Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to the game when buckets takes a very nice intercept mark, goes back, looks around (hopelessly) then floats an ugly kick across goal, to be gobbled up by the opposition who score a goal.

The melts from the *essendon scum will be priceless.

And KC King Corey , if I say it, it is the truth.

We have near zero KPD's and still ****ed him off. Let that sink in.

If I threadbanned you from this thread do you think you might finally experience a catharsis old friend?

If I threadbanned you from this thread do you think you might finally experience a catharsis old friend?

Googles " catharis"....

Answer is no:p

Too many dickheads on here rated him, and they tend to be dickheads in general.

Some even have tough sleeve tattoos with their fat guts hanging out the front, FMD

Vomit inducing stuff.
family guy vomit GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No hard feelings from me, other than being a bit peeved it looked like he checked out.

Has his strengths, and they can certainly be used well if a gameplan catered to him, but too many weaknesses.

Will have some great moments and even games for Essendon, I'm sure, but he'll also become a whipping boy too once they remember they're paying him 800k for half a decade.

If you think about Moneyball and its application to the AFL, the basic concept is working out what traits are overvalued and undervalued.

In baseball, RBIs was perhaps the poster child for an overvalued statistic. RBIs stands for runs batted in; if you get a first base hit and the guy on third makes it home, then you get an RBI. It was a major statistic for baseball and even inspired a series of classic video games titled RBI baseball. That was until some computer nerd raised the point that it's basically just luck if another batter scores a run on your hit, and that we should only evaluate players on if they, to quote the movie, get on base,

Anyway, my point is that I'm really not sure how valuable intercept marking is. It's a visually impressive play, but is the expected value on an intercept mark any greater than the classic spoil, or impacting the contest enough to prevent an opposition mark?

Maybe the Darcy Moore or Jeremy McGovern type of intercept mark where they quickly launch their own counter-attack is incredibly valuable, but I really don't know in McKay's case if marking the ball and then taking a minute to decide what to do with it helps us out all that much.

You look at McKay and he is an average disposal at best, he doesn't find a lot of the ball, he isn't a great stopper in the traditional sense, and allegedly he fails to follow team instructions. Essentially this means Essendon are valuing him mostly for his intercept marking, which to me I think represents a major misunderstanding of what is and isn't valuable on a football field. If McKay chose to spoil instead of mark the ball, he would probably lose a million dollars off that deal he just signed, but at the end of the day the team result is likely the same.

It's a thought I had that I thought was interesting enough, and I wanted McKay out the door before I shared it.

You look at McKay and he is an average disposal at best, he doesn't find a lot of the ball, he isn't a great stopper in the traditional sense, and allegedly he fails to follow team instructions. Essentially this means Essendon are valuing him mostly for his intercept marking, which to me I think represents a major misunderstanding of what is and isn't valuable on a football field. If McKay chose to spoil instead of mark the ball, he would probably lose a million dollars off that deal he just signed, but at the end of the day the team result is likely the same.
Sounds like Brad Scott to me

Posted a thank you to North on Instagram 20 minutes ago. Not one word misspelled. PR manager must be working overtime
Did laugh at his post
Comments turned off

Only 1 photo

Most other players post pics of their close mates

I think magoos only mate was his housemate laz

No doubt Scotts will be able to advise him on his future property portfolio. Past champion KPB’s (who were miles better than him) must be agog at the figures being bandied about for players like McKays nowadays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back