brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Our AFLW pre-season officially gets underway today.

The girls are kicking off their pre-season with a trip to Cairns

Discuss all things AFC AFLW pre-season in here as we get pumped up for another great season!

Our AFLW pre-season officially gets underway today.

The girls are kicking off their pre-season with a trip to Cairns

Discuss all things AFC AFLW pre-season in here as we get pumped up for another great season!
So it’s now officially confirmed, the Adelaide Football club has organised another pre-season trip to Queensland…

1717383553742.gif

Well at least it’s got to be better than the last one they organised… right?

3orieN0XlPCpJLGJFu.webp

Well it’s certainly different… given recent evidence of Joel Selwood’s communication skills I’m not that sure being able to speak more efficiently and effectively makes overly that much difference on field

Well it’s certainly different… given recent evidence of Joel Selwood’s communication skills I’m not that sure being able to speak more efficiently and effectively makes overly that much difference on field

Haha, sure, why not.

Sounds like just something fun to break up the monotony, rather than anything meaningful.

Going by a video released with Noffy by the club Teah Charlton’s ankle obviously didn’t respond to treatment + the moon boot she was wearing for quite a while and has had to have surgery and is still on crutches.

Would have to think she’d either be a doubt to play early in the season or at the very least be very hampered with a limited pre-season. Could be a bit unsettling for the side given she’s really the only defensive option Clarke has tried to utilise around stoppages in recent seasons to try and balance the trio of ’see-ball-get-ball’ hunters; Hatchard, Marinoff and Ponter.

Also given historically they only run a thin rotation through that midfield group of 4-5 players it will hopefully mean one of the likes of Boileau, Kustermann or Levy will get a chance to at least try to show that they can provide an impact in that midfield early.

Last edited:
Not a lot of outside experience in our coaching ranks for this season

Head Coach - Matthew Clarke
Forwards Coach - Jack Madgen
Midfield Coach - Courtney Cramey
Backline Coach - Marijana Rajcic
Ruck Coach - Kieran Strachan
Midfield Development Coach - Renee Forth
Development Coach - Hannah Button

Ruck coach 😂

I think its great we are giving our female players a platform to take a step into coaching

In saying that it looks a very very cheap model

Do we actually have any war chest?

Pretty much along the same lines as what it looks like at every other club currently, as much as most people would like it to improve, clubs, especially non-Victorian clubs hardly have that much to incentivise assistants to come and do the job and that’s even more the case in the part-time AFLW coaching space as they are heavily reliant on those who around the state & has the time post-AFL/SANFL season. Pretty much the only ones that are available are those who are in the state, new to coaching or are/been involved with the club even then the time commitments are always going to be a little problematic.

Port dipped in to get Daniel Merrett down from Brisbane but that was more to do with helping Lauren Arnell out who proved last season that at this stage she is far too inexperienced to be a senior coach where as someone with Clarke’s experience doesn’t need that senior assistant.

Speaking of positions at the club, it will be interesting when the captaincy call gets made, Sarah Allan came out last week and said she’d like it:

I actually thought they might’ve been holding off Eloise Jones’ contract announcement to announce it along with the captaincy but that obviously wasn’t the case.

Wouldn’t rule out those 2 being announced Co-Captains but they need to be careful with this decision & make sure they select the player that is least likely to get affected by it and Allan already has shown it’s tough to captain as a full-back & when filling in has shown she isn’t the most natural when it comes to those extra responsibilities that come along with being captain, where as Jones still hasn’t totally proven herself to be consistent enough at the level plus can go off the boil occasionally.

Still maintain the only player that won’t be hampered by the responsibility and will still perform, lead from the front and fill the roles of being be vocal both on field and off field is Marinoff. Either way they should just get it out the way and announce it.

Not exactly the most awe-inspiring coaching group. Still, at least they'll all have relationships previously established. Surely Strachan and Madgen will be too busy actually training/playing themselves though? During the AFLW preseason at least.

I agree that Marinoff is the obvious choice for captain. Sarah Allan would be a good option too though.

Last edited:
It does look a bit uninspiring but only because they are all from within the club basically

It does make more sense for us to go down that path because we're actually successful. 2x premiership winning head coach, and four assistants who were part of premiership teams

Would be a complete disaster for the men's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does look a bit uninspiring but only because they are all from within the club basically

It does make more sense for us to go down that path because we're actually successful. 2x premiership winning head coach, and four assistants who were part of premiership teams

Would be a complete disaster for the men's

Fair call, although Forth and Button weren't exactly key pillars in those premiership sides. Both were fringe players at the time they won their last flag. It would be like bringing back Jas Hewitt as our ruck coach.

Still, I guess Forth was a marquee player originally. And Cramey and Rajcic is still a pretty damn good duo working under Clarke.

I have no sense whatsoever about Madgen's role as a forward. Did he ever play a forward? He had two career goals at Collingwood.

Fair call, although Forth and Button weren't exactly key pillars in those premiership sides. Both were fringe players at the time they won their last flag. It would be like bringing back Jas Hewitt as our ruck coach.

Still, I guess Forth was a marquee player originally.
That's true but they are only development coaches. That's the perfect role for them, to develop their skills as a coach while having the foundation of coming through a successful program

That's true but they are only development coaches. That's the perfect role for them, to develop their skills as a coach while having the foundation of coming through a successful program
What exactly does a development coach do? I figure their role is either to work underneath the "main" line coaches, or else just to work with the younger players?

What exactly does a development coach do? I figure their role is either to work underneath the "main" line coaches, or else just to work with the younger players?

I see it as kind of a double meaning. They're there to develop the younger players while also developing their skills as a coach. Usually they aren't very experienced even at AFL level. So I think it would be a mixture of both working under the line coaches with a focus on the younger players

Gould added an extension to this season’s deal, imagine this is a reorganisation of what tier payment she’s on too, given her importance given the list makeup it is good to keep her here after she almost left with Prowse last year.

She's very important to our premiership chances over the next couple of seasons, so good extension :thumbsu:

Wonder if Krissie Steen (ex SAFC and NAFC SANFL premiership coach ) has had a long enough break from coaching.
She’d make a great addition to the ranks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back