Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he will be behind the likes of Motlop and E. Holland, probably Owies and Durdin as well.
His age and injury history over last few years are all part of his challenges.

Not sure they have recruited him as a backup/depth option though. I think they expect him to play if fit.

I can't see the list manager going...'bring in an injury prone player to provide us with backup security'.

Orazio is the most talented small fwd on our list by a long way. His body is the only question mark on him
I hope you are right and he kills it obviously, we all do.

I agree at his peak he was a top-notch small forward however it has been a very long time since he last showed that talent.
Another question mark surely has to be can he ever recapture that form?

The potential upside could be just what we need and it is worth a throw at the stumps, a one-year contract with little lost if he does not fire up.

Fingers crossed and very interested to see how he goes in the scratch matches.

Last edited:
IMO Fantasia barring injuries to others will have to kill it in the VFL to earn a spot.

I just can't see him being a walk up into our best 22 as so many here seem to think.

Of course I hope he does well as small forward along with ruck were our weakest positions last season.

We have multiple A graders in all other spots.

Signs are good that TDK can take the next step this year and elevate our ruck stocks.

Motlop, Orazio, Durds, Owies and even E. Hollands can all fight to improve us in this most important position.

I know E. Hollands is mid-size but could play small I feel.

IMO Jessie will be the big improver and if he could bag 30 plus and set up many more this would go a long way to fixing this area of our team.

And E.Hollands is a classy, powerful player with great goal sense and elite running power that would be a very difficult match up.

So for mine, E.Hollands (after rd.2) and Jessie are the two.

Interesting times, Moir looks very exciting also and JSOS going down could open the door for him?

How come?

Orazio is the most talented small fwd on our list by a long way. His body is the only question mark on him
Just some thoughts.

I'd be more inclined to run with 1 high-impact low-possession small forward, such as Motlop or Fantasia, along with one "workhorse" type, such as Durdin or Owies. I'd be unlikely to recommend using all high-impact players as they don't generally stay involved in the game for long periods, either offensively or defensively and may go missing for entire matches at a time. The flip side is that they don't need a lot of the ball to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. There are also intangibles to consider. For example, Durdin and Owies tend to play even better when they're on the park at the same time. They also tend to be more consistent with their output and if they're not impacting the scoreboard themselves they're generally applying defensive pressure, setting up team mates or doing 1 percenters.

The decision the match committee will have to make will be if it's better to go with an aging, battle-weary Fantasia who may not get through an entire game or a 3rd year Motlop who's game is rapidly developing and expanding. There are arguments for either way. The choice between Durdin and Owies is less clear, but will probably boil down to who is fit and in form at the time. If Martin isn't fit you may play a 3rd small. For the other medium one will likely be E.Hollands rotating with some of the mids. Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Doc and Cripps have all shown they can play forward for stints when required.

Just some thoughts.

I'd be more inclined to run with 1 high-impact low-possession small forward, such as Motlop or Fantasia, along with one "workhorse" type, such as Durdin or Owies. I'd be unlikely to recommend using all high-impact players as they don't generally stay involved in the game for long periods, either offensively or defensively and may go missing for entire matches at a time. The flip side is that they don't need a lot of the ball to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. There are also intangibles to consider. For example, Durdin and Owies tend to play even better when they're on the park at the same time. They also tend to be more consistent with their output and if they're not impacting the scoreboard themselves they're generally applying defensive pressure, setting up team mates or doing 1 percenters.

The decision the match committee will have to make will be if it's better to go with an aging, battle-weary Fantasia who may not get through an entire game or a 3rd year Motlop who's game is rapidly developing and expanding. There are arguments for either way. The choice between Durdin and Owies is less clear, but will probably boil down to who is fit and in form at the time. If Martin isn't fit you may play a 3rd small. For the other medium one will likely be E.Hollands rotating with some of the mids. Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Doc and Cripps have all shown they can play forward for stints when required.

Valid points smokey, but I get the feeling that if Harry, Charlie, Martin and E Hollands are fit, the remaining 3 spots will come from Fantasia, Motlop, C Durdin, Fogarty, Cuners, Owies

IMHO, those 3 spots will be based on output, rather than characteristics

I hope you are right and he kills it obviously, we all do.

I agree at his peak he was a top-notch small forward however it has been a very long time since he last showed that talent.
Another question mark surely has to be can he ever recapture that form?

The potential upside could be just what we need and it is worth a throw at the stumps, a one-year contract with little lost if he does not fire up.

Fingers crossed and very interested to see how he goes in the scratch matches.
I can't help thinking Fasolo when I hear Fantasia..... might be the 'F', might be someone from one of "those" teams, might still be getting over the MacGuane debacle or the memory of Glen Hawker wearing the number 11............

Thy you orta try a Ballarat Summer, it happened on a Monday two weeks ago.....
that joint has it's own meso-climate, like a chunk of darkest alaska...........lake wendouree a slice of iceland...........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help thinking Fasolo when I hear Fantasia..... might be the 'F', might be someone from one of "those" teams, might still be getting over the MacGuane debacle or the memory of Glen Hawker wearing the number 11............

I said same thing and it was not a popular view....... Of course I will be more than happy to be wrong and wish him all the best.

Peter Mckenna also comes to mind :straining: (shows how old I am👴)

Fantasia will be our best forward pocket by a fair margin if he is fit to play.

Or our next Alex Fasolo ?........ Hope not but expectations low for mine.

Last edited:
back 7
Weiters Gov Marchy Williams Saad Newman Boyd

Midfield 8
TDK Pitto Walsh Cripps Cez doc acres o.Hollands

Forward 7
Harry Charlie Martin E.Hollands Motlop Owies Cotts

I actually think fasolo that we traded for would look okay in this team currently. He was a victim of circumstance while we were absolutley s**t.
fasolo admits he struck out at carlton because carlton..........considers legal action.............

Another go post-JSOS injury …

Boyd Weitering Marchbank
Williams McGovern Saad
O Hollands Cripps Acres
Martin Curnow Kennedy
Fantasia McKay Motlop
TDK Cerra Walsh
Pittonet Docherty E Hollands Newman
Hewett

Emerg: Cottrell Cuningham C Durdin Cowan

Cottrell to play round 0/1 in place of E Hollands. Young to replace Weitering initially.

7 defenders: Weiters, Saad, Williams, Gov, Newy, Marchy, Kemp/Boyd
7 mids: Crippa, Cerra, Walsh, George, Doch, Ollie, Acres
7 forwards: Charles, Harry, Martin, Elijah, Motlop, Durds, TDK
Ruck: Pitto
23rd: Orazio/Cottrell

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank/Young Saad

Acres Cripps Doc
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Fantasia Curnow Martin
TDK McKay Motlop

Newman Kennedy O Holland Walsh E Hollands

---------------------------------------

Cincotta S Durdin Akuei
Cowan Marchbank/Young M Carroll

HOK J Carroll Wilson
Binns Cuningham Cottrell

Kemp Lemmey Moir
C Durdin Silvagni Fogarty

Mirkov Owies Monahan Duffy

So...it's now officially a Best 23 + Sub (Best 24?). Controversial - but I'd like to use the extra spot and see us go with a ruck on the bench most of the time.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank Saad

Acres Cripps O Hollands
TDK Walsh Cerra

Fantasia Curnow Martin
E Hollands McKay Motlop

Pitto Kemp Hewett Docherty Boyd Sub: Kennedy

E: Durdin, Cottrell, Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back