Prediction 2024 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of analysis from Fox Footy on the team strengths & weaknesses (love some good stats!):

GWS GIANTS

Strength

Kings of the punish — no team makes the opposition pay more than the 6-1 Giants. They’re ranked first in points for (107.3), points from turnover (65.1) and points from defensive half (42.9) in a seriously elite profile that showcases GWS’ potent ability to run in waves.

Weakness

Despite the view that the Giants are stacked in the midfield, they’re actually ranked 16th in the competition in clearances (-3). Kieren Briggs (6.7 clearances per game, ranked ninth in the AFL) and Tom Green (6.1 per game, ranked 17th) lead them in that area, but there’s a significant drop off to their next best — Stephen Coniglio (4.6, ranked 50th), who’s currently sidelined by injury.

Tactical changes from last year

Kicking short and sweet. The Giants are ranked first in short percentage in a considerable change from being the ninth-ranked team in this area last year. It’s clearly working given how devastating Adam Kingsley’s side’s scoring profile has been.

Health check

46 games lost to injury (8th-most)

As if we didn’t have enough problems due to injuries (thank goodness for the bye next week), we have umpires regularly against us - the third most victimised in the competition:-(

the latest Free Kick Ladder below:

FK Ladder Round 11

Note: The Free Kick Ladder will be back after Round 16 once every side has had their mid-season bye.

Peatling was good. Just what our midfield needs.
Agree. Watched the replay last night and his attack on the ball was impressive. Angwin was also good and is another hard runner both ways and tackle at the end of the game was ferocious. Finn's second and third quarter were excellent his ability to move through congestion and then hit a lateral handball to a team mate in space opens up the game.

Agree. Watched the replay last night and his attack on the ball was impressive. Angwin was also good and is another hard runner both ways and tackle at the end of the game was ferocious. Finn's second and third quarter were excellent his ability to move through congestion and then hit a lateral handball to a team mate in space opens up the game.
Agree with all of that .
Peatling is hard at it has excellent agility. His not overly clean and misses targets a bit is his weakness. Everyone has weaknesses.
XOH is similar. I think he fumbles less but takes worse options. Bedford isn't as hard at it but runs super well and adds heaps of defensive pressure.
He misses a lot of targets by hand and foot.
The thing is, all 3 of them have clear strengths, and each being energy and something similar to the team., however with all 3 of them on the field together they can breakdown the tsunami by missing what they should make
Playing all 3 is an issue imo

Agree with all of that .
Peatling is hard at it has excellent agility. His not overly clean and misses targets a bit is his weakness. Everyone has weaknesses.
XOH is similar. I think he fumbles less but takes worse options. Bedford isn't as hard at it but runs super well and adds heaps of defensive pressure.
He misses a lot of targets by hand and foot.
The thing is, all 3 of them have clear strengths, and each being energy and something similar to the team., however with all 3 of them on the field together they can breakdown the tsunami by missing what they should make
Playing all 3 is an issue imo
I’d rather Kelly and Cogs …. But we don’t have that luxury

I’d rather Kelly and Cogs …. But we don’t have that luxury
Absolutely .
I think Bedford's spot may be in danger .
Not for now as Gothard probably not ready, but looking like he'll be very valuable, lose a bit at work rate, but much more skill from what I've seen.

I don't want to see Bedford in the centre square again. It hasn't worked, he was the best pressure fwd in the competition last year, that's the role he knows, makes our talls better. I think they were looking for a Rankine type and hes not that player. Peatling has gone past Ward for a centre spot, just have to persist with him. Same with Finn, he has everything, just keep on playing him there and backing him, could be Judd good with his breakaway speed and has a big enough body for it. Cadman has stopped attacking marking contests like he was preseason and early rounds, it's likely a balancing act to get his confidence back, whether it's VFL or persisting with seniors only coaches would know, if there's VFL this week it might be a good time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back