News 2024 AFL Fixture Discussion & Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

A question:
Putting any financial benefits aside, where would you guys prefer the Giants to play post Easter when Showgrounds is out of action? Say, two games, Canberra? SCG? Blacktown? Henson Park? Accor? Where would be best for crowds and growth?
This year it was unavailable for eight rounds.
Cheers.
Blacktown ???!!! Haha. It’s okay for watching a low-crowd VFL match, if you’re an enthusiast. No transport, negligible parking (and it’s off site), if it’s a sunny day the sun is merciless, there’ll be a snake break, and the one canteen is like a poorly run tuck shop selling only heart attack and obesity “food”. I settled on “chips” which had so much oil the Americans would have been interested in invading.

All other suggestions are realistic, I like Colonial’s idea above.

Blacktown ???!!! Haha. It’s okay for watching a low-crowd VFL match, if you’re an enthusiast. No transport, negligible parking (and it’s off site), if it’s a sunny day the sun is merciless, there’ll be a snake break, and the one canteen is like a poorly run tuck shop selling only heart attack and obesity “food”. I settled on “chips” which had so much oil the Americans would have been interested in invading.

All other suggestions are realistic, I like Colonial’s idea above.
Thanks Fingercuts and welcome. Hope to see you post allot as we continue to build this great club.

Post your Giants story and introduce yourself when you would like

Our away Sydney Derby at the SCG.

Maybe a double header with the Swans at SCG or Accor maybe celebrating the history of the code in Sydney, get the grassroots clubs to all bring stalls to show off their clubs get members/players etc.

That will cover the Show.

Canberra team 20.

Edit. I have pushed Blacktown in the past against say a Suns or Freo, but the place is a slog to get to and then you are very bound to the weather and poor options for food and drink.

Accor or an SCG home game, in my opinion, would have to be a double header with the Swans. Make it an event.
So, over. eight rounds, just the one home game?

Hi guys, just a quick question about seating at Engie stadium. Which is the best end for away supporters to sit?
Scoreboard end is the away end, that's where your cheer squad will go.

In reality, supporters of each team get scattered throughout most of the stadium, but the scoreboard end will be "identifiably" the away team end.

Club appears to be trying something new for the Gold Coast game.

Looks like unreserved seating (categorised into sections) with GA pricing for the public.

Good to try this on lower drawing games to see if it something that could be used more often on lower drawing games which could ultimately cause an uptick in attendance.

Keen to see how this goes.

1718774960971.png

Club appears to be trying something new for the Gold Coast game.

Looks like unreserved seating (categorised into sections) with GA pricing for the public.

Good to try this on lower drawing games to see if it something that could be used more often on lower drawing games which could ultimately cause an uptick in attendance.

Keen to see how this goes.

View attachment 2024021

You know what is strange, the afl I'm sure are worried about optics of a small crowd in western sydney and that's why I assumed they scheduled giants v gold coast in gather round. Then they double up with another gws v gc game late in the season? Strange considering you have 17 clubs that you could choose to put into the 8 home games at the showgrounds, that you'd choose the lowest possible drawing one.

You know what is strange, the afl I'm sure are worried about optics of a small crowd in western sydney and that's why I assumed they scheduled giants v gold coast in gather round. Then they double up with another gws v gc game late in the season? Strange considering you have 17 clubs that you could choose to put into the 8 home games at the showgrounds, that you'd choose the lowest possible drawing one.

Agree but I think it's good in the sense that we can see where our raw Giants numbers are.

Last year we played 3-4 of the larger Victorian clubs (Essendon , Hawks, Tigers and Carlton) at Engie. This year we're playing 2 of the larger Victorian clubs this year at Engie (Pies and Carlton) with the remainder being smaller.

If I were to make a comment about the non-big games where we're playing small clubs, it looks like there's growth there but masked by external factors (rain/trackwork/full car parks for Pink).

It's difficult to make a like for like comparison between last season and this season due to varying factors.

I'm not sure if these two SA clubs draw similar numbers usually but for arguments sake, last year's Crows game was 8169 whereas the the PA game was 8,914. It drew 9% higher than the Crows game.

Even the Kangaroos game drew 8,034 this year which would have probably drawn a lot less last year (we still had wet weather/trackwork/Pink on with full car parks this year).

We know now rain makes about 15% difference (PA game drew 15% more than the Bulldogs game, if the Bulldogs game was a sunny Saturday, could've drawn more but we'll never know). I'm sure the club has the data and they can extrapolate it based on various factors much better than I can.

I'll be keen to see the two games we can make a better comparison on (Carlton and Freo) compared to last year.

Carlton will certainly exceed last year's attendance with a 7:30 pm Saturday timeslot during school holidays.

We wouldn't have gotten that timeslot if the league/club didn't think it would draw a crowd. It'll probably be the third highest attended at Engie of this season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if these two SA clubs draw similar numbers usually but for arguments sake, last year's Crows game was 8169 whereas the the PA game was 8,914. It drew 9% higher than the Crows game.
Crows traditionally draw significantly more than Port, everything else being equal.

Carlton will certainly exceed last year's attendance with a 7:30 pm Saturday timeslot during school holidays.

We wouldn't have gotten that timeslot if the league/club didn't think it would draw a crowd. It'll probably be the third highest attended at Engie of this season.
It's still a few weeks away so I'm sure there'll be plenty of movement on ticket sales closer to then but what would be your estimate for the crowd based on how its looking? I'm heading up with a few others for the game so I've been keeping an eye on the Ticketmaster map and noticed that none of the 2nd tier stands are open. Corresponding game last year was just shy of 10k, so hopefully that'll be comfortably beaten but I'm finding it difficult to get a read on. Regardless, looking forward to check out Engine - I've heard good things.

It's still a few weeks away so I'm sure there'll be plenty of movement on ticket sales closer to then but what would be your estimate for the crowd based on how its looking? I'm heading up with a few others for the game so I've been keeping an eye on the Ticketmaster map and noticed that none of the 2nd tier stands are open. Corresponding game last year was just shy of 10k, so hopefully that'll be comfortably beaten but I'm finding it difficult to get a read on. Regardless, looking forward to check out Engine - I've heard good things.
It's an interesting question and hard to predict with our fan base. We are spread out and many rely on public transport, family friendly start times, and clear weather to make the trip. Our crowds are up @10% this year and your mob are flying and seem to be travelling in good numbers. The time slot looks ok and with decent weather, then 12k+ would be nice. That's not an impressive number, but it is enough to create quite a good atmosphere. The 2nd tier stands are usually only opened for derbies and finals. The round zero game against the Pies was an exception. Engie is a nice stadium and you'll get the chance to walk around it, if that's your thing.

It's a great viewing ground, so wherever you end up you'll be happy.
I reckon with both sides going well, we'll drag a decent crowd. Im optimistically hoping for 14k

I reckon with both sides going well, we'll drag a decent crowd. Im optimistically hoping for 14k
I think it can be done, Giants numbers could swell for this + Carlton fans and neutrals (which we don't often get) but could be Swans fans turning out to watch a game of footy as they're playing away that weekend, could get it close to that 14-15k mark IMO.

Celebrate GIANTS Welcome Game​

The GIANTS, in partnership with the AFL, are proud to present Welcome Game when the GIANTS host Carlton at ENGIE Stadium next week.

By GIANTS Media
3 hrs ago

The GIANTS will celebrate the diverse communities of Western Sydney and welcome new audiences to Australian Rules football when the club hosts the Welcome Game against Carlton in round 17.

The GIANTS will host Carlton at ENGIE Stadium on Saturday, July 6 at 7:30pm in a Welcome Game which will be preceded by a special multicultural festival.

Held in and around ENGIE Stadium ahead of the exciting clash with Carlton, the GIANTS’ Welcome Game is a multicultural festival that will celebrate and spotlight the incredible diversity of the Western Sydney community and the contributions they’ve made to our great game.

Featuring a range of cultural performances, music, food and entertainment, the Welcome Game aims to showcase the rich cultural diversity of Western Sydney and bring together new and existing fans to experience our national sport, Australian Rules football.

The special festival, set to kick off at 5:30pm, will also feature cultural workshops, a kids zone featuring rides and inflatables, several pre-game dance performances and much more.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said the club is excited about the special GIANTS initiative.

“Welcome Game is a celebration of diversity. It acknowledges the contribution that diverse communities have made to our game for generations and welcomes new fans,” Mr Matthews said.

“Western Sydney is an incredibly rich and diverse cultural region in our country and we’re incredibly excited to welcome along and celebrate people of all backgrounds in what’s sure to be an amazing event.

“Our club aims to represent all people across our communities and this event is about representing them and welcoming them to be a part of our great game before what will be an exciting clash with the Blues.”

AFL Executive General Manager of Game Development, Rob Auld, said the AFL is proud to partner with the GIANTS for the cultural celebration.

“The Welcome Game is a testament to the inclusive spirit of Australian Rules football and the power of the game to bring people together,” Mr Auld said.

“The AFL is thrilled to partner with the GIANTS to celebrate the rich cultural diversity of Western Sydney. This event not only highlights the contributions of diverse communities to our game but also reinforces our commitment to fostering a sense of belonging and inclusion and welcoming new fans to the AFL family.

“We look forward to seeing ENGIE Stadium come alive in this celebration of multiculturalism and an exciting match between the GIANTS and Carlton.”

With over 53 per cent of its total population born overseas, Greater Western Sydney is one of the most diverse cultural communities in the world and the GIANTS invite you to help them celebrate at ENGIE Stadium on Saturday, July 6, with the festival commencing at 5.30pm ahead of the GIANTS’ match with Carlton at 7:30pm.

Tickets start from $27 for adults, while kids go free.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2024 AFL Fixture Discussion & Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back