2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Have some human decency toss.. they do have a 3-2 record against top 7 teams with one of those losses seeing them outshoot the Dogs.. unfortunately being 2-4 against 16th-21st is horrible but would put that more on the players and their mindsets.. not sure how a coach can be fully blamed when their team somehow has a better record and more wins against top 7 teams compared to bottom 6 teams.. you going to blame effort and execution on a coach? Cause there are massive differences when they come up against a top team v a bottom team and if you watch them play, you'd evidently see that
Internally, based on the way we recruited and set ourselves up in the off season, the club was looking for a top 4 position this year. And on paper, we could easily have had it.

I cannot stand people who blame the players when a coach is doing poorly, it's naive and speaks of a limited understanding of how football actually works. The main issue is the squad being unable to run out a game, which puts the responsibility directly on the coach, who is in charge of training, selection and tactics.

I'm confused as to why you seem to imply I don't watch the team play. I've been a member of Port Melbourne since 2010, and I went to almost all the games before shifting to the country a few years ago, and though I can't attend in person as often as I like, I watch every game on the AFL.com stream, either live or a replay. I'm pretty sure I know how my club plays, tahnk you very much.

Internally, based on the way we recruited and set ourselves up in the off season, the club was looking for a top 4 position this year. And on paper, we could easily have had it.

I cannot stand people who blame the players when a coach is doing poorly, it's naive and speaks of a limited understanding of how football actually works. The main issue is the squad being unable to run out a game, which puts the responsibility directly on the coach, who is in charge of training, selection and tactics.

I'm confused as to why you seem to imply I don't watch the team play. I've been a member of Port Melbourne since 2010, and I went to almost all the games before shifting to the country a few years ago, and though I can't attend in person as often as I like, I watch every game on the AFL.com stream, either live or a replay. I'm pretty sure I know how my club plays, tahnk you very much.
No denying the Top 4 potential. Looked like team chemistry was an issue early so maybe things weren't worked on there and then injuries have taken a toll in terms of keeping the same players on the park. A team like Werribee are a good example of this with keeping the same core of players on the park each week.

Welcome to find another example were a team has a positive record against top teams but a negative record against bottom teams. Dont worry, you dont have too because its beyond incredibly rare.. but players mindset shouldn't be questioned? And you're telling me a coach can't coach despite clearly being able to do so against top teams? Ok. A team with a lot of ex-afl players coming up against poor teams with next to no ex-afl players, Im sure a few go into those games thinking they'll get it done on talent and not hard work. Also last I checked, running out games is majority a fitness problem which is actually on the high performance team, not coaching staff.

No denying the Top 4 potential. Looked like team chemistry was an issue early so maybe things weren't worked on there and then injuries have taken a toll in terms of keeping the same players on the park. A team like Werribee are a good example of this with keeping the same core of players on the park each week.

Welcome to find another example were a team has a positive record against top teams but a negative record against bottom teams. Dont worry, you dont have too because its beyond incredibly rare.. but players mindset shouldn't be questioned? And you're telling me a coach can't coach despite clearly being able to do so against top teams? Ok. A team with a lot of ex-afl players coming up against poor teams with next to no ex-afl players, Im sure a few go into those games thinking they'll get it done on talent and not hard work. Also last I checked, running out games is majority a fitness problem which is actually on the high performance team, not coaching staff.
The fact the side has played very, very well against a few top teams but not against a few bottom teams is entirely irrelevant. The team was tipped for top 4, but will finish somewhere around 15th, so the coach has to go, it's as simple as that.

Also, Port doesn't have a "high performance team", we have coaches and assistant coaches. Fitness, training and tactics are the coaches job at a semi-professional or amatuer level

The fact the side has played very, very well against a few top teams but not against a few bottom teams is entirely irrelevant. The team was tipped for top 4, but will finish somewhere around 15th, so the coach has to go, it's as simple as that.

Also, Port doesn't have a "high performance team", we have coaches and assistant coaches. Fitness, training and tactics are the coaches job at a semi-professional or amatuer level
Its listed on the Port Melbourne website they have a "Head of high performance." And they would have staff working under them. Therefore they do have a High Performance team.

At semi-professional level the coaches aren't entirely responsible for the fitness. Amateur/local footy maybe but definitley not at the semi-professional VFL level you mentioned.

Especially when you're a stand alone club up against 10-20 full time professional AFL listed players majority of weeks in a season.

Last edited:

Probably a good coach, who knows, but obviously oversaw poor recruiting decisions, very poor player development and couldn’t handle conflicts with players (Lentini) I think Port will be better for his departure. Just my opinion.

Probably a good coach, who knows, but obviously oversaw poor recruiting decisions, very poor player development and couldn’t handle conflicts with players (Lentini) I think Port will be better for his departure. Just my opinion.

Agree with the bulk of what you said, why do you say oversaw poor recruiting decisions? Is it that you believe that he didn't get quality or was it more so that some of the players recruited are injury prone and got hardly a run ? I think very fortunate to be given a 3rd year and i know from chats to Port fans it left a bitter taste in their mouth as it appeared we were ok with mediocrity.

Rickee - did you used to watch the games behind the goals at Port ?

Agree with the bulk of what you said, why do you say oversaw poor recruiting decisions? Is it that you believe that he didn't get quality or was it more so that some of the players recruited are injury prone and got hardly a run ? I think very fortunate to be given a 3rd year and i know from chats to Port fans it left a bitter taste in their mouth as it appeared we were ok with mediocrity.

Rickee - did you used to watch the games behind the goals at Port ?
Oh sorry, i just thought i would give my opinion, wasn't looking for a question and answer forum.
Do you think recruiting was good? Bennel? What do you think?
Individually recruits can kick and mark but to measure success of a recruitment program a coach oversees is to improve yea4 on year.
Even you would agree the club has gone backwards last 2-3 years hence the recruitment program has been abysmal

Last edited:
Oh sorry, i just thought i would give my opinion, wasn't looking for a question and answer forum.
Do you think recruiting was good? Bennel? What do you think?
Only real movement in team performance under coach been at a joint for few years is recruitment and I take a simplistic approach on recruiting without drilling down to individual players etc good recruiting = improved performance whilst bad recruiting = same or declining performance.

Your free to give your opinion and you need not apologise. If all you wanted to do is give a opinion and no follow up post thats fine, you didnt need to answer if you didnt want to. Very sorry for asking for your view.

Bennell was obviously unsuccessful, others were successful and good recruits.

Its listed on the Port Melbourne website they have a "Head of high performance." And they would have staff working under them. Therefore they do have a High Performance team.

At semi-professional level the coaches aren't entirely responsible for the fitness. Amateur/local footy maybe but definitley not at the semi-professional VFL level you mentioned.

Especially when you're a stand alone club up against 10-20 full time professional AFL listed players majority of weeks in a season.
This is correct, there is no VFL team that would survive without a 'high performance team'

Coaches focus on the football

high performance team focuses on the strength and conditioning and the data collection around that as well

Although it's treated as such some times, this isn't a bush league ahaha

This is correct, there is no VFL team that would survive without a 'high performance team'

Coaches focus on the football

high performance team focuses on the strength and conditioning and the data collection around that as well

Although it's treated as such some times, this isn't a bush league ahaha
God help anyone who thinks the stand alones could compete against AFL listed players without a high performance team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sucks so much. Sharks lost Buzza for the year. Replaced him with Townsend only to last a half and now officially ruled out

“But Jacob Townsend’s comeback lasted less than half a game, with his concussion a fortnight ago ruling him out for the rest of the season.”

Surely Port allow Skrobonodevelopment to move on and allow O’Sullivan to coach last few games. Obviously the boys have lost interest in his voice. Start packing for QLD I reckon (that’s if he is going ? ) .just an opinion, no Q & A required!

Last edited:
Surely Port allow Skrobonodevelopment to move on and allow O’Sullivan to coach last few games. Obviously the boys have lost interest in his voice. Start packing for QLD I reckon (that’s if he is going ? ) .just an opinion, no Q & A required!
No point doing it with a couple of games to go. Just let him coach the season out

Today they were very good in the first half but gave away 3 silly goals in the second quarter and let Werribee back in and that was pretty much it

No point doing it with a couple of games to go. Just let him coach the season out

Today they were very good in the first half but gave away 3 silly goals in the second quarter and let Werribee back in and that was pretty much it
No Hooper hurts.
Seriously the coach is trying to say he's resigned because he's moving to QLD , pushed weeks ago. No top 4 , change of coach !

No Hooper hurts.
Seriously the coach is trying to say he's resigned because he's moving to QLD , pushed weeks ago. No top 4 , change of coach !
Not believing anything regarding the timing of the resignation or whats been said when it was decided. Port a club who just have too much pride to admit that losing to Coburg(the winless side of 2023) in those circumstances where they got overran by a steam train in the last quarter after leading all day in poor conditions sealed Skrobalaks fate.

Not believing anything regarding the timing of the resignation or whats been said when it was decided. Port a club who just have too much pride to admit that losing to Coburg(the winless side of 2023) in those circumstances where they got overran by a steam train in the last quarter after leading all day in poor conditions sealed Skrobalaks fate.
Was done 4 to 6 weeks ago

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back