• McDonald

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 84 53.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't doubt your Intel at all but my understanding is WC would love him if they can somehow satisfy Richmond without giving away high picks, maybe through player trading.
I mean, yeah, so they don’t really want him. Baker isn’t THAT good, they could get him and commit to him if they wanted. I’m sure they’d like Curnow as well if they could get him without losing high picks

I’m confident enough to put my perfect record on the line (ignore my sig) and say Baker will be at Freo next year so peeps should get used to that idea. Also, ignore whatever crap Ralph comes up with, even the Clark stuff in his latest story is complete rubbish
Great news
Thanks 👍

What’s your thoughts on Zuurhaar oh great one ?
Are we a chance?
Do you rate him ?

I reckon he’d be a good fit to take some heat off Amiss and a much better option than Sturt

I’m about to shake my head off my shoulders at everyone wanting to fork out a 1st rounder AND free agent money for a useful FA aged player who doesn’t do much in the way of kicking goals

Same sort of ‘ he’s versatile ‘ and ‘ veteran leadership ‘ crap people were running with when the JOM trade was getting spruiked up

Tigers have seen the future and will be looking to sucker punch their way out of a Tim Kelly style list misread with Taranto and Hooper

Oh look here comes Freo

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m about to shake my head off my shoulders at everyone wanting to fork out a 1st rounder AND free agent money for a useful FA aged player who doesn’t do much in the way of kicking goals

Same sort of ‘ he’s versatile ‘ and ‘ veteran leadership ‘ crap people were running with when the JOM trade was getting spruiked up

Tigers have seen the future and will be looking to sucker punch their way out of a Tim Kelly style list misread with Taranto and Hooper

Oh look here comes Freo

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Got any better options ?

I mean, yeah, so they don’t really want him. Baker isn’t THAT good, they could get him and commit to him if they wanted. I’m sure they’d like Curnow as well if they could get him without losing high picks
Well that's kind of my point. They want to pay what they believe he is worth (second rounder) but don't have it, so they will try to do a player swap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Baker is a good player but he only looks that dynamic because of the free-flowing attacking style Richmond has played over the last 7 years. How will he look in our defence first, structured, stop start style of play?

Surely with what is happening at Tigers at moment needing to rebuild then Bolton would be a possibility
He could play high half forward, has pace and is a good kick, perfect replacement for Sonny
Would love Bolton but I should have clarified with availability and want to come to Freo

I think Baker is a good player but he only looks that dynamic because of the free-flowing attacking style Richmond has played over the last 7 years. How will he look in our defence first, structured, stop start style of play?
Think it might be the opposite and have said it before

We can move it quickly out of defence and we have the weapons but we don’t have forwards to move it to hence it slows up

Need players like Baker who are willing and able to go fast

A big part of the salary stuff is accepting that the salary cap hike is gonna make fairly realistic payments look unrealistic. Will Hayward is being offered 800k a year, not so long ago that was Lachie Neale money. Particularly considering we sorted out a fair few contracts before the cap hike started, Baker will probably start out earning an amount of money that, relative to our player list, looks unrealistic (the fact he'd be borderline Serong territory is a bit crazy). But that will equalise over time, and in the grand scheme of things won't look too bad, especially compared to the craziness that Adelaide were prepared to offer to "the next Wayne Carey" Harrison Petty.

Re Baker, I think he can move the needle a fair bit considering the interesting options we're playing in fwd areas right now (also I just think he looks best when his inside midfield time is spot minutes). Agreed that he doesn't come in as a significant volume scorer, and that's what we need to improve most in our small/medium fwds: in that vein I'd like a Zurhaar + Baker combo, assuming Zurhaar can play in a fwd line with 3 talls.

I think at the end of the day with Baker, to a large extent it's "we have the capital to make big moves in areas of weakness now, an opportunity that we may not have in years to come, and we don't have time waiting and wishing for the perfect target to magically materialise so near enough is good enough."

Some of those contracts we sorted out would have been factoring in the future salary cap hikes. Cox and Darcy in particular. As far as I can tell, Cox was announced 1 day after the new CBA was formalised. Coincidence? Darcy a couple of months later. Some of the others they would have been anticipating a big increase as they would have been aware of the negotiations to hike the salary cap. For example Amiss was done 2 months prior to the official CBA.

From figures released for 2023, players ranked in the 9-13 range should cover the 500k-600k bracket. That's around where Baker might sit on our list. Let's say 550k. If we add 5% for 2024, then 12% for the 2025 jump, that's around $650k. Obviously Baker might be on more and/or get offered even more at the Tigers. But I don't think we should be going much higher than $650-$700k. If Baker is after more money, I'd rather he stay at Richmond or go to WC. Every $100k matters.

Excuse my ignorance as I don't tend to watch Richmond, what exactly would Baker add to the team? Would he be a Best 23 player for us?
Grit, grunt, class and leadership.

Halfback, stints in the middle, or half forward as the delivery guy to the forwards.

I think there’s bigger needs personally, but can understand the rationale.

Grit, grunt, class and leadership.

Halfback, stints in the middle, or half forward as the delivery guy to the forwards.

I think there’s bigger needs personally, but can understand the rationale.

In my opinion we have two needs.

1. 2 quality small forwards who kick goals. Currently we have JOM, Walters and Banfield in the side who all need replacing.
2. Outside class, and speed.

Baker on fills the 2nd need, but it does not mean we should not get him.

It will make us reach more with the draft, as it leaves one big hole .

A small forward free agent or trade would help.
Even Zurhaar would help, although I am not sure he fits our system.

I am on the fence with Baker, and Zurhaar. Will look at the draft later in the year, and hope some forwards rise up the rankings.

Back