Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

We are in build mode and have many positions covered but this blokes spot will be hard to fill, we need to find the big vice grip bail out kick guy. For all his physical limitations he's still probably our most important forward and won't have much time left
That's why i want Callow in the mid season draft

What did he say?

Nothing special. Attributes his forward success this year to having a defined roll and spending the offseason training as a forward rather than swinging around. Prompted by a question said he speaks to Lloyd occasionally about forward craft, but real gives credit to good coaching from Dan Jordan. Big wraps for the kids and the way they are finding ways to get involved. Very keen to play on next year given how team is playing and how his body feels. Wants Dreamtime to be in Perth. Likes ruffling hair.

Have been critical of his lack of defense but you can not deny the effect having a big brute in the forward half. What I would like to see is him try standing near a player rather than the zone. He is too slow to be standing 10 meters away from someone. Truck should be saying , Chook just stand on someone. Do not worry about the back end of the zone.

Have been critical of his lack of defense but you can not deny the effect having a big brute in the forward half. What I would like to see is him try standing near a player rather than the zone. He is too slow to be standing 10 meters away from someone. Truck should be saying , Chook just stand on someone. Do not worry about the back end of the zone.

Outside of that he rarely if ever looks for a mate in a better spot... If he gets it anywhere without 70m of goal he's going back and shooting, despite knowing he's barely got 50 in those legs

Outside of that he rarely if ever looks for a mate in a better spot... If he gets it anywhere without 70m of goal he's going back and shooting, despite knowing he's barely got 50 in those legs

I think it's a lack of confidence in his foot skills. Kicks from just around 50 to a target closer to goal are gold and he probably thinks he's better off going for the bigger target (between the sticks).

I think it's a lack of confidence in his foot skills. Kicks from just around 50 to a target closer to goal are gold and he probably thinks he's better off going for the bigger target (between the sticks).

That's probably true but it even happens on ground balls, the blinkers go on.. I'm getting this ball and throwing it on my boot toward goal no matter what... Never thought of a sneaky handball

I'm not potting him anyway, he knows his limitations , more than makes up for it with ticker

Love the big Chook, he'sa heart and soul player and again bobbed up for a goal at an important moment, but he's becoming more of a liability each week. While I'd love for him to go around again next year and have a crack in finals, we just can't afford his lack of pressure.

Just didn't offer anything tonight, nor did he last week. Badly exposed by not only pace by May, but strength too. Plus we look way too slow with Wright, Hooker, Stringer, Jones and Waterman.

Hope we give him a nice send off for his final game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has held up well as a stop gap this year until tonight where he was exposed by one of the better backs in the comp.

Is a liability if he’s not winning in the air & May embarrassed him tonight. Just emphasised the need to be getting a KPF through the draft or FA.

To be fair to him, we kicked horribly to him most of the night. Consistently dropping it ten metres in front of him so he can’t get there to impact Lever loose in front. Especially with a bloke as strong as May trying to hold him up.

To be fair to him, we kicked horribly to him most of the night. Consistently dropping it ten metres in front of him so he can’t get there to impact Lever loose in front. Especially with a bloke as strong as May trying to hold him up.

It was ordinary delivery but May also exposed his pace a few times by simply running past him and he does not lead. Stands and waves his arms a lot and gets swamped. He commands the number one spot in the forward line when he shouldn't in games like tonight. When he was on the Bench and 2MP was the FF 2MP marked and kicked a goal and crumbed a goal.
He is trying his guts out and keeps working but his total lack of speed is burning us on several levels when he can not get a decent match up. The amount of times they run off him in a game means he has to be kicking 3 plus goals every week.

Last edited:
I think on much reduced reduced he's ok to stay for 1 more year. Very much reduced though. He's currently a stop gap even if he is consistently hitting the scoreboard, would rather Bryan get games next year as a forward/ruck, or possibly cox moving into a kpf role. He'd be on very very good money and he just has so many moments in a game where he's just nowhere near it. Does pop up in crucial moments though so that's a credit to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Back