Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

his stats are impressive, however it was a one sided game from the looks of things. To those who watched, how was his disposal?

his stats are impressive, however it was a one sided game from the looks of things. To those who watched, how was his disposal?

Not great but not terrible either. Most kicks where to 50/50s from what I remember being at the ground.

Young Merret, Kavanagh & Browne are vying for the one spot, if any IMO.

Personally, I think Browne is ahead of those two, but may not be for long. I think Browne is a young jet, but impressed with Kav and Merrett too. I wouldnt be opposed to doing what Geelong have seemingly done for the last two seasons.

Pick a best 18-19 and then have 2-3 spots for development. They have had a stronger side to be able to carry this, but the development of their kids has been scary good, hence they won yet another VFL Grand Final, and they have a plethora of kids to come through when senior spots are up for grabs.

If we were to get extra games into these three, as well as Melksham and Colyer, then it could fast track us for sustained success.

And I realise we havent got the star studded side like Geelong.

just a thought.

For Merrett to get the nod over him, I think it says a lot about where the coaching staff see his progress.

I think it says more about structures and they are worried about lack of spread more than winning the football. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they want sub out Zaha at half time and want a like for like swap.

I think it says more about structures and they are worried about lack of spread more than winning the football. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they want sub out Zaha at half time and want a like for like swap.

COrrect me if im wrong but kav and merret are fairly similar style players?

I've got Merrett as more similar to Colyer, just with a bit better skills and, hopefully, a little more poise with the ball, which I think will come.

COrrect me if im wrong but kav and merret are fairly similar style players?

Not really, Kav is an inside/outside type, while not slow lacks speed but can connect on the spread style wise I'd say similar to Shuey, whereas I've only seen Merrett play exclusively outside, he's pacier and finds space on the HFF and wings think Caracella.

I'm pretty surprised that he's in the side, as I've only seen good glimpses from him rather than whole games or even quarters.

Not really, Kav is an inside/outside type, while not slow lacks speed but can connect on the spread style wise I'd say similar to Shuey, whereas I've only seen Merrett play exclusively outside, he's pacier and finds space on the HFF and wings think Caracella.

I'm pretty surprised that he's in the side, as I've only seen good glimpses from him rather than whole games or even quarters.

My limited exposure of Merritt has seen good kicking skills and decision-making. TRB may be happy to play him and gradually the rest of his game will come together.

For Merrett to get the nod over him, I think it says a lot about where the coaching staff see his progress.

Not really, different types of players Synth.

Merret is a forward/half forward, where as Kavanagh is an out and out midfielder, who incidentally, I havent seen play many other positions in the few games I saw of him at VFL level last year. Merret was able to spend some time running across the wings and occasionally on the ball, his slight frame saw him spend most of his time inside the F50 though.

With so many 2nd/3rd year midfielders biding there time in the VFL, something is going to have to give with the AFL team, only so long can you 'carry' players (I use that term lightly, not directing it at anyone player in particular), with guys like Browne, Kavanagh, O'Brien, Colyer, Melksham even Dalgleish showing promise from the rookie list, spots in the firsts are going to be a premium and the small guys in the 16 - 22 (position) in the ones are going to have to perform otherwise the aforementioned should be given a run if they are performing in the twos.

Bring on 2013!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have though he'd be sub. He doesn't yet have the game or experience to play a crucial role late in what should be a tight game. The way it is shaping I am thinking of Colyer or Melksham.

It is not that at all.

I think that subs are best left to certain types of players. More dynamic and experienced guys like Melksham and Colyer will be better able to have a big impact in the open spaces late during a game at Subi.

I can see Kavanagah contributing to the grind of the inside battle for the first three quarters much more than I can see him racking up 10-15 in the last 30 minutes and carrying the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back