Strategy 2026-27 draft class and initial intake of Tassie players (2025-27)

Remove this Banner Ad

Names i have for 2027 Draft from Tassie.

Wesley RedmanBurnie NWFL
Jacobi MooreBurnie NWFL
Monty Manion Devonport NWFL
Tom Wilkinson Devonport NWFL
Will Potter Devonport NWFL
Hamilton JacksonPenguin NWFL
Hudson GuardPenguin NWFL
Hunter NorrisPenguin NWFL
James RadcliffPenguin NWFL
Jordan GloverPenguin NWFL
Jobe PringleWynyard NWFL
James BuistWynyard NWFL
Harry ConkieUlverstone NWFL
Lucas HeazlewoodUlverstone NWFL
Blake SmithBrighton STJFL
Benjamin RussellLindisfarne STJFL
Blake JamesLindisfarne STJFL
Max GulliverClaremont STJFL
Sebastian FarrowClaremont STJFL
Jake BeamsClaremont STJFL
Xavier VinceKingborough STJFL
Ayden BaileyNew Norfolk STJFL
Louis StirlingLauderdale STJFL
Oliver HolmesLaunceston NTJFA
Jess BulaLaunceston NTJFA
Tyler PraciakLaunceston NTJFA
Lincoln WoolcockLaunceston NTJFA
Benjamin WheelerLaunceston NTJFA
Harrison MillwoodLaunceston NTJFA
Xavier MurfetProspect NTJFA
Samuel HusbandProspect NTJFA
Jack MorrisonSouth Launceston NTJFA
William FrenchSouth Launceston NTJFA
Cameron NicholasNorth Launceston NTJFA
Jett PattersonNorth Launceston NTJFA
Andy HeazlewoodScottsdale NTJFA

Who is on your wish list in the trade for our first year?
Mine are...

Tom Green
Harrison Jones
Ned Moyle
Noah Anderson
Thomas Berry....probably won't leave GC
Sam Flanders
Sam Clohesy
Blake Drury
Tom Powell
Will Phillips
Nick Larkey
Ryley Sanders
Jordan Croft
Harley Reid
Miles Bergman
Nick Martin
Colby McKercher
Darcy Wilson
Harry Sheezel

If we can get a few of these guys, especially key targets, we might have a great start.

Seth Campbell developing very nicely at Richmond. Hopefully Benny Gale can bring him home to Tassie

It would be a tough ask but if devils get earlier drafts and are allowed to play in the VFL I reckon that would be better than a hard launch into AFL in 2028. It also spreads out draft concessions rather than giving them the first 8 in one year.

It would be a tough ask but if devils get earlier drafts and are allowed to play in the VFL I reckon that would be better than a hard launch into AFL in 2028. It also spreads out draft concessions rather than giving them the first 8 in one year.
I think just have an expansion draft.
Tasmania should get about 8 picks in 2027 draft, say 1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36
then 2028 1,10,20,30,40.

They need to not be playing 10 to 12 first year players like GWS did. If they are playing about 3 or 4, that is still plenty.
Picks 26 31,36 probably don't play much until 2029.

then 2028 1,10,20,30,40.

They need to not be playing 10 to 12 first year players like GWS did. If they are playing about 3 or 4, that is still plenty.

Would you cut that to 3 in 2029 then 2 in 2030 then fall in line with the rest?

Would you cut that to 3 in 2029 then 2 in 2030 then fall in line with the rest?
I don't know exactly, but like the idea of 2 years of guaranteed picks, to avoid the temptation thst GWS did of playing too many kids, knowing they help you get better picks from finishing down the ladder.
GWS had lots of picks go to waste, so I think they should try to prevent that.

then 2028 1,10,20,30,40.

They should have just had an expansion draft for Tasmania and left the National Draft completely untouched aside from exclusive access to Tasmania.

Clearly that isn't going to happen though.

They should have just had an expansion draft for Tasmania and left the National Draft completely untouched aside from exclusive access to Tasmania.

Clearly that isn't going to happen though.
I think they need some high picks, it isn't hard to give them some without compromising the 2027 draft and others.
I guess with governments paying for stadiums the Tassie team would winge greatly at being given less than GWS and Gold Coast.
But Gold Coast got less than GWS.
Expansion draft would work quite well, maybe if enough people call in during trade week it could gain momentum, surely the existing clubs would prefer an expansion draft.

I think they need some high picks, it isn't hard to give them some without compromising the 2027 draft and others.
I guess with governments paying for stadiums the Tassie team would winge greatly at being given less than GWS and Gold Coast.
But Gold Coast got less than GWS.
Expansion draft would work quite well, maybe if enough people call in during trade week it could gain momentum, surely the existing clubs would prefer an expansion draft.
They would have needed to be planning it from almost the moment the team was confirmed as it would take a while to negotiate with the AFLPA for starters. Plus it would take a while to work out how an expansion draft would actually work.

So I think it's safe to say that they are going to do a similar version of what they did with GWS/GC, maybe with the extra part of forcing them to trade some of their concessions.

But the outcome will be the same. Massively compromised National Draft for years + Tasmania still not being any good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2026-27 draft class and initial intake of Tassie players (2025-27)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back