Past #28: Matt Riggio - drafted #28 in '05 ND - 10 games for North - delisted at end '09 season

Remove this Banner Ad

riggio is the exact kind of player we need right now too bad he turned out into a bit of a hack

riggio is the exact kind of player we need right now too bad he turned out into a bit of a hack

I don't know.. is he a hack? I mean why would they have kept him? I know he wouldn't be the first no-hoper to stay on or list for years. However, in this day and age, I would have assumed that we would have cut him loose unless we thought he had something to offer. He looked very promising against Geelong last year.

i thought it was a bit strange they didnt give him a nab cup game

no mario im too busy for that bro maybe later down the track

ok i am looking forward to seeing how he goes this weekend then

would u agree he is the exact kind of player we are lacking?

ok i am looking forward to seeing how he goes this weekend then

would u agree he is the exact kind of player we are lacking?
Full of promise but little achieved. Nah we have plenty of those

midfielder who can play inside and outside roles and has good footskills

i cant think of 1 other

Riggio needs to get more of the ball. Hopefuly the coach gives him an extended run, with decent game time so he can stake his claim.
I know you are a fan so you must have watched him closely last year, did he deserve a spot in the seniors or do you think he underachieved? And if seniors, what is his best possie do you think?

I know you are a fan so you must have watched him closely last year, did he deserve a spot in the seniors or do you think he underachieved?

He was very servicable in the seconds and he showed glimpses in the senior matches he was given, but he didn't nail down a spot. I had the impression that after showing initial promise in the midfield, he was given run with roles by Laidley, and Matt reverted to watching his opponent more than getting the ball himself. I'd like to see Dean give him an extended run in the middle as a clearance playernand instruct him to make winning the ball as his primary goal.

And if seniors, what is his best possie do you think?

His best possie is in the middle as a clearance player. He takes on too much of a defensive (sheepdogging) role when he is played in defence or as a run with player. When he is freed from that role he makes a beeline for the ball.

He does have the capacity to play as a defender, but I can't see him taking anyones spot in the near to mid term future.

A big year lies ahead for Matt Riggio.

He was very servicable in the seconds and he showed glimpses in the senior matches he was given, but he didn't nail down a spot. I had the impression that after showing initial promise in the midfield, he was given run with roles by Laidley, and Matt reverted to watching his opponent more than getting the ball himself. I'd like to see Dean give him an extended run in the middle as a clearance playernand instruct him to make winning the ball as his primary goal.

His best possie is in the middle as a clearance player. He takes on too much of a defensive (sheepdogging) role when he is played in defence or as a run with player. When he is freed from that role he makes a beeline for the ball.

A big year lies ahead for Matt Riggio.
I think next to the impending return of JWS, my main interest from this weeks practice game would be to see if Riggs and Levi get a run and how they perform and what role.

Pity it's in Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, he doesn't really win alot of the ball. He had a fair run last year but didn't realy grab it. He's certainly got all the tools tough.

Would definitely have to be thee last roll of the dice. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround, I think both he and Swallow could be in strife at the end of the season. Having said that Laidley praised Swallow after friday night so he must see something nobody else here did. But then we are just armchair experts. :)

He can kick. If you are going to play the ball along the boundary line like we did on Friday night, you'd want to have more of his type than the Power/Simpson/Rawlings/Swallow/Harris/Harding type.

I would hope he gets a run in at least 1 of the remaining trial matches. The fact he is being overlooked for these games suggests he has a lot of work to do.

Surely there is room for him in the current line-up. Is he injured? If he ain't injured & guys like Lower, Power, Greenwood, Watt etc. are getting games ahead of him, something ain't right. Maybe there has been a falling out with Dean?
Even though Riggio ain't quick (which is almost a blanket description for 95% of our current list), at least he can kick a ball with penetration.

coming back from injury through ressies as we speak. played a half for weribee ressies last week

He's been a bit injured but mate he is another one of them blokes with "attitude problems". :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back