Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

People take a bit to get back from an ACL because they've done a bloody ACL.

They'll be fine.

The reason Crowley is crap is because Crowley wasn't so great at anything but tagging two years ago, is at the end of his career, and didn't do a full pre-season.

Our 12, especially the professionals like Hooker, will be fantastic out the gate.

All sorts of emotions reading the HS article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/3fa7c47d51bff5aae39220cbd21a0d7b

- reading what he had to say about the CAS decision day was heart wrenching
- wanting his kids to be proud of where he played and his club stood out for me
- there seems a genuine camaraderie and bond that not many players have between the 12 players suspended that are still at the club. It is for this reason and with now 3 signings I expect them all to follow suit (except Watson who I genuinely have no clue whether he stays or goes).
- seriously contemplated leaving.

No Essendon supporter would have begrudged cale for leaving. I hold him in the highest esteem for staying with the club, he is an Essendon legend.

Never had a number on the back on my jumper before... but im considering getting 26 on my next one. Had every right to leave, chose to stay. Loyalty and Integrity personified

Haha There are no said examples of 12 month suspensions to form a case for or against.
Name me one player that has missed a year of footy and been able to slot straight back into it without missing a beat?
The game changes a lot in 12 months, and there are plenty of players that have struggled to pick the pace of the game and changes back up after a year out. They have said it themselves.

Might have missed the wife's second best friend solidly planted in my bubble and squeak

Players do, however, miss a year through things like ACL ruptures not that infrequently, and often manage to return just fine even with their long recoveries.

These guys are missing a year while still being in constant training- even if it is modified and not directed by the club.

I'm not saying they won't have some re-calibration to do; of course they will. But I wouldn't worry too much.
If they can negotiate contracts via carrier pigeon, surely they can negotiate their training via carrier pigeon? I'm sure whatever they're doing is as good as it can possibly be within the limitations that they have. (Nice analogy with the carrier pigeon, whoever I ripped that from.)

It'll be interesting to see how Crowley goes this year in the medium- to long-term, because he essentially did the same thing having a year of just training and then an interrupted/messed-up pre-season that didn't help. If Crowley can be good for us this year I don't see why our twelve couldn't, given they have that much more support and will get a full EFC pre-season for 2017 (injury permitting).

Hi there. Great signing - you must be very happy. I would love for Melbourne to have picked up Hooker (would have been perfect) but at the same time it's such a good news story that someone really wants to play for the jumper rather than the best $$$. Hope he has a blinder for each of the next five years. Love Hooker.

Also - have various EFC supporting relatives who are really happy - and they've had a gloomy few years, so I'm happy for them too.

:thumbsu:

Edit: grrrrr would bloody love to pick up Hooker though. Grrrrrr

Last edited:
Hi there. Great signing - you must be very happy. I would love for Melbourne to have picked up Hooker (would have been perfect) but at the same time it's such a good news story that someone really wants to play for the jumper rather than the best $$$. Hope he has a blinder for each of the next five years. Love Hooker.

Also - have various EFC supporting relatives who are really happy - and they've had a gloomy few years, so I'm happy for them too.

Least you got Melksham.

You can have Pears instead?

Don't you remember in 2010 when he was slow and shit, and we were all outraged that he wouldn't accept the trade to West Coast for picks 22 and 24, and now he's one of the best defenders in the AFL and one of the most important players in our team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you remember in 2010 when he was slow and shit, and we were all outraged that he wouldn't accept the trade to West Coast for picks 22 and 24, and now he's one of the best defenders in the AFL and one of the most important players in our team?
I was there that night he haplessly chased Buddy down the wing.....

How the tables turn. Like I said earlier in the thread none of us could have begrudged him for giving us the big FU - instead he has written his place into EFC history as a legend of the club.

It's the first bit of really really good news we've had in a while, and I'm hoping it's the trickle that starts the flood.

I was there that night he haplessly chased Buddy down the wing.....

How the tables turn. Like I said earlier in the thread none of us could have begrudged him for giving us the big FU - instead he has written his place into EFC history as a legend of the club.

It's the first bit of really really good news we've had in a while, and I'm hoping it's the trickle that starts the flood.
I was there too right in front of your namesake. The first one was bad enough but then it was like dejavu all over again

Posts in this thread in the 700s is everyone talking about how good trading Hooker to WC for pick 25 is. Lol #noobs

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think a backline of Pears, Hooker, Carlisle, Hardingham, Dempsey and Hibberd has good balance.
Interesting thread. One thing that struck me was this post from 2012.

4 years ago.

How things have changed massively now. Yet Bigfooty nuffies on the mainboard are telling us that we're not going to improve enough to challenge for a flag for 10 years hence resigning Hooker is terrible.

This post alone (Oh and not a crack at you quotemokc because it was a very reasonable post at the time) screams to me how quickly things can change. 4 years is an eternity in football, we get things right and we could send Hooker off with a flag.

4 years ago.

How things have changed massively now. Yet Bigfooty nuffies on the mainboard are telling us that we're not going to improve enough to challenge for a flag for 10 years hence resigning Hooker is terrible.

This post alone (Oh and not a crack at you quotemokc because it was a very reasonable post at the time) screams to me how quickly things can change. 4 years is an eternity in football, we get things right and we could send Hooker off with a flag.
If Pears stayed fit I wouldn't have disagreed, honestly.

4 years ago.

The funniest part is, they were discussing Hooker (along with Hurley and Heppell) as potential targets the day before Hooker re-signed. He is now an overrated spud now that he has signed :rolleyes:

If Pears stayed fit I wouldn't have disagreed, honestly.
Shame really. Had all the talent in the world but was ****ed over by injuries. Same with Gumbleton

The funniest part is, they were discussing Hooker (along with Hurley and Heppell) as potential targets the day before Hooker re-signed. He is now an overrated spud now that he has signed :rolleyes:

Shame really. Had all the talent in the world but was stuffed over by injuries. Same with Gumbleton

Yeah hooker is a massive spud

I am sure the other 5 clubs offering him 800k a year for 6 years were only doing it to give us the shits............ :drunk::drunk:

Hooker was always a decent defender, he just went from decent to PHWOAH in a season or two.

That Buddy goal, for example, is evidence for how hard he goes at it. Many other defenders wouldn't have made that kind of effort, let alone gained enough on him to force him to kick a miracle goal from the boundary.

i can honestly say i never wanted Hooker to go for that trade. He has always had something about it. And suggesting Caddy was a bloody insult

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Back