MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect that there is an element of not wanting to create a precedent there.

Kind if like "we agree but we don't want anyone else to use that defence so we'll let you off on a technicality. Here's your slap on the wrist and off you go".
They should have set precedence though. Don’t ****ing duck your head! We’re trying to prevent concussions FFS

Michael Christian trying too hard to be relevant I guess - about time someone else came into his role
I thought the same….except the tribunal agreed with him and only let Boyd off because he took a few short steps.

They actually found the player did not duck. Read that again. It took them 4 hours to decide he did not duck.

I thought the same….except the tribunal agreed with him and only let Boyd off because he took a few short steps.

They actually found the player did not duck. Read that again. It took them 4 hours to decide he did not duck.
Yep good result for us today however clear as mud outlook on it all now …

Anyone who who can watch the footage and not see Mansell duck should have their driver’s license immediately revoked

Perhaps people take exception with the word duck, but he still lowered his head/shoulders when faced with an opposition player about to make contact

Did Mansell have time to rise completely or turn to one side, probably not. And it may have been a subconscious flinch to protect himself, but Mansell doesn't shirk a contest

Sometimes, there will be accidental contact, with no intent

Think it's time we sent out a senior "diplomat" to have a quiet word with Michael Christian and Brian Taylor...

01CaRi22MW1543.jpg
Can we get Jimmy Buckley and Rhys-Jones to assist as Vossy’s wingmen…they have plenty of tribunal experience.

Perhaps people take exception with the word duck, but he still lowered his head/shoulders when faced with an opposition player about to make contact

Did Mansell have time to rise completely or turn to one side, probably not. And it may have been a subconscious flinch to protect himself, but Mansell doesn't shirk a contest

Hmmm I reckon he dropped his head to draw the free

Surely a flinch for self protection is away from the danger, not towards it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't make a finding that Mansell deliberately ducked for a free kick, but it could be interpreted that he ducked/crouched to protect himself (I don't think this was mentioned).

Either way, the way it's all played out has been pretty stupid. Mansell shouldn't have ducked and it should never have been a week.

So Mansell didn’t duck?

What have these dudes been smoking…………………
must be Some high quality gear 😂

I think if mansell was genuinely trying to protect himself from impact he should not have ducked his head - heaps more risk than if he had raised his head/body and even could have raised his left arm up slightly to lessen the impact

Instead he ducked the head most likely to draw the free - very careless on his part

They didn't make a finding that Mansell deliberately ducked for a free kick, but it could be interpreted that he ducked/crouched to protect himself (I don't think this was mentioned).

Either way, the way it's all played out has been pretty stupid. Mansell shouldn't have ducked and it should never have been a week.

Should never have been a free kick.

Mansell should have suspended for a week for stupidity.

For those unfamiliar with legal wordings.

"We do not make that finding"

is not, "he didn't do it."

It's more like we don't want to say he did, because that's not what we're here to do.

They found, by the letter of the rules that they had to decide it was medium impact, and also that it wasn't because Boyd was obviously not trying to hurt Mansell

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is central to who is at fault so you can't rule on one but not the other. Imagine cripps loses a Brownlow for hitting someone high who ducked.

No, they didn't.

"Boyd submitted that Mansell deliberately ducked to get a free kick. We do not make that finding on the evidence before us."

They haven't ruled that Mansell "didn't duck". The ruled that our claim that Mansell ducked to win a free kick couldn't be supported on the available evidence. No evidence was presented relating to Mansell's intent, and he wasn't there to be questioned about it.

You can gnash your teeth if you like, but they were never going to come out and announce that they'd made a ruling on the "intent" of a player who wasn't involved in the hearing.

We probably should have left out the part about trying to win a free, that was the "victim blaming" part, arguing the player wanted to be hit high. May have been better to just frame it as "whether deliberate or instinctive, Mansell was rising as Boyd approached and then lowered his head in anticipation of contact" and then gone on with the stuff about Boyd slowing to minimise impact once Mansell reversed his movement.

In the end, Boyd gets off with a peanuts fine that the club will probably find a way to cover or reimburse him for. The only thing he's lost is a decent home-cooked dinner and some Netflix time.

Surely a flinch for self protection is away from the danger, not towards it?
footy players dont flinch like that either. They're footy players... Taught ****ing... Habits... Had ages to just fall over the boundary instead. Turn side on

Someone will break their neck trying to get a high free

The opinion is a joke. They found that Mansell didn't duck. Really? What was that little dip of the head and shoulders just before Boyd made contact with him. All that finding did was make it easier for the duckers and divers to get free kicks from ducking their head and driving into a tackle.

Didn't Mark Austin suffer a broken neck from doing something like that? What's it going to take to get the AFL to get serious about idiots who put themselves into situations where they could suffer from serious injury, just to win a free kick.

That being said... good that Boyd got off the suspension.

EDIT: It was Simon White.
They also mentioned Boyd ran in with the intention to bump. At no stage did Boyd turn his body to bump.

Muppets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back