Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying that, but more the “if they don’t want to be here then **** off” attitude. These are premiership players of our great club we are talking about. If they want to go home for family, I absolutely get that appeal and we should do what we can to get great value for them.

I agree with your sentiment but do you think Shai requests a trade if we were contending? Answer is No. RFC is a sinking ship at the moment and the club might have planned its future around players like him who are stars and on long term contracts. The pain for us actually starts next year!

I agree with your sentiment but do you think Shai requests a trade if we were contending? Answer is No. RFC is a sinking ship at the moment and the club might have planned its future around players like him who are stars and on long term contracts. The pain for us actually starts next year!
true...next year will be a painful experience - with the draft being again the highlight
but at least we will have a band of super young quality players on our list
its then up to them to work hard and us to develop them into fine Richmond men
plant the seeds, watch them grow
and in 4-5 years time we attack the flag once again

Agree mate.
Yes, the lure of WA and a support network for family are big factors.
But he simply doesn’t want to do the hard yards and be part of a rebuilding team.
He’s cream on the top and knows it so he’ll go where he can to win.
The resilience or lack there of is telling, but it’s a business.
Loyalty died long ago!

For sure that may be a percentage of his thought process. It is natural and human nature.

It’s hilarious listening to the journos .. who all passionately follow a team… tying themselves in knots over Richmond having a huge draft bounty this year. They are absolutely crapping themselves we may be really good again in a few years.

Karen Cornes said this tonight …

Sentence 1: Shai Bolton had one of the best seasons ever seen by a half forward in 2022. He’s got 10-years left and Tigers are losing him in his prime. They need to hold out for a king’s ransom as they cannot afford to lose him … as no draft picks will ever produce what he can

Then …

Sentence 2: Not sure Freo should be using up draft capital in a very strong draft for Bolton. What if they miss out on the next Butters and Rozee with their picks they trade. It really may not be the right move as who says or knows Freo are in the window.

I kid you not. In the space of 3-minutes he arguing for both sides of the argument. Richmond should be hellbent on keeping him and not preferring the draft picks. But Freo should not be hellbent on trading for him with the draft picks.

So what is it Kane? Is a team better off with Bolton, or better off with 2 first round draft picks? You CANNOT be arguing both sides of the argument so you can say in 2 years you were correct. It’s easy to be correct when you argue both sides.

It’s like when he bemoaned how a dynasty team could get TT and Hopper from a team like GWS, and how the system was ‘broken’ for that to happen. Then a year later never shuts up about what a disastrous trade it was like it was always the position he held. It wasn’t…. Not even close.

I wish people would call him out on talkback with his crap (no, I’m not calling).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My opinion is Fremantle would be better off with Bolton and Richmond would be better off with three first round draft picks

true...next year will be a painful experience - with the draft being again the highlight
I could totally deal with a GWS early level season of shit next year as long as we approach this re-build with serious intent and almost scorched earth mindset.

Would mean assisting Bolton, Baker and Graham out the door as well as perhaps retiring Grimes (certainly) K Mac, Dion, Marlion and ideally Short.

I would love to keep Dan Rioli however - up his $ and make him Captain and sell him the idea of a new generation of Tigers, his team to lead us forward.

If we inject another 5 - 6 high quality youngsters into the rotation from next year, I would not be looking to the scoreboard for my satisfaction in 2025.....

And with those draft picks we need to draft 'tall' players don't we?
This draft is lean on tall players. I think we want to bundle some picks into some 1st round death rides for next year and hedge a little. Take 70% of our draft bounty this year and then trade 30% ahead and death ride/buy 3M worth of TPP draft picks in 2025 and 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it once, will say it again;

Bolton is an asset when you're a top 8 side. We are not, and wont be, for a couple of years at least. We're far better off trading him for 2 first rounders and building back up again.

Why do oppo fans think we're just going to bend over and let Bolton go for unders?

I think we'll do the opposite and really dig our heels in like we did with Soldo last year to extract maximum value.
cos they are jealous

everyone throw's down the 'family' card as a excuse
tried and true, and works most of the time..
need to get harley reid to throw down a family card , does he really want another year in perth ?

and hope to dear god that other clubs come picking at our carcass! hope we can retain these quality kids coming in knowing there is hurt on the way

I could totally deal with a GWS early level season of shit next year as long as we approach this re-build with serious intent and almost scorched earth mindset.

Would mean assisting Bolton, Baker and Graham out the door as well as perhaps retiring Grimes (certainly) K Mac, Dion, Marlion and ideally Short.

I would love to keep Dan Rioli however - up his $ and make him Captain and sell him the idea of a new generation of Tigers, his team to lead us forward.

If we inject another 5 - 6 high quality youngsters into the rotation from next year, I would not be looking to the scoreboard for my satisfaction in 2025.....

We will get belted, but it's definitely better than the watching guys you know won't take us forward get belted.

Hard to get excited about many if any of our young guys.

In saying that I don't want him going to West Coast they don't have the assets we should get for him.
yes but if freo was as shite as west coast and west coast was good, he'd go to west coast

Bolton and his missus have managed to have one kid in Melbourne. The first kid is where young parents need most help. Kid No2 or 3 on the way? and I need to get to Perth?
From RFC point of view...**** it. Shai go buy a house in Perth with your $million contract. Set up the family and have them fly back to Melb to visit.

We have had our worst season ever, anyone under contract who wants out goes for market value minimum

No thanks

You want to keep a player like Shai and separate him from his family? Who are you Alistair Clarkson?

Sure, make him stay, I'm sure he will happily try his heart out for the club while his misses and kids are in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back