Review 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I am concerned that Cogs, Greene etc might have missed their opportunity for a premiership.

It would be galling, given Cameron left for Geelong after the 2020 season to win one in 2022.
Cogs shoulder might have been the difference this year, apart from him we had a pretty good year with injuries for once.

I am concerned that Cogs, Greene etc might have missed their opportunity for a premiership.
It's ironic though that Greene has been his own worst enemy this year.

His performances in the finals especially, missing so many easy shots at goal, was a considerable factor in not making the Prelims.

Unfortunately Coniglio's best chance was last year, like Greene.

Not his year due to injuries, which again, was probably a factor in the team not getting to the final 4, playing when he clearly shouldn't have.

It's ironic though that Greene has been his own worst enemy this year.

His performances in the finals especially, missing so many easy shots at goal, was a considerable factor in not making the Prelims.

Unfortunately Coniglio's best chance was last year, like Greene.

Not his year due to injuries, which again, was probably a factor in the team not getting to the final 4, playing when he clearly shouldn't have.
When interviewed last week, Toby said Cogs would be OK to play. Surely all the players know he isn't ok to play.

Last edited:

When interviewed last week, Toby said Cogs would be OK to play. Surely all the players know he isn't ok to play.
An AFL player will never say someone's not ok to play. The only one I can remember saying otherwise was Akermanis talking about Lappin prior to a Grand Final, and that just about saw Akermanis delisted - safe to say if he wasn't a Brownlow medalist midfielder he would've been.

TFG was put in an impossible position.

He shouldn't have been.

That's why I am so pi55ed off with Coniglio and wouldn't be at all unhappy if he was trade bait (which obviously won't happen as discussed).

He got his knickers in a knot over the captaincy, played this year when he shouldn't to the detriment of the team.

Put his captain on the spot.

He better have a damn good 2025 because IMO, there's more than a hint of selfishness about him.

Last edited:

He shouldn't have been.

That's why I am so pi55ed off with Coniglio and wouldn't be at all unhappy if he was trade bait (which obviously won't happen as discussed).

He got his knickers in a knot over the captaincy, played this year when he shouldn't to the detriment of the team.

He better have a damn good 2025 because IMO, there's more than a hint of selfishness about him.
The coaches had to know, overrule his wishes.
I am assume he had a needle to play, but hopefully we don't make the same mistake again. I wonder how Cogs shoulder is compared to James Sicily. He has played at about 90 % with his shoulder, Cogs about 40%.
Presumably Cogs shoulder is worse.

He shouldn't have been.

Let’s not forget he’s played much of his recent career carrying injuries under the direction of the club. He was also quick to declare himself unavailable for the 2019 GF, unlike others.
It’s ultimately up to the selectors to pick him on form and performance on the track.

It’s ultimately up to the selectors to pick him on form and performance on the track.
If Coniglio had the awareness to declare himself unfit for the 2019 GF, therefore taking that decision out of the selectors' hands, why on earth didn't he do it in 2024??

It was absolutely clear he was not fit for AFL standard on his first game back late in the season.

It continued until Saturday when again he looked nowhere near right prior to the cheekbone injury.

It's on HIM, not the selectors.

If Coniglio had the awareness to declare himself unfit for the 2019 GF, therefore taking that decision out of the selectors' hands, why on earth didn't he do it in 2024??

It was absolutely clear he was not fit for AFL standard on his first game back late in the season.

It continued until Saturday when again he looked nowhere near right prior to the cheekbone injury.

It's on HIM, not the selectors.
Surely both. Maybe some other senior players have said to play Cogs.

Surely both. Maybe some other senior players have said to play Cogs.
It's a good question.

Our senior players couldn't be that blind could they??

A lot of us must be totally wrong in what we thought we'd witnessed on game day and beyond!

Damn I want to know the conversations behind his constant selection!

It would be galling, given Cameron left for Geelong after the 2020 season to win one in 2022.
I think they are every chance to be there or there abouts again next year.

I hate to bring up umpiring because it just looks like sour grapes and also detracts from the opponent who is very worthy of staying alive, but it seemed pretty clear from the way the game was umpired that the AFL is happy to have avoided an all Sydney grand final. We probably blew our chance by not hanging on in week 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting decisions to be made as Kingsley seems very strong on the brand he wants to play.
You're right, he appears to want to play the fast-paced game, but has the team selection, especially in the finals, been comparable to sustain that style for 4 quarters?

I'd argue it hasn't been, especially in the midfield.

It also puts into question the players' fitness regime and how that and the gameplan mesh.

Let’s not forget he’s played much of his recent career carrying injuries under the direction of the club. He was also quick to declare himself unavailable for the 2019 GF, unlike others.
Yes, in the end Kingsley has the final say on who will take the field (albeit after listening to input from others)?

The high pressure game plan is either unsustainable for four quarters or does not suit the demographics of the list right now. Interesting decisions to be made as Kingsley seems very strong on the brand he wants to play
Agree, but surely he has to play with the cards he currently has been dealt? Yes, Kingsley can trade and draft to get the players he thinks will play the system he wants, but until then he has to play to the “limitations” of the current list?

Kingsley said in his presser that it's not realistic to win every quarter with our game style. And he is absolutely spot on! AFL is iconic because of momentum shifts. It's inbuilt in its design.

Execution of Plan B when the opposition has the momentum was lacking in the last two games. Plan B is about possession but still going forward so momentum will turn for us.

I actually think Plan B should also involve using boundary channel so if we turn over, stoppages will help us ala Western Bulldogs. Problem is our ruck is an underrated, very good player who is a tier below elite. Our onballers are excellent but can be overrun by bigger bodied opposition with momentum (hence why I thought Mathew Kennedy from Carlton may be useful).

Now the bitter disappointment is somewhat dulled, I'm genuinely hopeful of the next season pending the silly season. We are young, fast and lethal. We bloodied some youngsters. Bedford became the premier tagger in the game, who would've thought?! Hogan won the Coleman when his accuracy was so bad two years ago.

Let's go Giants!

More chat on SEN this morning about moving our ‘big’ games to the SCG. These people haven’t got a clue about Sydney demographics.
These people have the mindset that going between Engie Stadium and the SCG is comparable to Docklands and the MCG.

The walking distance is about 3.5km for the Melbourne grounds. There's a tram line between both - takes less than 20 minutes. No need to drive. Rather easy in comparison which is stating the obvious.

A few facts might get those dolts' attention. But then again, they are dolts......

I always wonder if the ulterior motive for the VFL media is for us to start small with a few games at the SCG, then push for the early season games to also be played at the SCG due to the Easter inconvenience, then - well, you're playing 5 games out of 8 at the SCG, why don't you play all games there?

Will be the death-knell of the club.

More chat on SEN this morning about moving our ‘big’ games to the SCG. These people haven’t got a clue about Sydney demographics.
It's like they forget the entire purpose for the club existing.
If selling out Giants stadium against the big clubs becomes a problem, then I welcome it.

If selling out Giants stadium against the big clubs becomes a problem, then I welcome it.
This is where I sit too.

I can see a time well down the track, after 2032 when our Canberra deal has expired and we're reliably selling out Giants stadium, where it could be a good solution to the Easter show problem to host a couple of games at the SCG. Personally I'd welcome that.

But right now it makes no sense at all. Imagine how empty the SCG would look with 8,000 fans attending the 48,000 capacity venue. The cynical part of me wonders if that's what these people in the media want, so they can write more articles saying "look how empty the stadium is at this GWS game!"

Plus if we do get to that point, plans already exist to build in the scoreboard end to bump us to 30,000.

I think they should play a game at the scg or Henson park during the Easter show, as that gap in time is an absolute killer, however, what these media people don't realise is, there is a train line being built directly to Olympic park, which will turbo charge the giants crowds in a few years time.

Now I hope the afl and club are targeting all the primary schools close to that new line now, so that when it's complete, those kids can easily access the ground and become fully fledged giants fans (but are they smart enough to do so? history says no on that).

I also think there is a real issue with the bright red seats and people standing up the back instead of sitting in their seats, making the stadium look more empty than it actually is. That issue needs to be addressed, as perception is everything these days. I spoke to the club about this early 2023 and they agreed, yet they still haven't done anything about it, which is disappointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back