Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd quarter thoughts:

• Carlton helped by a lot of experimentation that quarter, but they brought heat & got on top, some of their better players Hill, Cordner & Moody ect. stood up.
  • Midfield got exposed getting too bunched up around the ground ball and Carlton was able to find options laterally
  • Crows able to get control once Marinoff & Kelly came back on, probably showed some depth deficiencies in the midfield

Sarah Allan playing high up as the extra body at midfield stoppages has been a weird move all game.
Yeh, not sure about this move. I mean, she's a big body, but she's standing outside the pack waiting to receive. She also has no opponent most of the time at these stoppages, so bit hard to judge. I mean, she's an AA defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some full time thoughts:

• Can’t take much away from the last quarter, defence looked much better with Biddell and Prowse back there
  • Tonon is a god damn forward, stop trying to play her as a defender, looked much more promising in that 4th term
  • Really struggle to see Tarlinton getting a run unless injures strike, might be harsh after one viewing at this level but everything I’ve seen from her including at SANFLW level I struggle to believe she was the best tall option available last draft.
  • Got exposed with leg speed in that 2nd half which is a slightly worrying factor with this team, unfortunately patterns of unless Marinoff or Hatchard get the ball forward from a contested pack they can be burnt away from the contest were there.
  • Same old forward line issues weren’t helped by Carlton dropping extras back and stopping promising forward thrusts, forward line desperately needs two tall marking options but unfortunately the team also needs Biddell and Prowse down back
  • The Sarah Allan high up the ground/midfield move lasted way too long to just be a one-off experiment, do wonder what they are thinking, do they want her to get more involved in play? Anyway don't feel they should waste one of the rare talls on the list let alone a multi-All Australian defender in that role.
  • Said it last year and I’ll continue to say it as I know they’re gonna play them both, you can’t have a fully functional forward line if Waterhouse & Martin are both in it, they don’t work well with each other at all.
  • Kustermann did not help herself to get a regular game, she’s easily good enough for the level but just couldn’t put it together today
  • Randall’s role will be interesting this season, today started in the middle, then dropped back post-stoppage and also played as a key back in the 2nd quarter and spent no time up forward despite being named there. Definitely prefer her in this role if it’s a sign of things to come.

Depending on Gould can’t see too many changes to the side from that 2023 preliminary final team for round 1, only Boileau, Levy and Munyard really put their hand up to make their way in.

Their predicted team:

B: Biddell, Prowse
HB Muller, S.Allan, Goodwin
C: Kelly, Hatchard, Newman
HF: Waterhouse, Ponter, Boileau
F: Jones, Gould
R: J.Allan, Marinoff, Randall

I/C: Munyard, Martin, Levy, Thompson

Some full time thoughts:

• Can’t take much away from the last quarter, defence looked much better with Biddell and Prowse back there
  • Tonon is a god damn forward, stop trying to play her as a defender, looked much more promising in that 4th term
  • Really struggle to see Tarlinton getting a run unless injures strike, might be harsh after one viewing at this level but everything I’ve seen from her including at SANFLW level I struggle to believe she was the best tall option available last draft.
  • Got exposed with leg speed in that 2nd half which is a slightly worrying factor with this team, unfortunately patterns of unless Marinoff or Hatchard get the ball forward from a contested pack they can be burnt away from the contest were there.
  • Same old forward line issues weren’t helped by Carlton dropping extras back and stopping promising forward thrusts, forward line desperately needs two tall marking options but unfortunately the team also needs Biddell and Prowse down back
  • The Sarah Allan high up the ground/midfield move lasted way too long to just be a one-off experiment, do wonder what they are thinking, do they want her to get more involved in play? Anyway don't feel they should waste one of the rare talls on the list let alone a multi-All Australian defender in that role.
  • Said it last year and I’ll continue to say it as I know they’re gonna play them both, you can’t have a fully functional forward line if Waterhouse & Martin are both in it, they don’t work well with each other at all.
  • Kustermann did not help herself to get a regular game, she’s easily good enough for the level but just couldn’t put it together today
  • Randall’s role will be interesting this season, today started in the middle, then dropped back post-stoppage and also played as a key back in the 2nd quarter and spent no time up forward despite being named there. Definitely prefer her in this role if it’s a sign of things to come.

Depending on Gould can’t see too many changes to the side from that 2023 preliminary final team for round 1, only Boileau, Levy and Munyard really put their hand up to make their way in.

Their predicted team:

B: Biddell, Prowse
HB Muller, S.Allan, Goodwin
C: Kelly, Hatchard, Newman
HF: Waterhouse, Ponter, Boileau
F: Jones, Gould
R: J.Allan, Marinoff, Randall

I/C: Munyard, Martin, Levy, Thompson
I'd prefer Randall in the role that Sarah Allan was playing today.
I think I'd prefer Waterhouse in the team than Martin. Waterhouse has a bigger kick and more speed.
You wouldn't have Tonon in the final team? I'd have her over Martin.

To be fair to Waterhouse like most small forwards they are very depended on how the team’s going, when the team was up and about early especially in the 1st quarter they ran well into space to provide a good option and had a hand in some good plays but as the game went on and the performance became a bit more lacklustre as is Waterhouse’s tendency tried to do too much and not a lot of it came off, played for a free kick on the 3qtr time siren which resulted in a goal which came at a good time.

I'd prefer Randall in the role that Sarah Allan was playing today.
I think I'd prefer Waterhouse in the team than Martin. Waterhouse has a bigger kick and more speed.
You wouldn't have Tonon in the final team? I'd have her over Martin.
Personally I definitely would like to see Tonon given a fair crack up forward instead but was selecting what Clarke & co would most likely go with, they really want that tackling/unselfish/pressure forward in Martin instead.

It’s a shame what Martin has turned into as a player, she started out as a tough in and under ball winner but has just been morphed into the women’s side’s Murphy clone, just there to pressure a ball carrier and trying to get on the end of a ball chain movement in the forward 50.

Was that Waterhouse that passed the ball off when she was within 10m from goal at the end of the game and the player she passed to, dropped the ball.

Nah that was Martin, again trying to show just how unselfish she is to the coaching group, Kustermann true to form for today was the one who dropped it 😓

From Clarke it sounds like Biddell forward was only because Gould was out but Sarah Allan higher up the ground could be something tried in the year. Prowse also sounds likely to be the backup ruck option.

Interestingly enough both Levy & Tonon were among the top possession getters yesterday;

(Ebony Marinoff 31, Anne Hatchard 23, Taylah Levy 19, Maddy Newman 18, Zoe Prowse 16, Brooke Tonon 16)

Little puff piece on Boileu:

Adelaide recruit Brooke Boileau believes an “intense” first AFLW pre-season is set to hold her in good stead for the Crows’ 2024 campaign.

The Crows selected Boileau with their first pick at the 2023 AFLW National Draft after solid national championships for SA, in which she averaged the third-most disposals and clearances across the carnival.

Speaking to AFC Media after the Crows’ final pre-season hit-out against Carlton, Boileau said training in an elite environment had helped her develop.

“I have absolutely loved this pre-season and being exposed to that next level of intensity and speed and the different programs we’ve had to do has been challenging,” Boileau said.

“I have learnt a lot from the coaches and the players, especially with doing the small things right and what I’ve been trying to add to my game.

“I’m very hopeful that I can try and crack into the team and get myself a game.

“But I think just being able to take away all the feedback that I've got from the coaches and the specific key areas I need to work on, has been great.”

The 19-year-old said she had been working hard to build up her strength to help her match it with experienced opponents.

“There’s bigger bodies on the field, so I’ve been trying to build that strength to be strong enough,” Boileau said.

“The contests are a lot harder but I think the pre-season has prepared not only me but everyone well enough for this season.

“It’s been a very big step up but I have loved the challenge and I love competing."

Boileau split her time between the midfield and the forward lines during the trial against the Blues, catching the eye of Coach Matthew Clarke with hergood run, pressure and some nice aerial moments.

The Crows kick off their 2024 campaign with Showdown against Port Adelaide on Saturday, August 31 and Boileau says players are keen to get the season underway.

“The energy is very high and there is a lot of excitement in the group heading into Round One,” Boileau said.

“Everyone is so driven and working really hard. We’re all on the same page with what needs to be done.

“We are such a tight-knit group and we do put a lot of emphasis on being team-first.

“Doc does a really good job in making sure everyone is team-first and we want to strive for that as well.”

So it seems we enter yet another AFLW season with essentially no interest or attention from the AFLW media or other clubs.

The annual Captains' Call once again failed to mention the Crows at all for the premiership or the minor premiership, or any Crows player for the rising star award, while only two captains nominated a Crows player for the competition B&F (Marinoff x2) or the leading goal kicker (Ponter, Gould).

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1201215/captains-predictions-ahead-of-2024-nab-aflw-season-launch

Meanwhile Gemma Bastiani (who is usually effusive with praise for the Crows) posted her "complete season guide" with "all the details" ahead of the AFLW season opener, that literally didn't mention the Crows or any Crows players once, other than a cursory comment that we were one of the teams Brisbane beat in the finals last year.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1202597/movers-shakers-new-faces-your-complete-nab-aflw-guide

I guess it gets boring to say "the Crows will probably be very good again". I suppose it doesn't hurt to fly under the rader a bit. Or maybe missing consecutive grand finals for the first time in our history means people have written us off?

So it seems we enter yet another AFLW season with essentially no interest or attention from the AFLW media or other clubs.

The annual Captains' Call once again failed to mention the Crows at all for the premiership or the minor premiership, or any Crows player for the rising star award, while only two captains nominated a Crows player for the competition B&F (Marinoff x2) or the leading goal kicker (Ponter, Gould).

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1201215/captains-predictions-ahead-of-2024-nab-aflw-season-launch

Meanwhile Gemma Bastiani (who is usually effusive with praise for the Crows) posted her "complete season guide" with "all the details" ahead of the AFLW season opener, that literally didn't mention the Crows or any Crows players once, other than a cursory comment that we were one of the teams Brisbane beat in the finals last year.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1202597/movers-shakers-new-faces-your-complete-nab-aflw-guide

I guess it gets boring to say "the Crows will probably be very good again". I suppose it doesn't hurt to fly under the rader a bit. Or maybe missing consecutive grand finals for the first time in our history means people have written us off?
I've noticed this a bit over the past few seasons (particularly from Bastiani) I reckon probably since Erin left. They only ever seem to mention Hatchard & Marinoff, rarely giving any credit to the kids or new recruits...Kelly had to string a few together before anyone really took notice. It's pretty annoying but I'm more than happy to sneak up on em!

I've usually found Bastiani is pretty high on the Crows. Loves Ponter, Sarah Allan, etc and I swear she has a schoolgirl crush on Prowse, lol.

Sarah Black is the one that always picks the strangest Crows players to trumpet. I remember she kept going on about Lisa Whiteley a few seasons back, then it was Mackenzie Dowrick she was big into.

In any event, the CTTG podcast just did their season preview and all three of them had the Crows finishing top 2, so oh well :)

Last season, our fixture was heavily tilted towards the back end of the season, with the first five matches all expected to be fairly easy wins, and all of our most difficult matches coming in a four-week burst towards the end.

This year it looks a bit more spread out. There are the old "big three" opponents of Brisbane (round 5), Melbourne (round 7) and North (round 9), which are slightly less close together than it appears since there are actually two matches in round 7. Meanwhile we have Essendon (round 4), Collingwood (round 8) and Geelong (round 10) who are widely expected to be top 8 teams.

The starting three rounds of Port, Fremantle and Hawthorn should be wins, but all three of them will be looking to improve on last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back