Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

There were some raised eyebrows at his inclusion in our leadership group this year, but there was a time, about 2012/2013 when he had started to find a groove in the middle of the ground that he was in the conversation as a potential captain post-Jobe (albeit an outside chance of the appointment).

According to none other than Doc Read, Myers was the most impressive of the players during the supplements saga (at least at the height of the chaos in 2013). He was a cool head and sounding board for a lot of the players, or so I understand, a representative for and voice of a large section of the list.

He has been a highly respected person at the club.

Unfortunately, injury never really allowed him to fulfill his potential. No, I don't think he would ever have surpassed Cyril or Danger but I think he was always a 200 game inside mid come half back we could all have been proud to call our own.

The defensively disciplined brute bashing the likes of Ziebell and Matt Priddis in 2013 and 2014 is the player I will remember.

Last edited:

Another one of those injury ravaged what ifs, by all reports he’s the consummate professional so I’m not sure he could have got any more out of himself, it’s just one of those things.

Had the opportunity to be pretty special, the combination of big, bullocking inside mid that’s willing to play a team first game that is also a genuine super boot with 70 metre penetration in his leg is not a collection of attributes I can recall anywhere else around the AFL in my time watching footy.

I remember near the end of 2010, when our season fell to shit and all our best players (including Jobe) were sidelined, Myers came into the team and dominated in the middle against the Bulldogs. He had the potential to become a very good player, but injuries never gave him a chance to achieve his full potential.

Was always a team-first player who would do whatever asked of him. I hope he sticks around the club in 2020 and beyond! :thumbsu:

Despite the protestations of some, Myer was a decent standard AFL player, who wasnt helped with injuries in his developing years - It's fair to say he never lived up to his draft ranking of number six, while at the same time I doubt he was ever on big dollars - And he is retiring while still contracted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well its no secret how much I love this guy . So happy for him that he has been able to finish off the year in the finals albeit in the vfl. Even nicer to read so many positives about him by people on here. Hopefully both Essendon sides can give the finals a good shake. Enjoy the last part of the ride David.

Essentially not playing for 2016-17 proved to be just too disruptive for him to continue being the player we knew he could be for us. Such a shame, because he was starting to get a real handle on the competition as that big inside bull prior to that.

I think I can recall Stk coming at him pretty hard during the saga, but he never entertained leaving for a sec.

Awesome clubman & the sort of stock we need more of to perpertuate good standards & culture.

All the best Myersy!

Cheers Dave, as others have stated, if not for injuries we never got to see your full calling but you still gave everything your body allowed you to.

Stay around and play VFL as I think you have a lot to teach the next batch.

Has signed with Northcote Park in the NFL for 2019, according to the Herald Sun.

One part of the article that gave me a laugh was that the coach said they’d probably play him in the forward line as their midfield was too stacked - hey coach, who are these midfielders and where do we sign up to draft them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back