Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounding more like a rambling Don Scott every day
Spiro Kouramedies V LDU
Darren Ogden V Larkey

Please what rubbish. North should have beaten last years premiers 2 weeks ago.
Pies played like crap.

80s footballers were much tougher mentally.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I absolutely see Doc slotting right back into this side. He could be on Ollie's wing, or he could be in the middle, or as a half forward rotating through the midfield. As much as I love them, Doc is better than Kennedy and Hewett. He doesn't take a backwards step, he has a massive instinctive footy brain, and a penetrating kick. Aside from that, he is hugely inspirational. If he can't get in ahead of Cottrell, Ollie, Kennedy or Hewett, something is very wrong.
We're talking in another 12 months (well, next year) when Doc will be 31 years old coming off a 3rd knee reco. His agility was already noticeably worse after the previous 2, after 3 it will only be slower.

I didn't say he won't get a game, just suggested I don't really see him walking into the best 22 anymore. I don't think he gets into the back 6 or 7 over anyone, so at that point you're fitting him into another position. Will he be better than our current wingers next year? That may be his best chance, but I'm not convinced. Ollie may be his best chance, but if a 31 yr old coming off a 3rd knee reco not in his natural position is being picked over a 3rd yr, first round pick in his natural position him then something is very wrong.

I definitely think he gets a run of games at some point, due to injury or rotation or otherwise. But walking right into the best 22, I'm not so sure anymore.

We're talking in another 12 months (well, next year) when Doc will be 31 years old coming off a 3rd knee reco. His agility was already noticeably worse after the previous 2, after 3 it will only be slower.

I didn't say he won't get a game, just suggested I don't really see him walking into the best 22 anymore. I don't think he gets into the back 6 or 7 over anyone, so at that point you're fitting him into another position. Will he be better than our current wingers next year? That may be his best chance, but I'm not convinced. Ollie may be his best chance, but if a 31 yr old coming off a 3rd knee reco not in his natural position is being picked over a 3rd yr, first round pick in his natural position him then something is very wrong.

I definitely think he gets a run of games at some point, due to injury or rotation or otherwise. But walking right into the best 22, I'm not so sure anymore.
We love Cowan but Doc 100% gets picked over him when fit.

We love Cowan but Doc 100% gets picked over him when fit.
Don't play the same role, Cow plays a far more defensive role than Doc who's more a rebounding attacker. They could try that swap, though.

Again, you're talking about a 31 yr old off a 3rd knee, it's not cut and dry he'll come back in and pick up where he left off and just be better than Cowan who's cemented his place and will be in yr 3. He's pushing up hill - as he always has done mind. Doc will still play a role in the 1s, I just doubt it's a genuine best 22 role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just continually saying "31 year old coming off his 3rd knee " continually doesn't make your argument.

This is Doc we're talking about. He's barely human. He'd walk in to our current team as one of the three wingers we play. Couldn't see any reason as to why he wouldn't next year and he'll probably mentor Lucas Camporeale to take over when he retires in 2030.

Just continually saying "31 year old coming off his 3rd knee " continually doesn't make your argument.

This is Doc we're talking about. He's barely human. He'd walk in to our current team as one of the three wingers we play. Couldn't see any reason as to why he wouldn't next year and he'll probably mentor Lucas Camporeale to take over when he retires in 2030.
Unfortunately, a 3rd traumatic injury to a key joint when you're past 30 is a big deal, you can't dismiss that. Of course he'd be playing in the team now without it, but unfortunately it did, so we project to next year. His agility was already diminished post the 2nd and his speed isn't what it was but still ok. Post a 3rd knee, with natural physical decline post 30, isn't a great outlook from a physical perspective. Then with continued growth from Ollie and others on the wing, and off half back, being a walk up best 22 player I'm not so sure of.

It's also worth bearing in mind the injury was in round 1, where ACLs are often 11-12 month injuries anyway, so he'd have had an adapted pre-season and been potentially fit for rd 1 but no guarantee in that case. This is his third and is post 30 (as you say, I do keep repeating, but it's the key point and can't be overlooked), so recovery will be even longer and more cautious. He likely will not even be match fit until well into the season.

Fwiw I've never written him off and I haven't said he won't continue next year. In fact I've said he'll play in the seniors next yr. I believe he'll play a rotational role covering injury/rotation, likely mid-late season depending on how long recovery will be. But best 22? That is my doubt.

Fwiw I, like everyone else, hope he does and hope he is back to the same level as before, none of what I'm saying is that I'm moving past him due to anything other than the cold reality of injury, age & the industry he's in. He's the feel good story of the century, coming back and having an impact (and hopefully winning a flag) is the stuff of legend and I'd be cheering as hard as every other Carlton fan/football person. With no sense of irony or copping out/caveat I fully hope as much as every other Carlton fan that I'm wrong.

Just take a look at my DP if you doubt me on that hope.

Dude I've been putting this out ALL SEASON.......one of the boy's club suggests it, it becomes a grand idea, read some other posts folks you may learn something

Same. I wanted us to look at Jeremy over a year ago, when he was talking about wanting to play with Mitch at some point. The issues raised then still hold true however ... both aren't very durable. Could easily win us a flag if they both played on GF day though.

Ideas are recycled constantly on BigFooty. Most will have an inkling they have read it before, but they either don't subscribe at the time, or they liked the idea then and they like it now, so they engage.

It all rights itself over time. You'll suggest something next week that somebody else has suggested a long time ago, and posters will engage like it's a new thing. But it is a new thing ... to them, at that moment.

It's a goldfish bowl. Not many are going back in time to see if something existed previously.

I'm getting over this site, getting all woke and 'in', might hang up my lantern like Harker, Thy and the other notables (not that that was me but life is too short for these .... to tell me to pull my head in). We'll win this flag and I'll celebrate....

Nothing 'in' about the site. People form their own bonds I assume. It's a reflection of life. There's no sanctioned cliques though.

As for 'woke' ... that depends on your definition.

Same. I wanted us to look at Jeremy over a year ago, when he was talking about wanting to play with Mitch at some point. The issues raised then still hold true however ... both aren't very durable. Could easily win us a flag if they both played on GF day though.

Ideas are recycled constantly on BigFooty. Most will have an inkling they have read it before, but they either don't subscribe at the time, or they liked the idea then and they like it now, so they engage.

It all rights itself over time. You'll suggest something next week that somebody else has suggested a long time ago, and posters will engage like it's a new thing. But it is a new thing ... to them, at that moment.

It's a goldfish bowl. Not many are going back in time to see if something existed previously.
You and I have had our moments but thankyou for that level of support and acknowledgement, means more than you would realise, maybe not, my father's old Croatian mate would say that you were "good on ya", ODN you are, and right now I'm low

Harks & Thy are Done?
See what I mean about the goldfish bowl?
^ That was a serious question. Genuinely confused here.
The Old Dark Navy's - I understand your reference, but I’m not sure how my question fits in. What, I’m supposed to trawl through several weeks of posts to try and find a reference for each of them suggesting they’ve quit?

DirtyLeeds - unsure why you would ‘disagree’ with a question or what context you read into that genuine question.

^ That was a serious question. Genuinely confused here.
The Old Dark Navy's - I understand your reference, but I’m not sure how my question fits in. What, I’m supposed to trawl through several weeks of posts to try and find a reference for each of them suggesting they’ve quit?

DirtyLeeds - unsure why you would ‘disagree’ with a question or what context you read into that genuine question.

Tongue in cheek BT.

Harker left years ago on his own free will. Not sure there was any parting words.

Thy infracted out on BigFooty months ago. There is a thread in the Blue Room about posters people miss, where this is discussed.

The goldfish bowl isn't an insult btw. It's just a reality. People wouldn't even know what search criteria to type into the search function to find answers on many things, as titles aren't always informative and poster names are shortened for familiarity.

Having been around for a long time, I see most topics come around again every few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back