Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

POST CAULFIELD CUP RANKINGS

Likely going to see a lot of movement after the Geelong Cup and MV Cup in the bottom half but for now

1. BUCKAROO - Had severe doubts on him running out the 2400m last week but the way he ran out that Caulfield Cup I have a lot less doubt on him at Flemington. The absolute quality in the field with strong WFA form and a turn of foot. He doesn't even need to super strong over 2 miles to be winning this, just handle it well enough. Take DDS out of that CC and he wins by 5 with huge margins in behind and cops a big penalty so pretty well weighted with that in mind.

2. ABSURDE - Pushing him above JB with the latter's odds coming in a bit and Sayedaty Sedaty not really franking that Euro 3yo form. Happy to bank on a firmish track at this point which will suit him most of the Euros and we are still getting a reasonable price about him.

3. JAN BRUEGHEL - Slips down simply because his odds are getting in too short and the form around SS didn't look that strong on Saturday.

4. VAUBAN - Simply through a ton of failures with the locals he has continued to ladder up. Still not a huge fan of the horse and if its a firm track on the day ill be leaving him out of pretty much everything.

5. WARP SPEED - Dreadful in the CC but to be fair it is exactly what I was expecting on a wet track. A firm track and 3200m will be completely different but would want to be getting a decent price about him on the day to make up for getting beat 16L leading in.

6. LAND LEGEND - Couldn't possibly have him beating Buckaroo after the CC but still ran 3rd after getting worked up pre race so has to slot in around here.

7. FRANCESCO GUARDI - Ticking along reasonably well behind WFA horses running on ok over unsuitable trips. Has raced three times beyond 2000m in this country for two huge runs and the flop that was too bad to be true in the CC last year so can see him improving well at his next run and coming into First 4 contention. Needs to pass the ballot still but would want to be doing that if he is any chance anyway.

8. SAINT GEORGE - Likely gone based on last run but if he was to bounce back in the MV Cup he is at least one who has the ability to win at his best which a lot of these don't.

9. KINESIOLOGY - Hard to see him getting a run at this point but if Birdman is favourite in a Geelong Cup and a 30-40s chance then this guy is a watch bringing in better form.

10. OKITA SOUSHI - Simply a tail end of First 4s option but has finally found some sort of form in this country and will run out the 2 miles and if he could run 11th in the race last year I could easily see him picking up a spot or 2 this year.

Top 3 should get it into MC? $201 Lads, $151 fair but could do worse than chuck $10 on it there and if runs top 3 should be able to trade a decent enough of that back.

LDDV / WOTH can jump it though.

Not sure where he would land with prizemoney earned but if he wasn't winning a Bendigo Cup I wouldn't be too bothered with not having a ticket anyway. Much more upside with price reduction and you know you're in if you just take the win double anyway

I'll probably get done for contracting myself somewhere but who cares...I do remember Frankie Dettori once saying that you don't necessarily need a 2 mile horse to win the cup but a 2400m horse with a little bit of class could get the job done.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll probably get done for contracting myself somewhere but who cares...I do remember Frankie Dettori once saying that you don't necessarily need a 2 mile horse to win the cup but a 2400m horse with a little bit of class could get the job done.

That's right and Dettori would know. In the 1999 Melbourne Cup he rode the Godolphin trained Central Park (57.5kg). The furtherest Central Park had won at prior to the Melbourne Cup was 2386m.

He nearly led all the way to win that Melbourne Cup.

Sea King @ $370 to do the Bendigo Cup / Melbourne Cup double at Ladbrokes not the worst play

Finished alongside Onesmoothoperator in the Ebor with the shorter SP and meets a similar field to what that horse did in the Geelong Cup before he won and came into single figures. Currently favourite for the Bendigo Cup and if he wins that you wont be getting $80 about him which is what the related outcomes juice comes out as

Even the Bendigo Cup win into a Melbourne Cup placing looks overs at about $114. Implying about a $25 place price if he were to win the Bendigo Cup which he would be much shorter than
Poison unders! Poi Poi. Slowbor form?! As the mighty Paris is no longer around I'll say it for him :)

Poison unders! Poi Poi. Slowbor form?! As the mighty Paris is no longer around I'll say it for him :)

Geelong cup winner must be utter poi poi then! Worst case is do the $10 on SK, best case it wins and is $21 and can sell $60 x $21 for a tidy enough trade profit with a bit left over.

Not sure where he would land with prizemoney earned but if he wasn't winning a Bendigo Cup I wouldn't be too bothered with not having a ticket anyway. Much more upside with price reduction and you know you're in if you just take the win double anyway

Reckon top 3 $ would be enough but depends on the other two.

Got wind of it last week but confirmed Lane on Kovalica

Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Just in regards to Via Sistina if they do run her in the Melbourne Cup.

Horses who go to the Cup off a G1 WFA win generally run well in the Cup.

We don’t see it so much now since the Mackinnon Stakes moved from Vic Derby day (to final day of Cup carnival) but it’s been a proven formula:

Plus, nothing has ever gone into the Melbourne Cup off a WFA G1 win like Via Sistina produced on Saturday.

1986: At Talaq
1st Mackinnon Stakes (58.5kg)
1st Melbourne Cup (54.5kg)
Dropped 4kg

1988: Empire Rose
1st Mackinnon Stakes (56.5kg)
1st Melbourne Cup (53.5kg)
Dropped 3kg

1991: Let's Elope
1st Mackinnon Stakes (54.5kg)
1st Melbourne Cup (51kg)
Dropped 3.5kg

1992: Veandercross
1st: Mackinnon Stakes (57kg)
2nd: Melbourne Cup (54.5kg)
Dropped 2.5kg

1994: Paris Lane
1st: Mackinnon Stakes (57kg)
2nd: Melbourne Cup (55.5kg)
Dropped 1.5kg

1996: Saintly
1st: Cox Plate (57kg)
1st: Melbourne Cup (55.5kg)
Dropped 1.5kg

1998: Champagne
1st: Mackinnon Stakes (54.5kg)
2nd: Melbourne Cup (51kg)
Dropped 3.5kg

1999: Rogan Josh
1st: Mackinnon Stakes (58kg)
1st: Melbourne Cup (50kg)
Dropped 8kg

2005: Makybe Diva
1st: Cox Plate (55.5kg)
1st: Melbourne Cup (58kg)
Increased 2.5kg

2010: So You Think
1st Mackinnon Stakes (58kg)
3rd: Melbourne Cup (56kg)
Dropped 2kg

As history says.....last start G1 WFA winners can run top 3 in the Melbourne Cup.

I would give her less than 2% chance of lining up in the race. Wouldn't make much sense as a gun 2000m horse with the Champion Stakes sitting there if needed post Cox Plate. Plus Waller already has Buckaroo going to the Cup so no need to test both his star middle distance horses. She also doesn't even look like a 2 miler so would be very strange.

Verry Elleegant was already an Oaks, Tancred and CC winner over 2400m before she even contested and lost her first MC

Latest mail is VS runs in the cup. Good to read the Waller tea leaves right through Very Elleegant's preparation being identical to VS and get the 21/1 on offer last week. Gee she is going to take some beating on a good track where she has won 6 with4 placings.

Latest mail is VS runs in the cup. Good to read the Waller tea leaves right through Very Elleegant's preparation being identical to VS and get the 21/1 on offer last week. Gee she is going to take some beating on a good track where she has won 6 with4 placings.

Looks like she will be carrying the top weight. On form she's the one but can she get the 2 miles, if she does, she's an even money chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like she will be carrying the top weight. On form she's the one but can she get the 2 miles, if she does, she's an even money chance.

That is the unknown but she switches off in the run which is a really good attribute to have to run the trip. The other theory I have is really strong big mares are at no disadvantage to stallions and geldings yet they get a 2.5 weight advantage under the weight for age scale. It is part of the reason why many of our recent absolute champions are mares like Black Caviar, Sunline and Winx. The other of course is so many our potential champion stallions retire early to stud.

That is the unknown but she switches off in the run which is a really good attribute to have to run the trip. The other theory I have is really strong big mares are at no disadvantage to stallions and geldings yet they get a 2.5 weight advantage under the weight for age scale. It is part of the reason why many of our recent absolute champions are mares like Black Caviar, Sunline and Winx. The other of course is so many our potential champion stallions retire early to stud.

That's what made So You Think so good. He didn't retire early. Instead, he took on the world.....and succeeded. World class horse.

That's right and Dettori would know. In the 1999 Melbourne Cup he rode the Godolphin trained Central Park (57.5kg). The furtherest Central Park had won at prior to the Melbourne Cup was 2386m.

He nearly led all the way to win that Melbourne Cup.

Umm..thank you for bringing up the '99 Cup.
I drew Central Park in 4 sweeps and backed it ew think it was about 50 or 60/1.
Kayf Tara would've won that cup by panels had he not gone amiss a few days before the race.

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back