AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

On very thin ice . You could understand if they did not offer another contract.
I suspect they will given how highly they rate him but then they could give him two years and not get him on the park.
I think you could get away with a 1 year deal with a trigger for a 2nd if he plays 16 games or something.

He is the perfect complement to Wright and Weideman, and our record with and without him is stark. But you can't afford not to look at other options at the same time either.

I think you could get away with a 1 year deal with a trigger for a 2nd if he plays 16 games or something.

He is the perfect complement to Wright and Weideman, and our record with and without him is stark. But you can't afford not to look at other options at the same time either.
Correlation =/ Causation

Correlation =/ Causation
Im not saying it is necessarily, but it can't just be ignored either.

There is a reality that we lack marking power through the middle of the field, and often get outmarked between the 50s.
At the very least his engine allows him to get to enough contests to bring ground players into play, we haven't replaced that yet.

For the record I'm not saying he is a must keep, just that there is something there and if a 1 year deal is enough to get him to stay then I think it would be a better use of a list spot then pick 50 tying up a list spot for the next 2 years.

Im not saying it is necessarily, but it can't just be ignored either.

There is a reality that we lack marking power through the middle of the field, and often get outmarked between the 50s.
At the very least his engine allows him to get to enough contests to bring ground players into play, we haven't replaced that yet.

For the record I'm not saying he is a must keep, just that there is something there and if a 1 year deal is enough to get him to stay then I think it would be a better use of a pick spit then pick 50 tying up a list spot for the next 2 years.
Sure it can.

I've said repeatedly Jones ability to run doesn't mean anything if he doesn't get to the right spots.

Which he doesn't.

Sure it can.
Well if you have a bent against him, sure.
I've said repeatedly Jones ability to run doesn't mean anything if he doesn't get to the right spots.

Which he doesn't.
Well he does, as he is continually picked when fit and our aerial contests through the mid part of the ground has been woeful since Scott has been forced to play two rucks and Weideman.
He clearly provides something to the team and the role he played at the start of this year and to finish last indicates that isnhis job

Well if you have a bent against him, sure.

Well he does, as he is continually picked when fit and our aerial contests through the mid part of the ground has been woeful since Scott has been forced to play two rucks and Weideman.
He clearly provides something to the team and the role he played at the start of this year and to finish last indicates that isnhis job
"Bent against him." Please.

Have our performance dipped because we didn't have Jones or because we played 3 potential top 4 teams?

If his role as our key forward is to take 3 or 4 marks a game and not kick goals (which is what he's actually done) then we have massive issues.

Pointing to W/L and trying to use that is just the new massive reach, in a series of them this season, to justify his incredibly poor performances.

It probably takes first place for most amusing ahead of the "negating" role he played on Collins against the Suns, which became a "negating" role against Ballard when it was pointed out Collins wasn't negated at all.

Last edited:
Sure it can.

Which he doesn't.
He ran to the right spot’s IMO . He just failed to mark enough of them .

Strongly disagree. Got rather sick of watching him either in no man's land or having to scramble.

But to each their own.

I think I slightly lean to 'can't seeing him make it' side but I'm also pretty confident the club will still give him 2 years.

He was a player who we traded up for and is an "Essendon Person'
I'd hope we're past that but I think you're right.

You can't have argument of:

* bloody Philips can't clunk a mark, what a waste of absolute space. Drop him!!

vs

* HJ was just running to do good things for the side, but shit, he just missed grabing those balls kicked to him. He needs to be in every week.

Our supporters can't be that fickle?

"Bent against him." Please.

Have our performance dipped because we didn't have Jones or because we played 3 potential top 4 teams?

If his role as our key forward is to take 3 or 4 marks a game and not kick goals (which is what he's actually done) then we have massive issues.

Pointing to W/L and trying to use that is just the new massive reach, in a series of them this season, to justify his incredibly poor performances.

It probably takes first place for most amusing ahead of the "negating" role he played on Collins against the Suns, which became a "negating" role against Ballard when it was pointed out Collins wasn't negated at all.
Who says he was the sole reason. My point was, and is, that it can't just be thrown out as completely nothing, especially when the record of him in and out of the team is reflected last year as well.

He obviously isn't the sole reason we win games, no one (to my knowledge) has made that argument. But you can't rule out he plays some sort of role which helps the team either.
People were happy to point to Parish being out being a main reason we won a string of games that he missed last year.
So now that it isn't a player you like the inverse can't be argued? Please.

And I never argued he played well, obviously want more output at that position. But to say he contributed nothing is just plain wrong as well. The fact he continues to get picked shows that he is doing something right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who says he was the sole reason. My point was, and is, that it can't just be thrown out as completely nothing, especially when the record of him in and out of the team is reflected last year as well.

He obviously isn't the sole reason we win games, no one (to my knowledge) has made that argument. But you can't rule out he plays some sort of role which helps the team either.
People were happy to point to Parish being out being a main reason we won a string of games that he missed last year.

And I never argued he played well, obviously want more output at that position. But to say he contributed nothing is just plain wrong as well. The fact he continues to get picked shows that he is doing something right.
Ludicrous. Pointing out Jones deficiencies and lack of impact in matches doesn't mean I don't like him.

And while you're demanding I point out where someone said he's the sole reason, where did I say they did? I didn't. Because nobody said it.

You think he plays a role as a KPF by not touching the ball and not kicking goals. I don't.

Agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
You can't have argument of:

* bloody Philips can't clunk a mark, what a waste of absolute space. Drop him!!

vs

* HJ was just running to do good things for the side, but s**t, he just missed grabing those balls kicked to him. He needs to be in every week.

Our supporters can't be that fickle?
Not my argument 🙂

I think he'd make it as a chb. Reminds me a lot of Collingwoods Moore.
We could be so lucky!

Harry'll get there, just another setback (no pun intended).

He'll make it.
I agree.

His talent is a known quantity - 2021 showed that it’s well above baseline AFL standard.We also know he is brave and competitive.

Just a question of getting his body right - confidence and output will return if/when he does. Getting is body right isn’t a given however.

Imagine he’ll get a two year deal, have no issue with that.

I agree.

His talent is a known quantity - 2021 showed that it’s well above baseline AFL standard.We also know he is brave and competitive.

Just a question of getting his body right - confidence and output will return if/when he does. Getting is body right isn’t a given however.

Imagine he’ll get a two year deal, have no issue with that.
Might be 2 or if other clubs are willing to offer more, maybe more.

He’d probably be better placed to back himself in to find form and win a better contract by the end of two years though.

Wins above replacement is the stat

Harder to measure in complex team sports. But it would be foolish to ignore it when there is clear correlation over a long period

Wins above replacement is the stat

Harder to measure in complex team sports. But it would be foolish to ignore it when there is clear correlation over a long period
Lucky for us the club paid for the full champion data suite and our coach apparently knows how to use that data to make inferences and learn things about our team and others’… so if there’s any chance of someone being able to measure the impact of a skinny kid that runs all day (until he gets injured), we’re probably well placed to do that

I said it during the Gumby years and several others since.. you can't keep these guys that miss so much development time. He may have had above average talent at time of drafting but he has missed so much footy. Very rare to then come good and become great if you miss those first 3-4 years of AFL development. Reid and Cox almost in the same boat.

Unlucky but surely questions on our fitness department.. long standing issues getting and keeping players on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back