F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a disappointing drive in the end by Oscar.

Poor start from 3rd, couldn't get past Leclerc late in the race with a faster car and tyre offset advantage, and finished close to 30 secs behind Norris.

A podium finish should've been par for the course.

Kind of feels like McLaren at this stage are sabotaging Piastris strategy on purpose so that a clear #1 driver is established for the last half of the season so Norris can chase after Max in drivers championship

Yeah, no.

Ah we are doing this one again I see

No, McLaren are not deliberately sabotaging their car/driver to lose championship points.

No, Red Bull did not deliberately sabotage Daniel Ricciardo in 2018 to lose championship points.
Never attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained as incompetence.

I can't believe McLaren didn't let Oscar pass Norris from fourth position
I wonder how far away we are from people claiming McLaren are slowing down Oscars car from the garage, via some magical pit lane to car telemetry management link.

(Yes some of the fanboys on here were claiming this is what Red Bull were doing to Ricciardo in 2018 and why he was having issues out qualifying Max)

Never attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained as incompetence.
Was it really incompetence though? Leclerc pitted 7-8 laps before the pit window was thought to be open for the mediums so not exactly reasonable for McLaren to have seen that coming. Once Leclerc had pitted that was it, Piastri was always going to come out behind so the only other thing to do is go long so he could come back at him on fresher tyres. Unfortunately it didn't pan out but not sure what else they could have done other than pit Oscar on lap 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if they boxed Oscar maybe 2-3 laps earlier it might have worked. He said himself after the race that after he passed George he had to flog his tyres too much to catch Charles so that by the time he got there he didn't have anything left to overtake him. One could argue he should have managed the tryes better but he did get the hurry up from the team so he could catch Max.

• Great win by Norris. He botched the start as usual, but drove a smart race - backed off Max to look after tyres, then attacked once he could use the pace-offset to take the lead and drove into the distance. McLaren acted like a title winning team this time around and didn't go off-script or try and force anything.
  • Max was lucky overtaking was so difficult - he took big points that on pace should really have been Piastri's.
  • Leclerc one of his best drives of the year. The Ferrari was a fair bit off the pace but he made it almost impossible to overtake and was mega-consistent. Must be a little strange driving by your mirrors all day.
  • Piastri - A poor start (all his own doing, don't think Lando slowed him down), and then struggled to overtake through the whole first stint despite clearly having extra pace. Couldn't safely undercut as the mid-pack stayed close (from memory would have come out 11th/12th), and once that opportunity passed he simply had to go as long as he could. Showed the McLaren's true pace once in clean air, taking 0.3s per lap off the other top runners), which was enough to minimise the undercut anyway. Took advantage of the significant tyre offset late, had over a second per lap on Russell, and similar to Leclerc, but by the time he closed the gap couldn't force an overtake and 'settled' for fourth.
Does make you think something with McLaren's if they both had a bad start. Norris is always shite at starts but oscar is usually good

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

Does make you think something with McLaren's if they both had a bad start. Norris is always shite at starts but oscar is usually good

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk
Oscar started poorly because the idiot in front of him held him up

Oscar started poorly because the idiot in front of him held him up

They both got wheel spin. Zac Brown admitted that post race. It just seems like McLaren got one of their settings wrong.

Every driver starting from an odd-numbered grid position had a "bad" start, losing a position to the driver in the even-numbered position on the same row of the grid. It happened all the way down the grid.

Zandvoort has a short run to a right-hand hairpin bend. The drivers on the outside (i.e. those in odd-numbered grid positions) had no chance.

The start had nothing to do with Norris or Oscar getting away slowly, and everything to do with the Zandvoort layout.

Every driver starting from an odd-numbered grid position had a "bad" start, losing a position to the driver in the even-numbered position on the same row of the grid. It happened all the way down the grid.

Zandvoort has a short run to a right-hand hairpin bend. The drivers on the outside (i.e. those in odd-numbered grid positions) had no chance.

The start had nothing to do with Norris or Oscar getting away slowly, and everything to do with the Zandvoort layout.

Lando started P1, rendering your theory totally wrong.

He mentioned those starting on odd number grid positions were compromised and lost positions at the start.

Max in P2 was not
You've got this 100% backwards.

The Zandvoort starting grid advantages those starting from P2, P4, P6, etc. and disadvantages those starting in P1, P3, P5, etc. Every driver starting in an odd-numbered position (P1, P3, ...) was behind their even-numbered equivalent (P2, P4, ...) by the end of the first corner.

Lando lost out to Max, Oscar lost out to Russell, etc. It happened pretty much all the way down the grid.

When it happens to one driver, it's likely a bad start on their behalf. When the same thing happens to 10 drivers, it's a problem with the circuit layout.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back