Under Age 2026 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of guns out there yesterday
Best for vic country codi walker was the difference in end going places the kid no doubt

Max downes vic metro number 10 smooth mid was clearance king great skills and greater user of ball another close watcher on him

Loved the rucks to van Hattum number 27 like a young version of dean cox and vic country kid with locks very agile Aka luke Jackson
RedmanWasHere I'm so confused. I'm not sure who's dad or mum is posting this.

Edit: regardless, welcome to BigFooty scouter number 1.

Really liked the look of #20 for Metro. Gayfer I believe his name was. Massive leap and seemed to have some good skills and agility when the ball hit the ground.

explain belted? tough conditions down there and looked like they had won the second half. also just a practice match

One team scored lots, the other team didn't score much.

PRetty sure there was plenty on the line, the winner plays D1 at the champs and the loser goes back to D2.

When you leave kids like Tom Levi out of your squad, you deserve what you get.

Last edited:
U//16s Vic Ctry v Metro. Country win by 22.

Thrilled to see Cody Walker dominate (and the reason I was watching). Really liked Mitch Toner and Jackson Phillips games too. For Metro, Gayfer up forward looks promising - is he Mick's son? If so, another score for the Pies in the F/S stakes.
I am assuming he’s not because we’d be all over it on our board if he was haha.

there was nothing on the line, it was a practice match and you dont know what happened behind the scenes for him not to be picked. same scoring shots just one team knew how to kick goals in the wet

please enlighten us.

While you're there, fill us in on the Thompson omission as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see that my scout notes were spot on in rookie me article Redman
Apology is accepted Redman and spot on with votes also and in addition poster boys on clip video of the clear 2 best players in match vic country number 8 Cody walker and vic metro number 10 max downs !
Also the notes on a few other extended players I provided!!
All there never doubt scouter number 1 please moving forward
Perhaps I write that rookie me article ? Maybe I don’t haha
But please pay this one to me credit where it’s due surely I am on the money

Last edited:
Interesting to see that my scout notes were spot on in rookie me article Redman
Apology is accepted Redman and spot on with votes also and in addition poster boys on clip video of the clear 2 best players in match vic country number 8 Cody walker and vic metro number 10 max downs !
Also the notes on a few other extended players I provided!!
All there never doubt scouter number 1 please moving forward
Perhaps I write that rookie me article ? Maybe I don’t haha
But please pay this one to me credit where it’s due surely I am on the money
IMG_1443.gif

Just a thought.

If Tassie were to follow the SUNS and GIANTS' leads, you'd give the Devils about the first 10 picks of this crop's rookie list.

The SUNS entered the rookie draft in 2009 while the GIANTS did likewise in 2010.

Just a thought.

If Tassie were to follow the SUNS and GIANTS' leads, you'd give the Devils about the first 10 picks of this crop's rookie list.

The SUNS entered the rookie draft in 2009 while the GIANTS did likewise in 2010.
Yep on the money Redman - a lot of this crop guns better climatize to cold weather cause they will be headed to Tassie haha
Still waiting on my acknowledgment to Redman of summary of recent vic v vic match haha

ROOS, PORT TO MISS FATHER-SON TALENT
NORTH Melbourne and Port Adelaide will miss out on father-son access to exciting teenage talent Dougie Cochrane who will spearhead South Australia's under-16s campaign starting this week.

Clubs have an eye on the under-16s championships, which began earlier this month, and a number of potential father-sons are among the squads, with some others having fatherly ties to the top level without being eligible to clubs.

Cochrane, an athletic tall who can play just about anywhere on the field and has terrific skills, is the son of former Kangaroos and Power midfielder Stuart and is eligible for the draft in 2026.

Stuart Cochrane played 50 games with North Melbourne and 54 with Port Adelaide in his career, falling short of the 100 games required at either single club to meet father-son qualification.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

It shapes as another 'near miss' case similar to Noah Anderson, who went No.2 in the open draft in 2019 after his dad played 83 games with the Hawks and 67 with St Kilda.

There is a handful of players in the under-16s pool who do qualify, though, with Vic Country's Cody Walker tied to Carlton as a father-son where his dad Andrew played, while Cooper Hodge, the son of Hawthorn and Brisbane great Luke, will play for the Lions Academy under-16s side.

Hodge starred at under-15s level last year and will have the choice of joining the Hawks as a father-son or remaining with Brisbane as an Academy player in his draft year should his progress continue.

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games.

However, in a quirk for the current Giants coach and football manager, both sons will line up for crosstown rivals Sydney's under-16s side as members of the Swans Academy.

Also playing for the Swans in the under-16 carnival as an over-ager after having last season hit by injury will be James O'Loughlin, the son of Sydney champion Michael. He is eligible for the draft in 2025.

South Australia has Jack Leys, the son of 110-game Richmond player Brian, on its under-16s list.

Other players with fatherly links to the AFL who are not eligible to join their dad's clubs and who have been named in the under-16 squads include Western Australia's Koby LeCras (the son of ex-Roo Brent and nephew of former Eagle Mark) and South Australian Gabriel Patterson (son of former Magpie Stephen).

South Australia and Western Australia will play their first game of the under-16s carnival on Saturday in Adelaide, with the championships concluding in July on the Gold Coast. – Callum Twomey

Sorry Barrybran, I had to tag one of you. Picked you after your Sydney quip.
Clubs have an eye on the under-16s championships, which began earlier this month, and a number of potential father-sons are among the squads, ...

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games. Both are currently in the Sydney Swans U16 academy team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back