Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

POST CAULFIELD CUP RANKINGS

Likely going to see a lot of movement after the Geelong Cup and MV Cup in the bottom half but for now

1. BUCKAROO - Had severe doubts on him running out the 2400m last week but the way he ran out that Caulfield Cup I have a lot less doubt on him at Flemington. The absolute quality in the field with strong WFA form and a turn of foot. He doesn't even need to super strong over 2 miles to be winning this, just handle it well enough. Take DDS out of that CC and he wins by 5 with huge margins in behind and cops a big penalty so pretty well weighted with that in mind.

2. ABSURDE - Pushing him above JB with the latter's odds coming in a bit and Sayedaty Sedaty not really franking that Euro 3yo form. Happy to bank on a firmish track at this point which will suit him most of the Euros and we are still getting a reasonable price about him.

3. JAN BRUEGHEL - Slips down simply because his odds are getting in too short and the form around SS didn't look that strong on Saturday.

4. VAUBAN - Simply through a ton of failures with the locals he has continued to ladder up. Still not a huge fan of the horse and if its a firm track on the day ill be leaving him out of pretty much everything.

5. WARP SPEED - Dreadful in the CC but to be fair it is exactly what I was expecting on a wet track. A firm track and 3200m will be completely different but would want to be getting a decent price about him on the day to make up for getting beat 16L leading in.

6. LAND LEGEND - Couldn't possibly have him beating Buckaroo after the CC but still ran 3rd after getting worked up pre race so has to slot in around here.

7. FRANCESCO GUARDI - Ticking along reasonably well behind WFA horses running on ok over unsuitable trips. Has raced three times beyond 2000m in this country for two huge runs and the flop that was too bad to be true in the CC last year so can see him improving well at his next run and coming into First 4 contention. Needs to pass the ballot still but would want to be doing that if he is any chance anyway.

8. SAINT GEORGE - Likely gone based on last run but if he was to bounce back in the MV Cup he is at least one who has the ability to win at his best which a lot of these don't.

9. KINESIOLOGY - Hard to see him getting a run at this point but if Birdman is favourite in a Geelong Cup and a 30-40s chance then this guy is a watch bringing in better form.

10. OKITA SOUSHI - Simply a tail end of First 4s option but has finally found some sort of form in this country and will run out the 2 miles and if he could run 11th in the race last year I could easily see him picking up a spot or 2 this year.

Pros for VS to run in cup

Luxury weight 56 now, Very Elleegant carried 57 to win.
Predicted dry track where she performs best on
Flemington even suits her better
The race is of 8.5 million
Yulong has established its empire here why would you not want to win our most famous race.
She is 7yo mare and only has probably one or 2 more campaigns left.
She just wins if she gets the trip.

Cons

The distance.

Verry Elleegant faced an ordinary Cup field when she won it. Apart from the runner up and third placing horses...who else was it.

We've had some garbage fields in the past few years depthwise. Verry Elleegant despite her Cup win wasn't that good...yeah sure nice horse and a good horse....but in a stronger era of Australian racing at 1600m+ where there was depth...she would of been found out.

Far too many people these days fail to take in all circumstances and just label horses as champions. There's levels in this sport. Verry Elleegant never ran a high rating for her Cup win again in another race and she was also found out outside Australia in France when she raved there.

But make no mistake, racing sadly, in Australia at 1600m+ has been poor in terms of depth for the past 10 to 12 years.

Verry Elegant won the MC the year she was set for the Cup. Was a bit sluggish in the lead up races because she had been trained for the 3200. Via Sis was clearly set for yesterday. That being said, she is a far superior horse than anything else going around.

Verry Elegant won the MC the year she was set for the Cup. Was a bit sluggish in the lead up races because she had been trained for the 3200. Via Sis was clearly set for yesterday. That being said, she is a far superior horse than anything else going around.

No doubt VE was set for the Cup. I'm just making the general comment that racing at 1600m+ in Australia for the past 10 to 12 years has not been strong at all in terms of depth. VE would of been found out in the 1990s/early-mid 2000s.

The only good thing we have is the massive prize money but outside Australia within the world racing circuit....we are looked down upon for our racing at 1600m+....and with good reason too. For me as a world racing fan and as a Aussie racing fan....it saddens me.

So You Think faced a higher Cup field though. Americain better stayer and Maluckyday was one of the better locals too.

So You Think a better horse than Via Sistina. The 2024 Cup field is seriously lacking depth. It's a farce.

Americain ran to a good figure on the day but he was definitely bringing in no stronger form than the raiders coming this year and Maluckyday was kind of rubbish who was just in a bit of form at the exact right time.

SYT carried the same weight as a stallion, was bred to run a trip and was trained by the greatest trainer of stayers we have ever seen

Americain ran to a good figure on the day but he was definitely bringing in no stronger form than the raiders coming this year and Maluckyday was kind of rubbish who was just in a bit of form at the exact right time.

SYT carried the same weight as a stallion, was bred to run a trip and was trained by the greatest trainer of stayers we have ever seen

Well Maluckyday is better than the locals now.

So You Think produced a Timeform rating of 128 in that 2010 Cup. Had he ran in Verry Elleegants field...he beats her....and the rest.

I don't think he is at all. Maluckyday won a shitty midweek race at Canterbury a month before the Cup

But after that win he became a two-time stakes winner before the 3rd placing in the Cup.

They all win a "shitty midrace" event at some stage.

But after that win he became a two-time stakes winner before the 3rd placing in the Cup.

They all win a "shitty midrace" event at some stage.

Not 5 weeks out from the Cup they don't. The 2 races he then won were an awful Listed Tatts Cup against the absolute dregs in Sydney and a pretty meh Lexus. He just found form at the right time really but we have horses now going well enough to win races like he did leading in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not know if VS runs but clearly it is being considered so it must have always been a possibility so the posters leading up to the Cox Plate saying no chance to run are incorrect. I can understand the posters saying she should not run and stay 2,000 metres and do not risk If she will get the trip.

However, I cannot accept the opinions that she will not stay and she cannot win. They maybe correct but how do you know for certain. The fact that it is being consider means Waller thinks she will or he is having a lend of us not dismissing it straight away. I really hope she does not only financially because I backed her at 21/1 but because if she runs she adds so much interest to the race.

She is a relaxed horse the first requirement for a quality stayer. She was stronger (even if it was marginally) over Buckaroo at 2,000 on a slow track which clearly favoured Buckaroo because she is lengths better on a good track. So, if Buckaroo is rightfully considered a great winning chance why not VS.

Last edited:
I do not know if VS runs but clearly it is being considered so it must have always been a possibility so the posters leading up to the Cox Plate saying no chance to run are incorrect. I can understand the posters saying she should not run and stay 2,000 metres and do not risk If she will get the trip.

However, I cannot accept the opinions that she will not stay and she cannot win. They maybe correct but how do you know for certain. The fact that it is being consider means Waller thinks she will or he is having a lend of us not dismissing it straight away. I really hope she does not only financially because I backed her at 21/1 but because if she runs she adds so much interest to the race.

She is a relaxed horse the first requirement for a quality stayer. She was stronger (even if it was marginally) over Buckaroo at 2,000 on a slow track which clearly favoured Buckaroo because she is lengths better on a good track. So, if Buckaroo is rightfully considered a great winning chance why not VS.
If she runs agree she would have to be considered a good chance in this weak year even if she can’t run out a strong 3200 (hence she is favourite).

Personally just don’t think she runs given her value and how many don’t come back the same after running a cup.

Brayden Star @ 101/26 PointsBet one of the better priced roughies right now I think. Was good against the biased track in the Herbert Power then likely wins the MV Cup with any luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back