Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Land Legend’s run was good given the conditions and barrier but definitely not the $15 chance in the MC that TAB currently have him at.
They also have Point King at $10 … crazy.
Fair call - you really would need to take LL on trust that he could find 5-6 lengths if the track was firmer and he managed to settle better.

Point King - he looks slow. I really can't beleive he's $10. Would probably be $15-$20 if not a Lloyd williams horse. Jamie kah is another negative for me.

Fortunately we have internationals contending, otherwise it would only be locals which apparently all of Australia wants because they don’t know the internationals.
Full field of "locals" such as Point King, Buckaroo, Land Legend, Circle of Fire, Athabascan, Just Fine...

We will literally have like 2 Aus horses in the field

Usually in a Melbourne Cup you'd have top weights which were good, then horses in the middle range in terms weights which were good and then horses with light weights in the 49kg/50kg to 52kg.

I reckon it's been a few years since we have seen a "genuine lightweight chance" in the Melbourne Cup. The fields these days have lighter weighted horses who aren't much good. I reckon this contributed to Verry Elleegants dominant win. I mean sure she was a good horse but that high rating she produced to win the Melbourne Cup, she never produced that sort (or close to) rating again. In a stronger field with more depth she doesn't win a Melbourne Cup.

Anyway back to light weighted horses...there doesn't seem to be any good ones. I think back to horses like Brew (49kg), Rogan Josh (50kg), Jezabeel (51kg), Shocking (51kg) and Media Puzzle (52.5kg)...all horses with good form and with light weights. I miss that.

Last edited:
Usually in a Melbourne Cup you'd have top weights which were good, then horses in the middle range in terms weights which were good and then horses with light weights in the 49kg/50kg to 52kg.

I reckon it's been a few years since we have seen a "genuine lightweight chance" in the Melbourne Cup. The fields these days have lighter weighted horses who aren't much good. I reckon this contributed to Verry Elleegants dominant win. I mean sure she was a good horse but that high rating she produced to win the Melbourne Cup, she never produced that sort (or close to) rating again. In a stronger field with more depth she doesn't win a Melbourne Cup.

Anyway back to light weighted horses...there doesn't seem to be any good ones. I think back to horses like Brew (49kg), Rogan Josh (50kg), Shocking (51kg), Media Puzzle (52.5kg)...all horses with good form and with light weights. I miss that.
Yep class at the top of the weights has been the go to form of late

Full field of "locals" such as Point King, Buckaroo, Land Legend, Circle of Fire, Athabascan, Just Fine...

We will literally have like 2 Aus horses in the field

That’s kinda my point (unless I misinterpreted). Imagine if none of them ever came cos only Australian bred stayers were eligible, would be a BM84 for millions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was the 1990s for example local stayers would be ok (plus internationals) because tur locals were stronger. But nowdays and past few years the locals collectively.....

It's interesting as there was quite allot of doubt about him getting from 2000 to 2400. Now he needs to go from 2400 to 3200 - I can definitely understand people doubting again or at least being willing to bet against him.

It's interesting as there was quite allot of doubt about him getting from 2000 to 2400. Now he needs to go from 2400 to 3200 - I can definitely understand people doubting again or at least being willing to bet against him.

The doubts were because he flopped his only other run over the trip. Now we have seen him run the trip out strongly with the clear fastest last 200, 400, 600 etc in just his last start.

There should be less concern over running out a trip he has never seen than last week when our only form was a failed previous run at the trip

The doubts were because he flopped his only other run over the trip. Now we have seen him run the trip out strongly with the clear fastest last 200, 400, 600 etc in just his last start.

There should be less concern over running out a trip he has never seen than last week when our only form was a failed previous run at the trip
Great point. Do you have him on top at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back