Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder of the crowd figures they need to reach for extra matches…

So 4496 was the avg attendance for Rd 1 last year. However last year round 1 did have the Showdown at the larger capacity Norwood Oval, two games at Ikon Park (1 involving Collingwood, the other Carlton) as well as no home game for either Gold Coast or GWS.

It felt like a lot less to be honest, but maybe I'm remembering crowds from when the men's season finishes, I always thought round 1 pulled in some decent numbers though.

I do wonder if the $15 is too big of a jump from $10 in one season.

Realistically, this week was a perfectly good week of crowd for the W. People will naturally compare it to the 6k yardstick, but I don't really think this is a realistic number without a few big games to drag up the avg (such as an Optus Derby or an AO showdown.) Tickets for the showdown at Alberton were completely sold-out but that still only yielded a crowd below 6k for example.

For now I think it's best that the crowds just look good for TV to sell the product, and have a good vibe for those in attendance which I think was effectively achieved in most games this week. Kudos for the broadcasters in the Geelong game for flipping the camera position to show off the crowd there - looks much better compared to matches such as the one in Gold Coast where the entire crowd is behind the camera so you're only looking at empty seats. Even a small crowd there comes across much better than nothing. I know it's not really possible but it'd be nice if the camera faced the grandstand at grounds like Windy Hill.

Realistically, this week was a perfectly good week of crowd for the W. People will naturally compare it to the 6k yardstick, but I don't really think this is a realistic number without a few big games to drag up the avg (such as an Optus Derby or an AO showdown.) Tickets for the showdown at Alberton were completely sold-out but that still only yielded a crowd below 6k for example.

For now I think it's best that the crowds just look good for TV to sell the product, and have a good vibe for those in attendance which I think was effectively achieved in most games this week. Kudos for the broadcasters in the Geelong game for flipping the camera position to show off the crowd there - looks much better compared to matches such as the one in Gold Coast where the entire crowd is behind the camera so you're only looking at empty seats. Even a small crowd there comes across much better than nothing. I know it's not really possible but it'd be nice if the camera faced the grandstand at grounds like Windy Hill.

Completely agree about the camera, the Giants asked channel 7 for this change year's ago and got refused. Too many issues with cabling, the commentary box etc they were told. I was interested to see the commentators sat on the camera side in the stands though. I wasn't sure why they needed to do this. A subtle complaint by Nicholson there, who is actually my favourite commentator, but let's see how long it lasts if the staff are complaining.

Screenshot_20240901-110527_Instagram.jpg

Is there a small chance of Dogs/Hawks going over 95K with the additional W tickets?

Not many finals hit the 95K mark.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The reallocated tickets they give to major sponsors.

95k is hard because they sell a couple thousand less standing room tickets when compared to the GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a small chance of Dogs/Hawks going over 95K with the additional W tickets?

Not many finals hit the 95K mark.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The attendance is purely on the "big 3" in finals
MCC members
afl members
Corporate allocations

Given hawthorn hasn't played finals in 6 years, it may push the attendance figure up a bit

The biggest non-GF attendances in the AFL era not to involve Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond:

View attachment 2100429

You'd like to think Friday night will give top spot a shake.

Looking at my weather app, the only time looking like rain for a few hours all this week in Melbourne is 5pm to midnight Friday night. Terrible timing.

Largest Finals crowd for PA at Adelaide Oval is 49,886 for an EF vs Richmond in 2014. Of course they've been very unlucky with the timing of Covid as they hosted many sold out finals in 2020/21 with the restricted capacities. But hopefully tonight we should see them exceed 50k.

The largest QF at Adelaide Oval was for the Crows vs GWS in 2017, also on a Thursday night with 52,805. Will be interesting to see how tonight's crowd stacks up.

So within reason we're hopefully looking at:

• 50k for Port/Geel
  • 90k for WB/Haw
  • low to mid 40s for Syd/GWS
  • low to mid 30s for Bris/Carl

for a total between 210k-220k.

The only other time in week 1 of the finals there was 1 game in Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney was 2004 when the total was 174k.

The years with only 1 MCG game are:

1725508746387.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back