Toast 2025 logo

Remove this Banner Ad

We weren’t the Bulldogs 100 years ago, but we’re not long after. We were still the Tri-colours in 1925 I think.
More so with Fitzroy, they won 8 premierships, but none as the Lions (7 as the Maroons and 1 as the Gorillas).
The emphasis on the mascot as opposed to the real name has grown over the years.
I did not know that. That's interesting, thank you.

As a former graphic design and marketing guru type.

I find it odd that the new logo uses neither its historic or modern corporate names.

So I picked a lane for them and fixed it.

They're welcome.

View attachment 2130087

As a statistician, I'd have replaced the Bulldog logo with a picture of a Gaussian distribution, and replaced the text with the algebraic expression of Bayes Theorem.

We weren’t the Bulldogs 100 years ago, but we’re not long after. We were still the Tri-colours in 1925 I think.
More so with Fitzroy, they won 8 premierships, but none as the Lions (7 as the Maroons and 1 as the Gorillas).
The emphasis on the mascot as opposed to the real name has grown over the years.
Do you know if we ever were “ The Saltwater Boys? Or is that a seperate football club that was in the area but never involved in the history of our club?

Do you know if we ever were “ The Saltwater Boys? Or is that a seperate football club that was in the area but never involved in the history of our club?
IMG_3616.jpeg
IMG_3619.jpeg IMG_3621.jpeg
This is a wonderful book for our history if you can get your hands on one. I can’t find the Saltwater lads as a nickname yet. There is a part where we get our colours from the rowing club on the saltwater river. The rowing club won the championship but then the organisation changed the rules that manual workers can’t compete due to unfair advantage! You can imagine how this went down? Anyway there are some snippets on why we were the imperials for a while. Many local clubs still have this name today.

View attachment 2130865
View attachment 2130866View attachment 2130867
This is a wonderful book for our history if you can get your hands on one. I can’t find the Saltwater lads as a nickname yet. There is a part where we get our colours from the rowing club on the saltwater river. The rowing club won the championship but then the organisation changed the rules that manual workers can’t compete due to unfair advantage! You can imagine how this went down? Anyway there are some snippets on why we were the imperials for a while. Many local clubs still have this name today.
It is an excellent book.

A truism since the VJFA, VFA and VFL days we were always Footscray.

We actually didn't play in Footscray which I have always found bizarre in the argument of the name change,.we played and are still based in West Footscray.

The suburban names always related to where the club was formed, not where their home ground was.

Throughout the VFA days and early VFL days we were known as the tricolour's.

So it is correct we were not the Bulldogs in 1925.

Most teams had not adopted their current monikers by then.

We won 9 flags in the VFA, we should celebrate all successes

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2130865
Given our affinity to France, as evidenced by the above, surely we should be have gone with Brisbane's song tune.

View attachment 2130865
Thanks for that Freshwater, much appreciated. So 1877 is the start of our history. I will try and hunt down a copy of Unleashed it looks a great read

One other thing I have learned today ( or is it “learnt”?) is that the clubs colours of red, white and blue were not adopted because of the association with the Prince Imperial. The clubs original colours were blue and white with a red cap added later, with the blue and white strip predating the adoption of the Prince Imperial name. Is that correct.

One other thing I have learned today ( or is it “learnt”?) is that the clubs colours of red, white and blue were not adopted because of the association with the Prince Imperial. The clubs original colours were blue and white with a red cap added later, with the blue and white strip predating the adoption of the Prince Imperial name. Is that correct.
footyjumpers.com is an absolutely wonderful website made by a fella on BigFooty here called Mero. He’s an Essendon fan but we’ll forgive him.
When you’ve got some time today look it up. It has every uniform ever worn by every club, even the VFA days. It is a real labour of love. The AFL and clubs use it as a reference and people here in big footy help prompt him to keep refining it eg the hoops slightly lower or the royal blue gets slightly darker or lighter. Very nerdy but a bit of fun for those interested in history. He has all club official logos too. He also now has some great podcasts too.
Interesting in the podcasts was his opinion that Footscray has had the best jumper in VFL/AFL history, our traditional hoops long sleeve version with the hoops on the arms. He reckons this is the greatest Aussie Rules jumper ever. He also reckons we’ve had the worst in the history of Australian football, the infamous Thor jumper!
You can usually find him on the footy jumpers pages on BigFooty.

I think that same situation exists with Sydney and Brisbane when celebrating their history. It's only a little bit awkward but I don't have an issue with the club using the one thing both Footscray and the Western Bulldogs have in common, and that's the Bulldogs.

I assume (always a dangerous thing) that Fitzroy and Sydney would use the Bear/Lion and Swan respectively when celebrating their entire histories.
Indeed it is.

Brisbanes centenary was 40+ years ago. During Fitzroy's last vestiges when the marketing opportunities of these things were less well understood. So there isn't anything to compare it to. I'd bet anything that when they do celebrate their 150th year in 2033 that Brisbane will be a part of a revamped logo.

However, Sydney are currently celebrating their 150th year and all of their revamped branding including a new logo has Sydney prominently displayed on it.

Having said that. Im not arguing that any of the clubs that have a complicated history ignores what came before. And after seeing many of my Fitzroy/Brisbane supporting friends lose their minds last weekend, it would be folly if they did. Im just pointing out the inconveniences of having duel identities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's rebrand the whole club. Free baguettes in the social club room. And let's be honest, Le Bon is so much classier than 'The Bont'.

Bon, Simon Le Bon 😉

It is an excellent book.

A truism since the VJFA, VFA and VFL days we were always Footscray.

We actually didn't play in Footscray which I have always found bizarre in the argument of the name change,.we played and are still based in West Footscray.

The suburban names always related to where the club was formed, not where their home ground was.

Throughout the VFA days and early VFL days we were known as the tricolour's.

So it is correct we were not the Bulldogs in 1925.

Most teams had not adopted their current monikers by then.

We won 9 flags in the VFA, we should celebrate all successes

Although "Tricolours" was still the most common nickname for us when joining the V/AFL, the seeds of "The Bulldogs" as a nickname were sown in 1920 and was starting to be used albeit sporadically from around 1921.

Johnny Craddock led us to back-to-back premierships in 1919-20 with the legend being that his efforts during the 1920 season inspired the team to the premiership with his "Bulldog tenacity". At the end of the season, Craddock was awarded a red, white and blue flag with "Bulldog tenacity" in gold type and a drawing of a Bulldog.

In terms of real-world examples here is the Williamstown Advertiser calling us "The Bull-Dogs" ahead of our R10 1921 match against Williamstown.

WI19210721.png

Although "Tricolours" was still the most common nickname for us when joining the V/AFL, the seeds of "The Bulldogs" as a nickname were sown in 1920 and was starting to be used albeit sporadically from around 1921.

Johnny Craddock led us to back-to-back premierships in 1919-20 with the legend being that his efforts during the 1920 season inspired the team to the premiership with his "Bulldog tenacity". At the end of the season, Craddock was awarded a red, white and blue flag with "Bulldog tenacity" in gold type and a drawing of a Bulldog.

In terms of real-world examples here is the Williamstown Advertiser calling us "The Bull-Dogs" ahead of our R10 1921 match against Williamstown.

View attachment 2131128
Seems like Williamstown were too focused on their social events that week, including the "big picture night at the local theatre" and the "dance and euchre party at the Temperance hall" after the game because they lost that game by 30 points to Footscray!

Seems like Williamstown were too focused on their social events that week, including the "big picture night at the local theatre" and the "dance and euchre party at the Temperance hall" after the game because they lost that game by 30 points to Footscray!

They got us back in the final and grand final though beating us by 3 points and 3 goals respectively. Can't complain though we made 6 consecutive VFA grand finals from 1919-1924 and won 4.

The 1921 season was a strange one as our final against Williamstown was abandoned in the third quarter due to a hailstorm and was replayed the following week, forcing the grand final to be played at Brunswick St as the usual grand final ground (East Melbourne) was unavailable.

Last edited:
They got us back in the final and grand final though beating us by 3 points and 3 goals respectively. Can't complain though we made 6 consecutive VFA grand finals from 1919-1924 and won 4.

The 1921 season was a strange one as our final against Williamstown was abandoned in the third quarter due to a hailstorm and was replayed the following week, forcing the grand final to be played at Brunswick St as the usual grand final ground (East Melbourne) was unavailable.
The ground had been sold to the railways, not sure why they could not play it there

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2025 logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back