Retired #22: Mal Michael

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 22. Mal Michael

i thought he played really well against the crows

he looks really fit

Mal Michael sells a dummy handball while playing against his old club.

Mal Michael dives to take a mark deep in defence.​

Fans look forward to Michael's 2008 season

Saturday, 22 December 2007
Mal Michael certainly impressed fans in his first season in the red and black while providing Dustin Fletcher the opportunity to move down the ground.

The Bomber faithful are looking forward to seeing how he stacks up against the competition in 2008 with a full pre-season under his belt.

Games - 22
Goals - 2
Kicks - 111
Marks - 82
Handballs – 142
2007 Fan’s ranking: 6.18 / 10

What some of the Essendon fans had to say:

A great addition to the backline. He shows leadership and consistency and is always there to rev up and encourage the younger players. I think he has been very underrated by many fans this year. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again next year. (Nicole Watson)

A solid year from Mal. His presence released Fletcher which was a great benefit to the team. 2008 should be an even better year as he increases his understanding of the players and team around him. (Rod Ansell)

A consistent well-seasoned performer who's inclusion freed up Fletch to play a more damaging role. (Carl Farriciello)

He was a valuable asset down back. I hope he stays on and uses some of his leadership skills to encourage the younger players. (Jeff Tapper)

One of the better recruiting coups the club has pulled off. I think he will be better again next year. (Greg Kemp)

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5542

He's only 30 and I would expect him to play another 2-3 years if his body and mind holds up...... which I think it will.

There's a lot of people saying this could be his last year but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go on.

Still a quality full back and is perfect for the gorilla forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pre-season looks to have done him a world of good. He looked a lot more mobile and fitter than he did at this stage last year.

I don't see why he can't go on after this season. It would be disappointing if he was to not continue on next year.

he saved our asses a number of times. i'm looking forward to a backline with mal, fletch, paddy, nashy, DC and welsh

mal played well throughout the nab cup and with his added fitness he will be an important member of our side

I don't think big Mal will have a good season, I'm not a big fan of him but apparently he has gotten fitter over the off-season so that might see me change my mind on him, depending on how he plays on Monday.

Played a great game on Saturday night. Yes, Fev kicked 8.4 on him but Michael had 12 spoils. If anyone watched the game they would've noticed half the time the ball came to Fev it was knocked away by Michael. The spoil count is the most underrated stat in the game and it clearly shows you who the good defenders are and who the bad defenders are.

Still an elite Defender of the competition and will go a long way to securing an Essendon finals berth in the next 1-3 years.

wouldn't call it a great game. carlton do go through fevola 75% of the time but if your opponent kicks 8 goals he has beaten you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back