2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

So apparently the umpires asked Shakib if he wanted to withdraw the timed out appeal twice and he still decided to go ahead with it.

Sounds like the umpires didn't want to give Mathews out but if the captain insists on going ahead with the appeal they have to give them out
Good on him. About time someone had the balls to go through with it.

So apparently the umpires asked Shakib if he wanted to withdraw the timed out appeal twice and he still decided to go ahead with it.

Sounds like the umpires didn't want to give Mathews out but if the captain insists on going ahead with the appeal they have to give them out
One of my pet hates, that. They've appealed, just do your job, Marais.

Well at this timed out controversy has added some interest to a match that didn't have much interest otherwise.

It’s funny to see people who just a few months ago said a wickets a wicket if within the law of the game are now suddenly calling on the spirit of cricket and calling players grubs for appealing…

It’s funny to see people who just a few months ago said a wickets a wicket if within the law of the game are now suddenly calling on the spirit of cricket and calling players grubs for appealing…
It's funny that I'm agreeing with a pom on this 😂

Both deserved to be given and were. Really is quite obvious

On another note - cricket really does love using subjective language in the rules

The mankad rule would be so much easier if they simply said when the front foot landed instead of the current state of play

Timed out uses “ready to receive the ball” - surely there is something more objective - like getting to the pitch

If someone drags out a couple of minutes after getting to the middle before the first ball - it’s really no different to doing it after 10 balls

Interesting, I always thought it was getting on to the ground. Would have been handy on Saturday, could have timed out the opening batsman, although I’m guessing it doesn’t affect openers, Davey Warner and Matthew Hayden would have been timed out every game…

As the 4th umpire just stated in the innings break, Matthews was OVER the 2 minute allocation BEFORE the strap broke. So in the end forget the helmet strap, he was already going over the limit. Deserved what occured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, I always thought it was getting on to the ground. Would have been handy on Saturday, could have timed out the opening batsman, although I’m guessing it doesn’t affect openers, Davey Warner and Matthew Hayden would have been timed out every game…

Rule changed in like 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back