F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely uneventful race that one. McLaren have gone past Red Bull well and truly.

Despite the strategy, Oscar didn’t seem to have the same pace as Lando. Would be curious as to why.

He did in clean air, they were on par lap times.

That was just so poor by McLaren with Oscar, Oscar also hurt himself with qualifying and the start. You have the fastest car on a track it's basically impossible to overtake unless you have a massive advantage, why on earth would you not want the undercut?

He did in clean air, they were on par lap times.

That was just so poor by McLaren with Oscar, Oscar also hurt himself with qualifying and the start. You have the fastest car on a track it's basically impossible to overtake unless you have a massive advantage, why on earth would you not want the undercut?
How many laps did he have in clean air? I just think Lando was clearly faster.

Had Oscar got past Charles, I still don't think he'd have been catching Max.

Data might suggest otherwise, that's just my gut feel from watching it.

Completely uneventful race that one. McLaren have gone past Red Bull well and truly.

Despite the strategy, Oscar didn’t seem to have the same pace as Lando. Would be curious as to why.
Track position - he was stuck in the dirty air behind Russell (before the stop), and then Leclerc (after the stop). Lando had the benefit of clean air, with nobody in front of him.

• Great win by Norris. He botched the start as usual, but drove a smart race - backed off Max to look after tyres, then attacked once he could use the pace-offset to take the lead and drove into the distance. McLaren acted like a title winning team this time around and didn't go off-script or try and force anything.
  • Max was lucky overtaking was so difficult - he took big points that on pace should really have been Piastri's.
  • Leclerc one of his best drives of the year. The Ferrari was a fair bit off the pace but he made it almost impossible to overtake and was mega-consistent. Must be a little strange driving by your mirrors all day.
  • Piastri - A poor start (all his own doing, don't think Lando slowed him down), and then struggled to overtake through the whole first stint despite clearly having extra pace. Couldn't safely undercut as the mid-pack stayed close (from memory would have come out 11th/12th), and once that opportunity passed he simply had to go as long as he could. Showed the McLaren's true pace once in clean air, taking 0.3s per lap off the other top runners), which was enough to minimise the undercut anyway. Took advantage of the significant tyre offset late, had over a second per lap on Russell, and similar to Leclerc, but by the time he closed the gap couldn't force an overtake and 'settled' for fourth.

Oscar had clean air after Russell pitted, and again after his own stop - but he spent most of the race in dirty air, either 1.5 seconds behind Russell or 1.5 seconds behind Leclerc.

Oscar was putting in fastest laps when he came out on the hard tyres, and the laps he did on the old mediums were faster than anyone (other than maybe Lando) did on the mediums - it's just that everyone else was on newer & faster hard tyres by the time he had fresh air on the mediums.

Oscar's race was screwed by 3 things:
  • Poor qualifying.
  • Zandvoort having a poor starting grid layout, where the 2nd/4th/6th etc. driver has the advantage over the driver in 1st/3rd/5th, which cost him at the start.
  • Bad pit strategy, which saw him badly undercut by Leclerc in particular
#1 is on him, #3 is on the team, #2 is part of the reason why Zandvoort sucks as a circuit.

Track position - he was stuck in the dirty air behind Russell (before the stop), and then Leclerc (after the stop). Lando had the benefit of clean air, with nobody in front of him.
You don't think Lando would've been able to get by George had the roles been reversed?

He pretty easily flew by Max, who was comfortably in second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was definitely catching Max, whether he could pass is the issue. Leclerc was catching Max even and Oscar was nearly a second a lap quicker than him in the clean air.

You don't think Lando would've been able to get by George had the roles been reversed?

He pretty easily flew by Max, who was comfortably in second.
Oscar got past George fairly easily after the stop.

Lando got past Verstappen once his tyres started going off. The Mercedes seemed to take care of their tyres better than the Red Bulls.

For some reason Oscar just couldn't get close enough at the entry to the last corner, to allow him to get past on the straight. He'd get to within 0.6-0.7 seconds of Russell at the DRS time check, closing to 0.3 at the finish line, but he was still just a fraction too far back to complete the move. Maybe Lando was better through the 2nd sector, and would have been closer when the DRS opened the rear wing.

At the end of the day, both McLarens proved to be extremely quick when they were able to run in clean air. Lando had the benefit of running almost the entire race in clean air, while Oscar only had it for a few laps on either side of his stop. Clean vs dirty air makes a huge difference to car speed, and the ability to overtake.

i gave it away before the finish as i didn’t think oscar was driving well enough for a podium.

you’ve got to hand it the norris his driving at this g p was special. i think it was brundle who said that while the other drivers were away enjoying the break he was spending much of the time in the simulator working on his driving.

i gave it away before the finish as i didn’t think oscar was driving well enough for a podium.

you’ve got to hand it the norris his driving at this g p was special. i think it was brundle who said that while the other drivers were away enjoying the break he was spending much of the time in the simulator working on his driving.
It's just a shame the McLaren pit wall crew weren't equally busy working on their pit strategies.

It's just a shame the McLaren pit wall crew weren't equally busy working on their pit strategies.
Would've helped but so would've qualifying higher.

McLaren will need as many 1/2's as they can get if they're any chance of mowing down Max.

Would've helped but so would've qualifying higher.

McLaren will need as many 1/2's as they can get if they're any chance of mowing down Max.
They're not mowing down Max. They should win the CC, but the DC is out of reach.

Agree that Oscar's qualifying failure also played a part - refer to my previous posts.

They're not mowing down Max. They should win the CC, but the DC is out of reach.

Agree that Oscar's qualifying failure also played a part - refer to my previous posts.
Only takes one or two bad races...

The Red Bulls have been ordinary in Singapore when they were dominant. It's not out of the realms of possibility to see Max pick up less points there.

Then you just need another result like Australia where Max gets a DNF...

It's unlikely but it's certainly not impossible.

The Red Bulls have been ordinary in Singapore when they were dominant. It's not out of the realms of possibility to see Max pick up less points there.

Max is leading by 70 points, with 9 races to go. Lando needs him to have at least one DNF, preferably two.

It's mathematically possible, in the same sense as used by coaches of AFL teams who rely on every single result going their way (including matches they're not playing) to make the finals.

You'd need Max to have at least 2 DNFs with Lando pretty much taking the podium every race above Max.

So as you said unlikely, but not impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back