Pittonet - 60% Ruck 10% forward
DeKonning - 40% Ruck 30% forward
McKay - all 80% forward
Curnow - all 80% forward

Silvagni - Depth for all TDK Curnow McKay

3 Forwards:
2 smalls - Motlop Durdin -Depth: Fantasia Owies
1 general - Martin - Depth: Fogarty Cuningham

That's 35 well balanced players including immediate depth.

Developing players:
Lemmey
O'Keefe
Moir
Wilson
M.Carroll
Monahan

Important structural Reserves players who provide added depth:
S.Durdin
Mirkov
Akuei

Kemp Weitering Newman
Williams McGovern Saad

Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Pittonet Cerra Walsh

Martin De Koning Curnow
Fantasia McKay Motlop

Boyd Hewett Docherty E.Hollands Binns/C.Durdin/Cottrell

Last spot could vary depending on wanting to add run at wing or forward half, or an additional small forward.

Roughly into:

Tall def: Weitering McGovern Kemp
Gen def: Williams Saad Newman Boyd

Inside mid: Cripps Cerra Hewett
Outside mid: Walsh Docherty
Wing: Acres O.Hollands (Binns*)

Ruck: Pittonet

Tall fwd: Curnow McKay De Koning
Gen fwd: Martin Motlop E.Hollands Fantasia (C.Durdin*/Cottrell*)

Stiff: Marchbank, Kennedy, Silvagni, Cowan, Cincotta, Owies, Fogarty, Cuningham, 2 of C.Durdin/Cottrell/Binns…

If he stays fit and has the hunger, which I think he does, then I expect him to push hard in preseason and get every opportunity.

Gut feel thinks that in all probability we will line up like this down forward come Round 0:

JSOS - Harry - Martin
Motlop - Charlie - Fantasia

Going to be a few stiff to miss out, though with the 23rd man it means JSOS can play with the two big boys or we can play a third dedicated small.
That's a tall forward line.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a tall forward line.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not that bad actually, especially with 5 on the bench

If both Pitto and TDK play, less likely to have Jsos in the side

If Jsos plays ahead of either, then E Hollands could be the 7th forward rotating through the middle

For anyone who has left Boyd out, take a look at the last quarter against the lions in the Prelim. More of that and we will be flying.

A lot of this thread is best case scenario, where Boyd may be the 8th best talent in an incredibly deep defensive group.

He will play plenty of games in 2024 and will improve a heap more than Newman, Williams, Saad, who are already great players. Hopefully his prelim was a sign of what's to come.

Boyd was great in the Brissy game. I thought his best game for Carlton. What is important to keep in mind was that it was just one game. Newman who i think will have to fight for his spot again (despite a great 2023) had many games much better than Boyd's best game. Same goes for Saad, Doch, and previously Zac Williams when he last played.

Boyd is less far off on best games when compared to Kemp/Cincotta and could be arguably ahead of them...on averages I don't mind him in the conversation vs Kemp/Cincotta. I think as I like Marchbank to progress well in 2024, then there is less demand for Kemp and I'd be leaning towards Boyd/Cincotta. Out of those two I just want to see physicality, tackles first. Good kicking second as we have others who can kick well and get much more metres gained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving the angst in trying to create a best 22.
Shows that when the injuries come (and they will) it won’t derail us.

Hopefully having a strong best 28 or so gives us the ability to manage key players through the season
Stamos

FB: Newman, Weiters, Marchbank
HB: Williams, Gov, Saad
CT: Doc, Cripps, Acres
HF: Martin, Curnow, Cuningham
FF: Fantasia, McKay, Motlop
RU: TDK, Cerra, Walsh
INT: Pittonet, Hewett, O. Hollands, Kemp
SUB: E. Hollands
EMG (from): Boyd, Kennedy, Silvagni, Cottrell, C. Durdin, Fogarty

It’s getting genuinely hard to select a best 22 now which bodes well for us. I think we still go with the Pitto and TDK combo as that seems to be the preferred setup of the match committee.

Depending on matchups we could go in shorter in defence with one of Marchbank/Kemp making way for Boyd/Cincotta/Cowan.

Acres and Doc have the runs on the board to be starting wings. One of (maybe both) Ollie and Cotters take a bench spot. We have flexibility to play around with this setup.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh pick themselves as starting mids. Hewett and Kennedy probably battle it out for that remaining midfield spot. Cuningham, E. Hollands and Doc to spend some time here too.

McKay and Curnow as the key marking targets. Martin and Cunningham/E.Hollands as the half forwards who can push higher up the ground. Motlop and Fantasia take the small forward spots ahead of Fogarty, C. Durdin and Owies. Suspect TDK still spends short amounts of time up forward when not rucking. If he can improve his forward craft we will be so much more dangerous.

This team has a good balance of inside grunt, outside run, and flexibility to move the magnets.

I still say a fit Matt Kennedy is in the best 22 every week....
There is a bloody good argument for just that. Trouble is there is a bloody good argument for a growing number if blokes in similar positions.

Chugga up against Hewett, Doc, E.Hollands, potentially O.Hollands, add Cuningham, Binns, Fogarty, Cottrell affecting the “mix” and developing Carroll and now Wilson.

We have a wonderful dilemma, but, yes, I would find it tough to leave Kennedy out. The only problem is the midfield starts with Cripps, then Walsh and Cerra and then building balance around that trio.

Nice side and how good is it looking when even outside the emergencies you still have Boyd , Cowan , Owies , Motlop , Fogarty , Fantasia , Cincotta , Carroll and Binns to consider.
Was going to put a note on the honourable mentions on there too (also have S.Durdin in the mix + if Young can redeem his form, and Billy Wilson maybe a smokey from the draftees with a point of difference through the midfield).

Big pre-season for everyone to improve & show their wares to press their claims for the season opener (which EH may find himself down the pecking order for the 1st couple of months being N/A until round 3 with our bye in there as well).

I still say a fit Matt Kennedy is in the best 22 every week....

I'm a Kennedy fan also. Really felt Teague got it wrong by consigning him to the twos at that time with the midfield depth we had then. Means he lost important ground with the next batch of arrivals in Cerra/Hewett, and Hewett specifically as i feel Cerra is top echelon along with Walsh. The other mids like Cripps/Doch (Doch as a mid rotation) are the fabric of the club so going nowhere.

Despite being a fan and thinking that I want him on our list, i feel he is best 25 on talent. Different skillset for sure and skillsets i like, for example, can take a mark in the corridor straightening us up; better than cripps, and better than Hewett/Walsh in this trait. But the others have traits/adv elsewhere that offset that making it very hard to lineup (apples and oranges).

I think he is a rotation player atm unless something changes. If best 22 then coming off the bench if everyone is fully fit. He is fighting for midfield minutes with Hewett & Docherty. He would be fighting for fwd minutes with JSoS and Martin.

So only IMO, i think if he is to be best 22 then it really comes down to structures. He offers more utility value if JSoS is not preferred and left out due to (Pitto/TDK). He offers us more if we want to rotate 5 'core' mids instead of the 4 (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett). If they want to be heavy Corridor/Attacking i think there is a case for him being best 22. There is another case for him if you feel he offers more in a different way to Hewett on personal preferences as they have diff midfield traits. There is a case to argue for him in favour of Doch and moving Doch back to defence.

Conversely there is a counter argument that Carlton rounds 1-13 in 2023 were a stop/start slow side. Rounds 14+ were corridor/brutal attack. There is a speed lever the coach might want to pull or not want to pull. With Cripps a lock and other slower players, that also might decide his best 22 spot.

In reality someone will drop form as Hewett did for a period in 2023 meaning he gest every chance anyway and should be used by Voss to rotate games to keep a healthy list.

What I'm trying to say is i rate him, glad we have him, and its line ball whether he is best 22. So not sure why I wrote all of that abiove.

I'm a Kennedy fan also. Really felt Teague got it wrong by consigning him to the twos at that time with the midfield depth we had then. Means he lost important ground with the next batch of arrivals in Cerra/Hewett, and Hewett specifically as i feel Cerra is top echelon along with Walsh. The other mids like Cripps/Doch (Doch as a mid rotation) are the fabric of the club so going nowhere.

Despite being a fan and thinking that I want him on our list, i feel he is best 25 on talent. Different skillset for sure and skillsets i like, for example, can take a mark in the corridor straightening us up; better than cripps, and better than Hewett/Walsh in this trait. But the others have traits/adv elsewhere that offset that making it very hard to lineup (apples and oranges).

I think he is a rotation player atm unless something changes. If best 22 then coming off the bench if everyone is fully fit. He is fighting for midfield minutes with Hewett & Docherty. He would be fighting for fwd minutes with JSoS and Martin.

So only IMO, i think if he is to be best 22 then it really comes down to structures. He offers more utility value if JSoS is not preferred and left out due to (Pitto/TDK). He offers us more if we want to rotate 5 'core' mids instead of the 4 (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett). If they want to be heavy Corridor/Attacking i think there is a case for him being best 22. There is another case for him if you feel he offers more in a different way to Hewett on personal preferences as they have diff midfield traits. There is a case to argue for him in favour of Doch and moving Doch back to defence.

Conversely there is a counter argument that Carlton rounds 1-13 in 2023 were a stop/start slow side. Rounds 14+ were corridor/brutal attack. There is a speed lever the coach might want to pull or not want to pull. With Cripps a lock and other slower players, that also might decide his best 22 spot.

In reality someone will drop form as Hewett did for a period in 2023 meaning he gest every chance anyway and should be used by Voss to rotate games to keep a healthy list.

What I'm trying to say is i rate him, glad we have him, and its line ball whether he is best 22. So not sure why I wrote all of that abiove.
A good summation, bar the exclusions.

Primarily the brothers Hollands. Elijah has plenty of forward credentials, but is shaping like mid first. He is both combative and athletic, with top notch skills. A massive break out would not surprise. While Ollie has plenty of love here, few realise how high his ceiling is. He will ultimately move in to the guts. Likely this increases slowly over two or three years, but don’t be surprised if it happens quicker.

Fair chance Binns gets some game time sooner rather than later, so expect some creativity around our midfield mix. I remain fascinated at how the tenure of some of our incumbent best 22/23 plays out. We will undoubtedly looking to upgrade our running power and distribution skills through the middle fairly quickly, yet we have heart and soul players it would be shattering to push early.

Plenty to play out in our midfield (and defence) around a changing of the guard. Cowan receiving #2 suggests he is integral to future plans. Saad, Williams and Newman pick themselves and we have very deserving Cincotta and Boyd constantly staking their claims, along with having one quality third tall “too many”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back