Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 23. David Myers

Loving his centre clearance work. When he wins a clearance the ball in always put deep inside forward 50 opposed to Lonergan who usually manages a 20-30 metre scruffy kick.

fOjlM.jpg

Expert Ms paint job.

Liked his work in the middle vs sydney. Do worry about his footy brain a little bit though, especially if he plays extended periods through the midfield.

Yeppers/Yeesh.

Re: #23: David Myers - Myers in the Middle

For a couple years now I've been hoping he'd get pushed into the middle. With a full complement of talls down back I don't see why he can't.

One of the more frustrating things I've seen Essendon do in the last couple of years is seemingly try and enter the forward 50 at 45-50 metres from goal. Without absolute precision we have turned the ball over there.

The danger Myers presents with the capacity to quickly and accurately pass from the square deep into the attacking zone is clear, forcing the defense to play deeper. Gives us a whole new approach I think.

Particularly if we can keep a nice mobile mix of Hurley, Crameri, Ryder, Gumby, Carlisle and co deep in attack. With opposition forced to play deeper that opens up leading space.....

I honestly hope he becomes a one of the 6-8 core midfielders we use.

The danger Myers presents with the capacity to quickly and accurately pass from the square deep into the attacking zone is clear, forcing the defense to play deeper. Gives us a whole new approach I think.

Particularly if we can keep a nice mobile mix of Hurley, Crameri, Ryder, Gumby, Carlisle and co deep in attack. With opposition forced to play deeper that opens up leading space.....
Side issue, can someone tell me at what exact point did "mobile" change from meaning.. uh... mobile... to meaning "the tallest & slowest group we can possibly put out there at one time" ?

I certainly agree with your contention. Our set-up last Friday seemed to have a ruckman stationed at 20-30m out all the time. IMHO Myers can make that a real goer; as long as we get a lot better at dealing with the crumbs.

ie, if they win the clearance, and can find space, go for the more "classically mobile" (ie fast, agile, quick) options on the lead - Monfries, Winders, Crameri; if not, bang it long and give them a 50/50 chance to the "mobile" (tall and slow) option who will have a crumber buzzing around.

Hille/Belly ain't big goalkickers, but if they can bring the ball to ground they will add a lot.

Looking at the team selected for the NAB Cup which will be close to our Round 1 side - With Fletch, Hooker and Pears the tall backs there is every likelihood that Myers will spend time in the midfield.

Would love to see him have an extended crack in the middle. There was a thread at the end of last season about his progression as comparred to Watson who started to blossom around the same time.

I think he could be a bloody good player in there. One of the key things that might hold him up is his one sided nature. Not that he can only kick on his left foot (I actually think he has a right foot). It's more that he has a natural movement which is left... Every time. Compare that to most really good inside mids who are generally very well centered and positioned to go either way at any stage.

Maybe more time in the congestion would help this. Looking at his under 18 footage, it's hard not to be frustrated at how quick and agile he looked compared to now.

Here's hoping.

I think Myers will rotate between defence and midfield most games this season. I think he will play 60% defence and 40% midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I am assuming from from the reviews of the Brisy game that Myers spent most of the game playing outside mid? & did reasonable well?

very frustrated at the amount of time he's spent at the back, he's got a very similar body type to dusty martin, lets hope he can be just as damaging in the middle at some stage soon.

very frustrated at the amount of time he's spent at the back, he's got a very similar body type to dusty martin, lets hope he can be just as damaging in the middle at some stage soon.

I don't think it is too unrealistic. If he gets it together as a midfielder it is what he will look like.

He is a similarly brutish player and, as you point out, shares many characteristics with Martin.

It is all in the head from here, the good thing is that Myers' mind seems to be one of his best assets.

Re: David Myers - Starting 22?

Man, his kick on the weekend, it's awesome to watch, I swear he launches it 60m every time he kicks it, rarely goes the short option. I like it :D
I thought he played quite well.

Edited to reflect my point of view.

Harry Taylor is good in a great team. Dangerfield is majorly overrated to this point. Cyril, well, he's rare as hens teeth, shit happens.

Ward, meh. Grimes is a gun. You can't always get the best available, everyone is an expert in hindsight.

He hit quite a lot of chests on the weekend and put it to the advantage of the ones he didn't mostly I thought.

Well, it is his weapon, why not use it to clear zones? :) love it, hopefully he gets more of it.

Would like to see him use his right foot more but he is coming along well and as i said an age ago he will start looking like an AFL player when he can string some games together.
May not be a super star but looks on track to play 150 games.

Even with the benefit of 4 years of hindsight, there's no more than half a dozen blokes taken after him who've clearly out-performed him... of the next 150 odd.
And there's 3 taken before him he's clearly out-performed.

Looking more and more like a reasonable decision as the years roll by.

Not great, but decent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back