Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

While I don't believe this to be true, you left out banning the 3rd man up rule which Cripps was domination for throwins

PS I am not sure Lucas, Watson, Menzel, Boekhurst and Bootsma were power athletes.
The first interchange cap was 2014 and 120; the subsequent reductions occurred in 2016 and 2021, from 120 to 90 and from 90 to 75.

Here are the players we got in prior to 2016, after deciding to go the hard rebuild:
2015: Jacob Weitering, Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, Matthew Kennedy, David Cuningham, Jack Silvagni
2016: Will Setterfield, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Tom Williamson, Patrick Kerr, Kym Lebois

Of that group, only really LOB was an endurance athlete; the rest were selected for other reasons, one of the main ones being size and athletic dynamism. Going a tall more or less on average for every small also doesn't help; it puts more pressure on the smalls to be on their game as a small player, more chasing, more sprinting because you know your teammate can't keep up.

The AFL going from unlimited interchange to 75 capped within three years is an incredible imposition on a club rebuilding, much less when you've also taken away their runners while you're at it. It's why I'm incredibly bitter at Hawthorn, whose rebuild has been ****ing cruizy considering what we had to put up with. They get games in Tasmania with a true home ground advantage. They get to play the top 4 at home (seriously, look at their draw, it's ****ing bonkers how soft it is) and they get the bottom sides away.

They get soft blankets and porridge with honey. We got gruel and a stone floor.

Here are the players we got in prior to 2016, after deciding to go the hard rebuild:
2015: Jacob Weitering, Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, Matthew Kennedy, David Cuningham, Jack Silvagni
2016: Will Setterfield, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Tom Williamson, Patrick Kerr, Kym Lebois

Kennedy was traded to Carlton at the end of 2017, Setterfield a year later.

Regarding the ruck setup, not the 1st time it’s occurred. I would imagine we would have a strategy of combating this by now and White is correct, TdK should have moved around the circle more and I would have even jumped from behind Briggs for something different. The umpires refuse to pay the block, so no use doing the same thing over and over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kennedy was traded to Carlton at the end of 2017, Setterfield a year later.
That was obtained copy-paste from the club website. If they're not accurate, dunno what to tell you.

That was obtained copy-paste from the club website. If they're not accurate, dunno what to tell you.

You've missed the "(via GWS)" bits next to both players.
They were drafted in 2015 and 2016, but we traded for each after their initial 2 years contracts.

Other teams will see this as a way of curbing TDK now. I hope CFC ask the question to the AFL about this blocking
Good.

He needs to realise that the umpires are not going to protect him, that he needs to protect himself. From game 1 this year, big rucks have quite literally placed their ribs right in the middle of his path and ****ing dared him to line them up, knowing he won't do anything to push them off it.

He needs - as White states - to learn to raise his knee and go through them. A little bit of mongrel goes a long way.

The first interchange cap was 2014 and 120; the subsequent reductions occurred in 2016 and 2021, from 120 to 90 and from 90 to 75.

Of that group, only really LOB was an endurance athlete; the rest were selected for other reasons, one of the main ones being size and athletic dynamism. Going a tall more or less on average for every small also doesn't help; it puts more pressure on the smalls to be on their game as a small player, more chasing, more sprinting because you know your teammate can't keep up.

The AFL going from unlimited interchange to 75 capped within three years is an incredible imposition on a club rebuilding, much less when you've also taken away their runners while you're at it. It's why I'm incredibly bitter at Hawthorn, whose rebuild has been ****ing cruizy considering what we had to put up with. They get games in Tasmania with a true home ground advantage. They get to play the top 4 at home (seriously, look at their draw, it's ****ing bonkers how soft it is) and they get the bottom sides away.

They get soft blankets and porridge with honey. We got gruel and a stone floor.
To be fair, the draw is a product of your previous years finishing position.

We finished top 4 as a losing preliminary finalist. You cant compare.

We had our nominal "easier" draws when we finished lower down the ladder, we just couldnt seize the opportunities to elevate....

Looking at Teague era into year1 of Voss

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

The one redeeming feature of this game is we found a way not only to stem the tide but dominate play again in the last.

My hope is this tactic is instituted much earlier when a team controls the ball through handball & run.

Bring the freakin pressure, one on one.

Zone defence does not work if a team takes you on this way!
Their pressure was at 230 for a half of football. That's not sustainable long term. Most clubs won't get near that for any length of time.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeff White knows his shit, but if Briggs is going to get between TDK and the ball...

... isn't that just a block, and a ruck infringement?
When Briggs got between him and the ball, TDK should have been putting a knee into his ribs Darcy Moore style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Briggs got between him and the ball, TDK should have been putting a knee into his ribs Darcy Moore style.

I mean, I said this after Nankervis did it round 1:
If I am concerned, what I am concerned about is Tom De Konning.

Nankervis - to be honest, every single Richmond ruck - treated him with utter contempt tonight. He didn't just assume the space, he stood there and invited Tom to do whatever he wanted. In his position, his ribs were available, his head was available, his knees and groin were available; what does Tom do? Absolutely ****ing nothing. He doesn't try and force Nank to do anything different; Nankervis just ****ing set up under the ball and ****ing grabbed it out of the ruck.

To say that the rule change which removes HTB as an option in that situation is dumb is missing the point. Despite the goal he kicked and his last 10 minutes, Tom got smashed tonight by his refusal to get dirty. He wants the clean tap, the massive leap, the globetrotters play, but there's more to rucking than just tapping the ball.

You need to be willing to hurt your opponent some. At the moment, Tom's a labrador when we need a rottweiler.
... and my opinion - regardless of however else he's gone in all other games - hasn't changed.

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back