Under Age 2026 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

SA often dominate Under 16's and then for some reason drop away at Under 18's. Happens quite a bit these days. Having said that, Dougie Cochrane is a pretty special talent, can just about play anywhere. Lot of Will Day about him.

Van Dyk and Edwards the ever consistent mids, both having huge years for South and good to see them perform on the higher stage as well. Webb also for North.

Number 5 for Vic C is an unstoppable force. A bit unsavoury by that Vic C defender sticking a leg out to trip, if not injure Lachlan McGlade in the last minute of the quarter but would expect nothing less from the Vics.

From a WA view - Lucas Robinson (SF/23), Leo Steed (SD/7), Kye Ormerod (EF/35), Lachlan McGlade (EP/2), Cooper Ramsay+ (EF/32), Jayden Clarke (P/1), Thatcher Simmons (S/18), Garrison Kenh (EP/12), Damien Newry (CL/28) and Axel Walsh** (EP/39) have stood up well.
I thought Tanner Armstrong (no 2) played well on Newry.

I thought Tanner Armstrong (no 2) played well on Newry.
Yeah Newry was shut down after half time....so Armstrong did a wonderful job as you say because from the little I've seen (these players are new to me) Newry is pretty dangerous.

I'm just watching the replay again.....yeah Armstrong is a very solid defender. Those best players were up to half-time. Watching again, Newry was exciting in glimses but well beaten on the day.

Yeah Newry was shut down after half time....so Armstrong did a wonderful job as you say because from the little I've seen (these players are new to me) Newry is pretty dangerous.
The ball lived down that end in the 2nd half, Armstrong seems to win most one to ones and provide good drive out of the backline. Kept an eye on him because he is Richmond NGA.

Lachlan McGlade looks a gun, very silky skills.

The ball lived down that end in the 2nd half, Armstrong seems to win most one to ones and provide good drive out of the backline. Kept an eye on him because he is Richmond NGA.

Lachlan McGlade looks a gun, very silky skills.
Perhaps mercurial small forwards will be the last of the 170-177cm players we see in the AFL. If so, the small defenders are still well and truly needed to match up on them.

Yeah McGlade looks exciting. Although it seems to me that the WA squad isn't jam packed with it's usual x-factor. Lot's of tall/tall-ish raw skinny fellas who will find compactness, co-ordination and confidence though - so not a bad thing. And some livewire talents just missed out on the squad and are there or thereabouts to emerge next season.

Next year I will get team lists of the interstate teams so I can truly understand what I'm watching and who I'm watching. I'd love to do a national board at some stage but it would need to be in conjunction with three other people to cover the local competitions.

Watching the Tasmania v Sydney 16's match now. I think the Allies will form a pretty good 2026 18's squad by the looks. A lot to work with if they select right. And I guess they can add more players later as they develop.

Watching the Tasmania v Sydney 16's match now. I think the Allies will form a pretty good 2026 18's squad by the looks. A lot to work with if they select right. And I guess they can add more players later as they develop.
Where can you watch?

NT v Gold Coast 16's......as I said, plenty to work with.

I come from a smaller state and I understand that you have to dig a little deeper to find the gold but it's there if you look hard enough.

6 teams to form an allies early squad of 30....that's only 5 players per team.....so easy....love the Indigenous fellas and hope a few from NT do ok.

Very early start today for Vic Metro v WA in the 16's.

If I'm not mistaken Thatcher Simmons badly injured a knee in the previous match. So that's a terrible blow for WA and for him personally as he is one of the star players. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and we see him back in action in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA’s best footy seems to be the best. They play to win and move the ball better than both the vic sides.

Their small forwards are super lively.

23 (Not sure his name) and Cochrane for SA fantastic most of the day. Have some seriously good traits.

Prasad for VIC Country awesome too as a small forward. Crumbing and finishing was exceptional.

But HOLLLYYYY shite Cody Walker in the 4th quarter. Must have had about 15-20 touches in the last quarter alone to get Country over the line. Wasn't bad at half back in the first half but on ball to finish the game he was ridiculous.

Under Age 2026 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back