Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

She is doing 200 and 400 Fre, 200 Fly and 200 and 400 IM.

She will also do 4x100 and 200 free relay and probably the medley relays maybe the Butterfly legs.

Thanks perfect knew she had a stack she’ll belt everyone in the IM love watching her swim

Summer is not getting close in the 200 free
She will do a 1.53 low, so based on tonights swim that would be a body length behind Arnie and MOC. But there is no guarantee they go this fast in Paris and how many swims they have had, come 200m finals time.

Gotta have a decent look at the schedule when this and US trials are over.

Last edited:

She will do a 1.53 low, so based on tonights swim that would be a body length behind Arnie and MOC. But there is no guarantee they go this fast in Paris and how many swims they have had, come 200m finals time.

Gotta have a decent look at the schedule when this and US trials are over.
Women’s 200m free is day 3 and the final is at 0518 ACST on Tuesday July 30th.

Best entertainment for me has been the brilliant Ariane 400 Free win, the super exciting Ariane v Mollie 200 Free clash and the Elijah Winnington win over an out of sorts Sam Short in the 800 Free. Pick of the bunch is The professor Cam McEvoy becoming the first Aussie male swimmer to secure a fourth Olympics with his blistering 50 Free last nite.

Last edited:
King Kyle does it!

Yang missed out by like 0.02, that’s disappointing. Maybe he’ll get in.
He is under the FINA Qualifying Time which is 48.34.

Swimming Oz QT is based on the 8th placed time at the last Olympics and FINA is based on the 14th placed time.

They also have an Olympic Consideration Time (OCT) which is the FINA QT plus 0.5% as some of the 14th placed times in Tokyo were slower than 14th placed times in Rio.

It would be stupid if they don't let Yang swim the individual 100m given he is going over for the relay and especially if he pulls out a great time in the relay on day 1.

Others who so far who have missed out on the Swimming Oz QT (SAQT) but inside the FINA QT (OQT) are;

200m Fre Men's only Guiliani has SAQT, but OQT Neil, Winnington and Taylor who will all swim the 4x200m relay
100m Back Men's - no SAQT, but OQT Cooper and Woodward - One of them has to go to swim in the medley relay

100 Fly Women's only McKeon has SAQT, but Perkins has a OQT and was 6th fastest in 200m Fre and will get a relay swim.

100m Breast Women's - no SAQT, no OQT, but fastest was 1.06.90 Strauch and second was 1.06.94 Ramsay and both of these are under the OCT 1.07.12 and given Ramsay has qualified for the 200IM, and we need a relay swimmer, I suspect she gets to swim the 100m Breastroke.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of Ellie Cole interviewing swimmers on the pool deck after their swim. Hope they get someone else, and better for Paris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no fan of Ellie Cole interviewing swimmers on the pool deck after their swim. Hope they get someone else, and better for Paris.
Surely there are better out there than Giann and Ellie, both are terrible. The coverage hasn’t been great by nine, the WR line has been a shambles on the coverage too.

I was a bit disappointed with Kyle Chalmers swim last night. For a rare occasion he went out hard early and got to the front at the 50m but his back half wasn't the normal Kyle. His time of 47.75 isn't going to go close to a medal in Paris.

He probably has to break 47 for the first time and do a 46.9 or 46.8ish to beat Chinese swimmer Zhanle Pan of China who since September last year has broken 47 seconds 3 times as well as set the new WR at 46.80 and in September also swam 47.06 which is marginally better than Kyle's PB of 47.08, twice, to finish 2nd to Dressel both time, first in 2019 World Champs and in 2021 at Tokyo games.

But Kyle had back spasms since the weekend. They probably also cost him a chance to finish top 2 in the 50m Fre.

4 cortisone injections is a lot. Personally I'd try and find the best chiro I could to fix my back. Doctors only solution is drugs.

For 25-year-old freestyle ace Chalmers, he punched a winning effort of 47.75 to qualify for the men’s 100m sprint, adding his name to his 3rd Aussie Olympic roster. However, he was quicker at April’s Open Championships, putting up a time there of 47.63.

Chalmers has had his share of adversity in the past, including overcoming shoulder surgery and multiple heart surgeries. This time around, the now-Ash Delaney-trained superstar was dealing with bulging discs and spasms leading up these all-important Trials.

“I’ve been doing some landscape laboring up on the Sunny Coast and I decided I wouldn’t go to work on the Friday and I’d rest for Trials and kind of just spent a day laying on the couch which my body’s clearly not used to, and got pretty stiff,” Chalmers told Swimming Australia.

“And then Saturday morning I tried to do a dive and it just all spasm and locked up so I saw physios and doctors and the best thing I could do was to get four cortisone in my lower back and try to get moving again. A really hard thing to go through so close to trials, it makes you change your stroke completely.

“I have got bulging discs in my back and a bit of a degenerative spine … it just all spasmed and locked up,” he said.

“I have put on a pretty brave face.”

Last edited:
I imagine now that they have missed out on Paris berths, Cate Campbell or Em Seebohm will be Ch9's new swimming commentators at the Olympics.

I imagine now that they have missed out on Paris berths, Cate Campbell or Em Seebohm will be Ch9's new swimming commentators at the Olympics.
I expect 9 to ask Cate and her to accept the offer to do something for Paris. I have my doubts about Emily. She has stayed away from the media limelight all career.

Swimming Oz have the same qualifying time as FINA's according to the live result summary for the women's 100m Free heats, ie 53.61. The fastest 6 in the heat did that, with the slowest in 6th place Emma McKeon bang on 53.61.

She's done it a bunch of times over the past year or two. She's a lot better than Giaan who has had a decade to learn the game, but hasn't.

I think they both go ok but I think Giaan goes better, less awkward.

First year I've watched it, I assumed she got the role on the back of her I'm a Celeb get me out of here appearance.

Yang missed out by like 0.02, that’s disappointing. Maybe he’ll get in.
Will need a 4x100 relay team. These QTs set by SA are brutal so some leeway must be given by selectors. Didnt we medal in Tokyo in this event.

I reckon ELLIE is great. Adds personality to her vast swimming knowledge plus she actually uses the correct interview technique, unlike many I have heard in the past. Also like her commentary, unlike Giann and Thorpe.

Commentary is one of those things, people either love said person or hates said person.. Shane Warne use to always cop it now people miss him, is what it is.

I reckon ELLIE is great. Adds personality to her vast swimming knowledge plus she actually uses the correct interview technique, unlike many I have heard in the past. Also like her commentary, unlike Giann and Thorpe.
Nah she is just a cheering fan, not an informative interviewer.

The late Nathan Templeton, who only passed away a few months ago, did pool side for Channel 7 at multiple Olympics, is the style of pool deck interviewer I want. Patty Welsh who did athletics for 7 at multiple Olympics and world champs is another one who was very good at interviews in the mix zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back