrisonFrancis19-06-05SAGlenelg
HugoGarcia22-05-05 VIC MCalder Cannons
OscarGawith23-05-05 VIC CGWV Rebels
JacobGrant18-07-05VIC CDandenong Stingrays
CharltonHarrop13-07-05 VIC MSandringham Dragons
OscarHine-Baston18-10-04 WAPerth
AlexHolt28-01-05SASturt
BenHopkins28-07-05VIC CDandenong Stingrays
TewJiath02-03-05 VIC CGippsland Power
OdinJones20-09-05 WAWest Perth
LukerKentfield10-09-05WASubiaco
BraydenLaplanche30-11-05 VIC MEastern Ranges
CoenLivingstone25-05-05 WAPerth
HenryMaerschel11-10-05 SASturt
CalebMay13-05-05NSW/ACTSydney Swans Academy
CharlieMcCormack02-04-05NSW/ACTGWS Giants Academy
HeathOllington10-12-04TASTasmania Devils
GeordiePayne06-11-05TASTasmania Devils
JoePike17-05-05 VIC CGeelong Falcons
OliverPoole18-03-05 VIC CBendigo Pioneers
LochRawlinson01-06-05 SASturt
MichaelRudd14-05-05 VIC CGeelong Falcons
KobeShipp12-05-05VIC CDandenong Stingrays
LucaSlade03-11-05SASturt
OskarSmartt26-10-05 VIC CBendigo Pioneers
LachlanSmith05-10-05 VIC CGippsland Power
PatrickSnell18-07-05NT/QLDBrisbane Lions Academy
MahmoudTaha04-11-05 VIC MCalder Cannons
HarveyThomas08-08-05 NSW/ACTGWS Giants Academy/
Oakleigh Chargers
CooperTrembath17-10-05 VIC MEastern Ranges
OrlandoTurner15-05-05NT/SANT Academy/Norwood
BaileyVan De Heuvel31-07-98VIC CGeelong Cats (VFL)
Samvan Rooyen24-02-05WAClaremont
RileyWeatherill21-11-05VIC MEastern Ranges
NickWilliams02-05-04 QLDGold Coast Suns Academy
RileyWills08-07-04WASubiaco
BillyWilson16-06-05VIC CDandenong Stingrays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want sanders. Happy with the other 3 early projected midfielders though.

Not sure If we can get high enough for one of them.

Yeah, Sanders isn't really the type I'd want to be trading up for.

Hoping Caddy can rise up into the top 5, that will give us a better look. Has kicked 18.12 and averaged 20 possessions in his last 5 games. Hoping Curtin is either at North or West Coast which will help also. Apparently interviewed really well at both teams if rumours are to be believed.

Van De Heuvel and El Nour with invites as well.

It's good to see Chatfield there. I mentioned on here years back that he was a lazy U18 player and I think we made the right call not to Cat B rookie list him at the time. Certainly had talent. Good to see him work hard and hopefully he gets an opportunity (with us).

Curtain, Reid, Sanders, as reward for being crap, as reward for poor list management, as reward for inability to rise despite having the most first round picks on their list of any team.
Interesting how north manage a list full of first rounders who will be looking for big contracts round about the same time in a few years? They've got a serious imbalance.

My slight concern with taking too many talls around the same age bracket is that we become a farm for clubs to try and poach talls off of. I understand we would be compensated with picks but that still doesn’t help us in the immediate future
I’d have wanted us to pass on Croft in a good draft, but the depth of this draft seems extremely shallow

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Back