News 2024 AFLW season 9 Chat and Media

Remove this Banner Ad

We looked like a fair dinkum side for the first time yesterday. I've been critical of Dalla and still think it was a mistake to let him coach with training wheels on, but credit where it's due - we looked very well coached yesterday. Dare I say it, we looked a little like the 2020 Saints, constantly catching GC out over the back. We look to have winners everywhere now. Lambert was outstanding, as were Wardlaw and Vesely. Ty Smith is a gun - my favourite. I reckon we had a few very good players who were quiet yesterday too, like Priest, McDonald and Xenos. We look very durable, so I'm looking forward to a strong season!

A call out to any Sainters that would like to contribute to Saints TV from an AFLW perspective!

If interested please fill out this form 🙂

Thought i would create one as there didn't seem to be a thread available.

Cracking win in round one, looking to back up against Sydney

in think the wind is just blowing everywhere haha no real advantage to anyone
Looks like we were with the wind? Seemed to be hitting the deck going forward and tumbling over and over. Hopefully it’s a side wind. Incredibly bad kicking at goal and could cost us.

Excellent quarter, was worried we might've blown it with the inaccuracy in the first but to hold the Swans to only 1 behind with the wind was very promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll never get that 2 hours of my life back. Horrible game.

Captain is slow as, and constantly fumbles. Rain, hail or shine. Week after week.

Anderson showing a bit.

Kelly and McDonald are great up and back runners.

2 wins is great. Not sure the opposition have been much good. We’ll find out I suppose.

Whatever we gave up to get Wardlaw, it was a bargain
Agree.

I haven’t watched a ton of AFLW however to me she is the first female that I’ve seen who looks like a football player, as opposed to looking like a female trying to play the game of footy.

Her skills are just so clean and set her apart.

I’ll never get that 2 hours of my life back. Horrible game.

Captain is slow as, and constantly fumbles. Rain, hail or shine. Week after week.

Anderson showing a bit.

Kelly and McDonald are great up and back runners.

2 wins is great. Not sure the opposition have been much good. We’ll find out I suppose.
They were supposed to be competitors for the top 8 though. Next two will also be interesting.

2/0 is impressive, and both against teams who played finals last year.

Game was scrappy but thats to be expected in those conditions. Won't get away with 0.6 in the first quarter much but the backline held up very well that it didn't matter.

Yep sitting pretty in second is awesome. Hope they keep it up ..was worried they were going to be punished after kicking 0.6 but thankfully never really let the Swans have too much scoring until really late.

Love Molly McDonald and her work rate. Wardlaw and Lambert were terrific too and Tyanna Smith as well. Covering the loss of GP pretty well so far.

Whatever we gave up to get Wardlaw, it was a bargain
Just looking back on this, that 2023 off season was transformative.

Gained: Pick 14, Natalie Plane
Lost: Caitlin Greiser

Gained: Steph Chiocci, Jaimee Lambert (both Collingwood), second round pick 31
Lost: Tarni White (Collingwood), Kate Shierlaw (North Melbourne)

Gained: Jesse Wardlaw and Serene Watson
Lost: Picks 6, 14, 31 and Clara Fitzpatrick

Gresier, Shierlaw, White, Fitzpatrick + Pick 6 for Wardlaw, Lambert, Watson & Chiocci

So we basically gutted our best players, who were all limited, and put a star on every line to accompany the youth we played the long game with. Pretty sure that pick 6 was for the supplementary overage draft too, not for U18 talent.

We've mentioned our forwards and mids doing well. And I'm going to shine a light on and applaud our defensive acquisitions.

Trudgeon has got my attention, she's shutting down her opponent and anything that comes her way. Watson backing up from her solid first season with us last year. Kelly keeping the ball in front of her every second and sprinting up and down the field. Stevens switching to defense and doing the job.

We were carried by Priest and Jakobsson for years, and now we have a solid unit working well together and balancing the load. It's very impressive how this has been built. And they're all playing with a great intensity.

And I'm also pleased that we handled the conditions well. For years we would regularly get caught out by the wind, leak plenty of goals out the back. But our defense and team defense read it like a book.

Tough job next week for the team. Have to shut down Nanscawen and Prespakis for a start.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2024 AFLW season 9 Chat and Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back