Rookie 28: Oliver Dempsey (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

GI6ySDJaEAAZwHh

Harley has had 19. Dempsey 16. Wilson 8, Wardlaw 5, Darcy 5, Mckercher 0, Windsor 0

I think they are the best at that level?
Thanks
I find it interesting Wardlaw is such a heavy favorite and only got the 5 coaches votes.
I understand wins are important to get votes but Dempsey has helped us win a few games.
I also strongly believe if Dempsey was a higher draft pick like Wardlaw, Dempsey would be favorite

Thanks
I find it interesting Wardlaw is such a heavy favorite and only got the 5 coaches votes.
I understand wins are important to get votes but Dempsey has helped us win a few games.
I also strongly believe if Dempsey was a higher draft pick like Wardlaw, Dempsey would be favorite
Got a lot of time for Wardlaw, and would love him at Geelong.

Can't help but feel there's a bit of tokenism in the narrative that he's a monty for the award though.

It's like the AFL feel the need to cheer up the battler in Norf, and assure their fans that the rebuild is on track by ensuring him the award.

Move over Dempsey & Geelong, you've had your time and your supporters have plenty to be happy about with or without a rising star.

George would be a worthy winner, and I wouldn't complain if he got it...but it's much closer to 50/50 than it's being made out to be.

Thanks
In fairness Dempsey would have only been 2 votes ahead before this week

Below is From The Addy today - "likes and dislikes"

To be honest, whilst I jumped on early as thought he was a good speculative bandwagon to be on, I am now quite shocked at the performance so far in 2024. A couple of quieter games but most have been either productive or very impactive

Of course that is history...we really need the next month to look like the last month - he is actually important for us now

1. BOG DEMPSEY’S STOCKS RISING

A month ago we raised Ollie Dempsey as a genuine shot to win the Rising Star. After a month of stellar form, he is closing in on favourite George Wardlaw, who will miss another week with a concussion. Dempsey was awarded the Tom Willis Award as the best player on the ground in the wet against Essendon, finishing with 25 disposals, nine coaches votes, seven score involvements and two goals, one of those a miraculous soccer off the outside of his boot. Remarkably, Champion Data stats reveal he is one of just three players to average more than 22 disposals, 1.5 goals and two score assists since round 12. The other two are Collingwood superstar Nick Daicos and dynamic Hawthorn forward Dylan Moore, both of which are firmly in All-Australian calculations. Those numbers have come while splitting his time between a wing and the forward line, two positions that often go unheralded.

OLIVER DEMPSEY'S STELLAR MONTH​

DisposalsGoalsScore AssistsScore Inv
Since Round 1222.81.52.05.5

He's also leading SEN's version of the Rising Star award.

SEN’s Rising Star votes - Round 16​

3: Ollie Dempsey (GEE)
2: Josh Draper (FRE)
1: Will Graham (GCS)

Who missed: Lachie Cowan, Joel Freijah, Bodhi Uwland and Nick Watson were amongst those in the mix.

Leaderboard - Round 16​

12: Ollie Dempsey (GEE)
11: Harley Reid (WCE)
10: George Wardlaw (NM)
8: Sam Darcy (WB)
8: Colby McKercher (NM)
7: Matthew Roberts (SYD)
5: Ryley Sanders (WB)
5: Darcy Wilson (STK)
5: Bodhi Uwland (GCS)
4: Kai Lohmann (BRI)
3: Will Graham (GCS)