Player Watch #29 Matilda Scholz

Remove this Banner Ad

Matilda has the potential to be Port Adelaide's AFLW icon equivalent to Tayla Harris.
Well she won't be an 'icon' equivalent to Tayla Harris, because, you know, Victoria and all. She could certainly be as good or better as a player though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matilda Scholz has taken arguably the greatest mark in AFLW history while lifting Port Adelaide to an eight-point win over Collingwood and into the top eight.

It will no doubt be the mark of the season and will take some beating as the finest grab in AFL Women's history.

The teen ruck modestly described her stunning take as a "bit of a fluke" but Melbourne forward Tayla Harris, no stranger to history-making moments of her own, labelled it "unreal" on social media.

It's cool to be different

BEING in a relationship with a teammate isn't always easy, least of all when you don't fit a lot of people's idea of what a woman in a relationship with another woman looks like.

Matilda Scholz, who burst onto the AFLW scene before she was technically draft-eligible, has been in a relationship with teammate Abbey Dowrick for nearly a year, but has a very relaxed approach to sexuality.

"People come up to me and say 'oh you don't look like you'd be with a girl," Scholz told AFL.com.au.

"I'm like, 'well, what's that supposed to look like?'"

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/12...t-port-rucks-unique-approach-to-love-and-life

Question, is it the next draft we could recruit her sister Poppy? If so will we have priority if we finish lower than the crows?

Question, is it the next draft we could recruit her sister Poppy? If so will we have priority if we finish lower than the crows?
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think AFLW is just doing regular national drafts from now on, not the state based ones. So we'd be competing against every other team to draft Poppy, not just the Crows.

While last year's draft allowed prospects to nominate for a national pool, the 2024 Telstra AFLW Draft will be the first time in the competition's history that all players will be eligible to be drafted to any club across the country.

Previous drafts were state-based, due to the part-time nature of the competition, but an average 20 per cent increase in remuneration for AFLW draftees as well as the recent introduction of relocation allowances have paved the way for a fully national draft.

While last year's draft allowed prospects to nominate for a national pool, the 2024 Telstra AFLW Draft will be the first time in the competition's history that all players will be eligible to be drafted to any club across the country.

Previous drafts were state-based, due to the part-time nature of the competition, but an average 20 per cent increase in remuneration for AFLW draftees as well as the recent introduction of relocation allowances have paved the way for a fully national draft.

Shame for us really. Unlike in the mens, SA seems to punch above its weight in the quality of AFLW talent it produces. And we'd usually be likely to have first dibs over the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29 Matilda Scholz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back