2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

And yeah well done for making it beyond the H&A season Frankston but let's be real, they are just making up the numbers. Haven't beaten a team above them and been smashed most of those times. Gets another crack at a team above them next week but they are only past H&A because they have been doing the job against the poor sides. Just facts
Just facts, there are jealous pig headed Port Supporters like you and there are ones that applaud efforts of other stand alone VFL CLUBS. Like majority of port supporters we wish Werribbee and Williamstown the best in finals and hope Frankston makes it. They have turned their lot around massively regardless of how you see them, so all the best to them

Last edited:
Just facts, there are jealous pig headed Port Supporters like you and there are ones that applaud efforts of other stand alone VFL CLUBS. Like majority of port supporters we wish Werribbee and Williamstown the best in finals and hope Frankston makes it. They have turned their lot around massively regardless of how you see them, so all the best to them
And yeah, basically this. Frankston was at death's door at the end of 2016 and now we're about to finish with one of the best performing seasons we've had in the past 20 years. We know we're not in contention for a flag (and perhaps we never will be) but this is a huge milestone for us and of course we're going to celebrate it.

reappointment , also $250 for last nights function
Was pricey but was worth it. Great night and although 400 turned up i know from speaking to people they could have had more as many chose not to come due to the price.

Re appointment was the boards decision not the admins.

Lets not forget too Port Melbourne cried poor too in 2017...all it was, was just a media beat up for a call to arms to get extra funds to pay players to stack their side and win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets not forget too Port Melbourne cried poor too in 2017...all it was, was just a media beat up for a call to arms to get extra funds to pay players to stack their side and win a flag.

Alot of obvious attempts to bait Port Melbourne supporters- let me give you the satisfaction of being baited by replying that your post is absolute nonsense. Port Melbourne had no trouble paying the maximum of the salary cap for several years leading into the 2017 season without need of extra funds to attract players as you wrongly state.

Have a look at the 2016 financial statement and youll see a loss of approximately 350k - the largest in club history.

Fair enough, but we all get a sore neck looking back.

I want to know where we are against the opposition NOW and I know I go on about ports recruitment blah blah but I yearn for a development coach who could have come in after Ayres to develop new players and transition out or very good players in SOS, Roberts and unfortunate Templeton plus insulate us against big losses but great opportunity in Phillips, Wagner and hate to say it Cameron (ugh we miss him). That’s only 6 players in 4 years which could have been easily achieved with right planning and recruitment. As stated other day 7 recruits giving us less than 7 disposals on Friday night doesn’t cut it.

Last three year development and transition plan just wasted on who we p*ssed off in Lentini, Bowes, Holmes, Gasper, Stakleberg Hanrahan etc etc . just my opinion

As a very astute statistically minded Port mate over a few Sunday sippers at the Station said to me, Port had only 7 players on Friday who have played over 20 games with Port whilst Frankston had 14 players (yep double) over 20 games

However their remaining 9 players who have played less than 20 games were Grey, Campbell-faj ,Gown, Burke, Milne, Reidy, Newnes, Moran but they have played majority of this year and couple of them carved us up on Friday Grey/Milne/campbell-fal

If they keep majority of that list they are building some serious depth which is what we should have done. Let’s hope our new coach takes time in putting games into players and not go for easy wins/fixes recruiting broken down ex AFL players (Bennell, Wilkinson, Smith etc)

Again, just me and my ‘number cruncher’ mates opinion.

Last edited:

I want to know where we are against the opposition NOW and I know I go on about ports recruitment blah blah but I yearn for a development coach who could have come in after Ayres to develop new players and transition out or very good players in SOS, Roberts and unfortunate Templeton plus insulate us against big losses but great opportunity in Phillips, Wagner and hate to say it Cameron (ugh we miss him). That’s only 6 players in 4 years which could have been easily achieved with right planning and recruitment. As stated other day 7 recruits giving us less than 7 disposals on Friday night doesn’t cut it.

Last three year development and transition plan just wasted on who we p*ssed off in Lentini, Bowes, Holmes, Gasper, Stakleberg Hanrahan etc etc . just my opinion

As a very astute statistically minded Port mate over a few Sunday sippers at the Station said to me, Port had only 7 players on Friday who have played over 20 games with Port whilst Frankston had 14 players (yep double) over 20 games

However their remaining 9 players who have played less than 20 games were Grey, Campbell-faj ,Gown, Burke, Milne, Reidy, Newnes, Moran but they have played majority of this year and couple of them carved us up on Friday Grey/Milne/campbell-fal

If they keep majority of that list they are building some serious depth which is what we should have done. Let’s hope our new coach takes time in putting games into players and not go for easy wins/fixes recruiting broken down ex AFL players (Bennell, Wilkinson, Smith etc)

Listed a few sooks there tbh of the ones you listed as p*ssed off from what went around about them. Bowes a good example, sooked it when not getting a game.. went to Coburg this year, couldn't get a game again and ran off from them too lol

I mentioned this regarding the list depth earlier

I dont think you are giving Dolphins enough credit for the astute recruiting they have done.

Tom Murphy - Too good for local footy (played with Somerville Eagles in the strong MPNFL) and was attracted back to VFL
Jackson Voss - A good VFL player who was probably yearning for more responsibility at a stand alone club (local club Pines)
Tyson Milne - See above. A player who needed that great expectation on him to perform. Local enough to the area (Beaumaris)
Matt Johnson came across from Casey as another seeking greater opportunities.
Tap Campbell- Farah had offers to go to multiple clubs but ultimately decided to stay local to his boyhood club (Rye)
George Grey and Matt Johnson were both aligned to Casey but came across for greater opportunities and responsibilities. No body could have predicted the rise and impact both have had for the club.
Ready and Grant are both criminally under appreciated in VFL circles. For VFL big men they compete and that is all you can ask. (Ready Beaumaris Jnr, Grant (Mornington but did play juniors in VAFA)
Jack NEwnes moves to the area and was an astounding get as a strong influence to the group.
Ryan Quirk (Noble Park) wanted his opportunity.

One could argue the only two BIG signings were Trent Mynott and Noah Gown as both out of area and non local products. Mynott as a Bombers supporter was cut prematurely and would be well deserving of another shot at AFL football imho.

The list goes on, if anything, you could say last years list was far far superior in terms of top end talent (Will Fordham, Riley Stoddart, Will Walker, Kai Owen’s) was as good as any VFL talent that maybe, just maybe, it came down to coaching because this group is humming.

I dont think you are giving Dolphins enough credit for the astute recruiting they have done.

Tom Murphy - Too good for local footy (played with Somerville Eagles in the strong MPNFL) and was attracted back to VFL
Jackson Voss - A good VFL player who was probably yearning for more responsibility at a stand alone club (local club Pines)
Tyson Milne - See above. A player who needed that great expectation on him to perform. Local enough to the area (Beaumaris)
Matt Johnson came across from Casey as another seeking greater opportunities.
Tap Campbell- Farah had offers to go to multiple clubs but ultimately decided to stay local to his boyhood club (Rye)
George Grey and Matt Johnson were both aligned to Casey but came across for greater opportunities and responsibilities. No body could have predicted the rise and impact both have had for the club.
Ready and Grant are both criminally under appreciated in VFL circles. For VFL big men they compete and that is all you can ask. (Ready Beaumaris Jnr, Grant (Mornington but did play juniors in VAFA)
Jack NEwnes moves to the area and was an astounding get as a strong influence to the group.
Ryan Quirk (Noble Park) wanted his opportunity.

One could argue the only two BIG signings were Trent Mynott and Noah Gown as both out of area and non local products. Mynott as a Bombers supporter was cut prematurely and would be well deserving of another shot at AFL football imho.

The list goes on, if anything, you could say last years list was far far superior in terms of top end talent (Will Fordham, Riley Stoddart, Will Walker, Kai Owen’s) was as good as any VFL talent that maybe, just maybe, it came down to coaching because this group is humming.
It is interesting to see how well this list has done in terms of wins even though we lost quite a few of last year's important players such as Fordham, Owens, Stoddart, Lambert, Rendell. Despite the amount of talent coming through the club from 2021-23, that talent never translated into a finals appearance. Yet a Frankston team with arguably less star player has outdone it's predecessors.

I know som people will point to the modified draw and say that's the only reason we've gotten this far, but given that Coburg and Port have proven they can be competitive on the right day I don't think it's been as much of an advantage as one might think. If we'd played Carlton, Essendon, and North Melbourne instead of extra games against other standalones, I still think we'd have done well.

Also love the irony of Williamstown poaching two important players from us in Fordham and Stoddart only to be ahead of us on the smallest of percentages.

It is interesting to see how well this list has done in terms of wins even though we lost quite a few of last year's important players such as Fordham, Owens, Stoddart, Lambert, Rendell. Despite the amount of talent coming through the club from 2021-23, that talent never translated into a finals appearance. Yet a Frankston team with arguably less star player has outdone it's predecessors.

I know som people will point to the modified draw and say that's the only reason we've gotten this far, but given that Coburg and Port have proven they can be competitive on the right day I don't think it's been as much of an advantage as one might think. If we'd played Carlton, Essendon, and North Melbourne instead of extra games against other standalones, I still think we'd have done well.

Also love the irony of Williamstown poaching two important players from us in Fordham and Stoddart only to be ahead of us on the smallest of percentages.
As an Essendon supporter, I will respect the equity of the draw. Frankston have taken care of teams usually they struggle with (see Port Melbourne x 2).

You are certainly right in regards to the star power. I think they bat deeper now despite losing the stars in Fordham, Stoddart, Owens

Apparently Tassie are a number of games in the VFL next season without actually being in the competition.

I hope they handle it better than they handled GWS/Sydney and their couple of games in the VFLW this season.
They are going to play teams that are on a bye and want a game

E.g. If Carlton have a bye, but want their AFL/VFL Guys to keep playing they might have a game scheduled against Tassie. Won't be for points, will essentially be a Practice Match unlike GWS and Sydney in the VFLW who played for points.

E.g. If Carlton have a bye, but want their AFL/VFL Guys to keep playing they might have a game scheduled against Tassie. Won't be for points, will essentially be a Practice Match unlike GWS and Sydney in the VFLW who played for points.
awesome, would have hoped it was going to be like that. I wonder if tassie will be expected to fly or the VFL club be expected to fly

It will be better than the AFL reserves sides who have the bye in the same round playing 'match sim' against each other

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back