AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 Round 05 - Blues v Swans Saturday 4:05 pm @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Was like that all afternoon. Baffling the inconsistencies.
Yep, its very frustrating. On the plus side you can see the bones of a really good team, it the inexperience and decision making that's cruelling us more than anything else I reckon.

The umpiring was woeful. So many dubious HTB, especially in 2Q against us. Then we literally could not buy one ourselves. Disgraceful by the crew in yellow.

Having said that, it was clear the game plan was to retain possession by chipping it around and looking for the short pass. What was apparent was that there are some members of our squad whose a) kicking skills are not up to scratch b) decision making poor regarding when to go long. There were times where we just either overused the ball, allowing Carlton to set up in defence or turned it over due to a basic skill error. I think we should've been a bit more direct, especially with the form Priv was in and to utilise the run and carry we possess from Molloy, Hurley and Ham.

Really quiet games from Molloy and Ham, with Molloy possibly hampered by her elbow injury and Ham fresh off yet another injury. Gardiner, Morphett, Heads, Priv and McEvoy our best. Really like Gardiner's game. She has that ability to find space in tight, can burst away from the contest and is clean with her disposal. Not sure if I'm becoming obsessed with Morphett but does anyone else agree with me that she's the best kick in the team? Definitely has the best fend 🤣

Can't believe I missed this:

A confused start
Just as the umpire was ready to throw the ball in the air to start the game, Carlton's defensive and forward lines realised they had set up at wrong ends of the ground and had to fix it quicksmart. With the midfielders watching on confused, the Blues' defenders and forwards sprinted to the opposite ends of the ground to begin the game.

A four goal haul from Bec Privitelli wasn't enough as the Blues edged us out by 5 points on Friday afternoon at Ikon Park.

“We did a lot right, it was just that little last piece of the puzzle.”
Hear from the always insightful Scott Gowans who spoke to media after our 5-point loss to the Blues this evening:

CARLTON v SYDNEY

8 - Laura Gardiner (SYD)
7 - Abbie McKay (CARL)
6 - Mimi Hill (CARL)
5 - Breann Moody (CARL)
2 - Lisa Steane (SYD)
1 - Kerryn Peterson (CARL)
1 - Ally Morphett (SYD)

Leaderboard​

43 - Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
38 - Monique Conti (RICH)
36 - Kate Hore (MELB)