Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Idk if that’s a good deal tbh but I think pick 3 is a must have. Maybe if they give us a F1 or F2 I’d be on board with it.
Picks #3 for Bolton
Pick #22 for Graham
pick #23 for Baker

Baker is unders but getting #3 is the bonus

Yes but we get pick #22
have to look at it as a package really

Out : Bolton , Baker , Graham
In: #3 , #22 , #23
I think it's light TBH. Bolton and Baker are worth that just for the two of them. Not that I think Grahams worth much, but seems unders for us and considering 22 is free for West Coast they make out like bandits.

I was hoping for four picks for the three players but pick 3 is probably worth two later round one picks. Given how level the playing field is for the first 20 odd players, I've of a mind to value more picks in that bracket though, rather than less picks but higher up. Just me though.
What’s the chances of landing pick 3 or is it really more hope then anything
lol.

Anything less than WCE pick 3 isn't enough. I don't rate Baker so if the WA teams do I'll gladly take pick 9 or 10 for him.

But Shai puts bums on seats. He's still only 25 and with his freakish elastic build is durable as. Since he cemented his spot in 2019 he's rarely missed maybe missing a 1/2 dozen games in an era of Louie that's phenomenal.

He's still 25th in the Coleman going at an elite 1.6 goals a game whilst being starved in a putrid team. He's gonna have games where it clicks and he kicks multiple bags of 5 over a season and have plenty of 50 goal seasons to come whilst also killing it in the midfield. He was the highlight reel again on the weekend flying for grabs, laying tackles, slipping and dodging and weaving, bombing them from 55m out, that phenomenal smother before turning on the afterburners and snapping a beauty. I'm not fussed about Baker, Graham or Dan Rioli (unaccountable HBF are easily replaced) going.

I'm glad the way he's playing the trade by being happy to go to either team or stay as it'll create a bidding war. I'd love him to stay but if Tassie wasn't on the horizon I'd rather him help us launch rather than still languishing last and only getting pick 9 when they enter. Mark and goal of the year in magoos, Mark of the year right in front of me against Scats, he was robbed too should've got goal of the year against Bulldogs in 2022 which was 100 x better than Draper's bog average goal.

With our mids of Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Mcauliffe, Dow, Graham all being so similar he's that massive point of difference. It's gonna be painful seeing him reach his full potential elsewhere. Just preying Toce nails his picks. Gonna be quite the farewell game against WCE and exit interviews will reveal all this time next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate paying money to players playing for another club

Cap trading comes in and we can trade cap space for top 10 picks

Bolton is contracted and we set the price and its upto freo to pay or not to pay either way we dont lose him

Fremantle need bolton more than we need a pick 15+

I agree except when we aren't paying the salary anyway. So we either pay players more than they are worth, or we pay and get better pick/s.

Just playing the game. Do it smart and you might get an extra quality player for money you had to spend anyway.

I agree except when we aren't paying the salary anyway. So we either pay players more than they are worth, or we pay and get better pick/s.

Just playing the game. Do it smart and you might get an extra quality player for money you had to spend anyway.
There are many ways to distribute the money in the cap

• Pay players contracts up front
  • Balta will take Shai's $$$ and we could pay majority of it in the first 2 years
  • Cap trading will be coming in the next 2 years so could easily access another 2 x top 10 picks in the next 2 years
  • Build a war chest to entice the Elite talent thats required in 2 years could be JUH / Cadman / Harley R

Player like Bolton does not need to have his salary paid by Richmond to get the deal done as freo are more desperate to get him than Richmond are to off load him and Shai will still be worth a top 5 pick in 2 years time

Rioli i would only pay 2 years at $250k a year if we get their #5 + #14 other wise he can stay

There are many ways to distribute the money in the cap

• Pay players contracts up front
  • Balta will take Shai's $$$ and we could pay majority of it in the first 2 years
  • Cap trading will be coming in the next 2 years so could easily access another 2 x top 10 picks in the next 2 years
  • Build a war chest to entice the Elite talent thats required in 2 years could be JUH / Cadman / Harley R

Player like Bolton does not need to have his salary paid by Richmond to get the deal done as freo are more desperate to get him than Richmond are to off load him and Shai will still be worth a top 5 pick in 2 years time

Rioli i would only pay 2 years at $250k a year if we get their #5 + #14 other wise he can stay

I'd rather spend the money to get more/better picks while we are nowhere near the cap. In 2 or 3 years we will want to front load players, and/or free agents.

This situation re trades is so unusual that I want to maximise it, whilst keeping our $ OK. I ma comfortable paying to get pick 5. Might end up being Jagga.

just remember what sydney offered for pick 3 in dustys draft year 7 and 14. if we are trading shai I'm only taking at minimum a pick inside 5 as well as a pick at 10-15. freo have to pay overs as he's contracted, look what they asked for shulz!a first and a second, shai is worth triple what he is lol

Agree mate.
Yes, the lure of WA and a support network for family are big factors.
But he simply doesn’t want to do the hard yards and be part of a rebuilding team.
He’s cream on the top and knows it so he’ll go where he can to win.
The resilience or lack there of is telling, but it’s a business.
Loyalty died long ago!
It hasn’t actually many before him determined to stay in the y&b despite better offers elsewhere
Dusty
Cotch
Jack
And 5 min ago broady extended his stay
It’s not dead but these two blokes aren’t cut from the same mould , oh well , I move on pretty quick

100% , weak as piss he is , soon as we are shit he bails , same as Rioli , his fisncee got him under the thumb weak as piss brah
once they taste success then its hard to go to the shit that we are atm.

TBO i am struggling with it,

Im having a hard time just thinking about watching TT and Hopper, maybe graham, an undercooked prestia/lynch and mac run out next year. no wonder players are retiring or requesting a trade.
I saw this last year and spoke about it, over and over and I still cant get it out of my system.
Only watching the kids gives me some sense of joy.

once they taste success then its hard to go to the shit that we are atm.

TBO i am struggling with it,

Im having a hard time just thinking about watching TT and Hopper, maybe graham, an undercooked prestia/lynch and mac run out next year. no wonder players are retiring or requesting a trade.
I saw this last year and spoke about it, over and over and I still cant get it out of my system.
Only watching the kids gives me some sense of joy.
With 8+ list changes , hope springs eternal, so get out and smell the roses

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back