Remove this Banner Ad

I've been worried about Judd's kicking since round 1. .. He's never been a notably sublime kicker but its off even by that standard. .. I could be reading too much into it but his action is looking pronounced at the moment similar to when he had the groin issues where he seems to be kicking the ball with his hips rather than his leg movement. .. Hope its not the groin again. ..
Oh speculation...

If it were his groin, he wouldn't be running as hard as he does. He is just a shit kick.

He got nowhere near the goals - it was just funny.
I wasn't expecting him to kick it, but really, he should have done better than that lame effort.

Funniest home video moment HBF. :p

I couldn't stop laughing.

Thought it was hilarious & I said to all around me that he would kick it out on the full.

Thread would be full of Stone Cold Steve Austin moments if we kicked better :(

austin316.jpg

A fair few were rushed behinds. Not to mention the ones that were poor shots, tight angles etc we should be more worried that Adelaide forced us to lead so wide, rather than our actual goalkicking. We did miss some easy ones but it's not that black & white.
False,
it is that black and white and thats why it has been discussed on every footy show, almost every week this year.

Secondly - 3.17, watch the game mate - seriously, it was absolutely appalling.

More to it than that according to you - well not according to anyone else - including Waite last night - we kicked appallingly and let them back into the game with our inaccuracy. We have a SERIOUS issue with our accuracy - THAT SIMPLE.

False,
it is that black and white and thats why it has been discussed on every footy show, almost every week this year.

More to it than that according to you - well not according to anyone else - including Waite last night - we kicked appallingly and let them back into the game with our inaccuracy. We have a SERIOUS issue with our accuracy - THAT SIMPLE.

So in one pre-season we've gone from the 2nd most accurate team to struggling for accuracy but its simple to fix?

Doubt it. .. Everyone around me was commenting on the long shots for goal and the rushed behinds in that 2nd quarter and in the third it was a lack of composure, then tired legs and pressured kicks. .. It was further emphasised by the way we pressured Adelaide and had multiple shots on goal without it leaving our half which is part of the new game plan. ..

Its obviously a combination of things:
an unsettled forward line;
more midfielders shooting for goal;
more shots from stoppages;
just plain poor kicking;
and probably more. ..

I think I might have burst a blood vessel in my head when Judd's 50metre outside of the boot kick at goal stooped dead 1metre out from the line only for it to be rushed behind. What the hell? Couldn't buy a goal at that stage.

So in one pre-season we've gone from the 2nd most accurate team to struggling for accuracy but its simple to fix?

Doubt it. .. Everyone around me was commenting on the long shots for goal and the rushed behinds in that 2nd quarter and in the third it was a lack of composure, then tired legs and pressured kicks. .. It was further emphasised by the way we pressured Adelaide and had multiple shots on goal without it leaving our half which is part of the new game plan. ..

Its obviously a combination of things:
an unsettled forward line;
more midfielders shooting for goal;
more shots from stoppages;
just plain poor kicking;
and probably more. ..

Have no real idea what you are talking about - yes midfielders shoot for goal, yes forward lines change, yes teams have shots from stoppages - thats what footy is - however 17 missed shots in two quarters of footy comes down to plain poor kicking.

False,

I did watch the game and I don't care what footy show it was discussed on, I have evolved the ability of independent thought.

Yes we did kick some shockers, the Judd one being the worst that I remember, I'm not going to say our kicking was good, but no - it isn't black & white like you say. Do you think if the team spent the entire week practicing just shooting for goal then anything would change?

Our forward structure is the problem, we desperately need talls that are going to give contests.

It's a bit too easy to say '3.17 our kicking was shit' but as I said 5 or 6 were rushed behinds and there were plenty of low percentage shots from shit angles. Quit being so one-dimensional.

Have no real idea what you are talking about - yes midfielders shoot for goal, yes forward lines change, yes teams have shots from stoppages - thats what footy is - however 17 missed shots in two quarters of footy comes down to plain poor kicking.

Least you got that bit right. .. I'll spell it out for you. ..

Forwards generally kick for goal better than Midfielders, as they get more game pressure practice. .. so by extension midfielders are generally more inaccurate. .. Its also one of the reasons Collingwood were more inaccurate with their spread of goal scorers

Our unsettled forward line means we have new forwards in there. .. Like our rucks in Hampson (poor kick) and Warnock (who normally a decent kick but isn't a dead eye). .. They also end up getting the ball too wide and thus also lower the percentages. ..

Shots from stoppages are usually rushed and under extreme pressure, thus also more inaccurate. .. Further the fact that we are playing a forward press create more stoppages and congestion around the kicks. ..

Further, 6 of our points were rushed behinds. .. So it was 3goals 13points (for the game) with a further 3-4 out of bounds. ..

I probably haven't covered all reasons either. .. So its not as simple as extra goal kicking practice which btw cannot replicate game intensity. ..

Edit: Further to my original point is that we were the second most accurate team in the comp last year and we don't just turn into simply poor kicks over an off season without reason. ..

Well i'm not sure a fast run up is a good thing. I prefer people have a slow run up. They seem to be better kicks. See Jack Riewoldt.

Judd missed that goal for two reasons:

1. Concerntration. Went back, took no time and casually kicked it. Did not concerntrate as much as he would have had the game been close, or if he was kicking from the boundry etc.

2. Judd has a poor kicking technique. Hence the reason why he is not a great kick.

He holds the ball wrong. His hands are too far towards the end of te ball. He needs to hold the ball closer to the top, not the bottom where you strike it.

He also has this ugly "flip" in his ball drop. He flops it onto the boot with wrist movement. Some people do this a little and that's ok but his wrist movement where he kind of holds the point of the ball up and flicks it down when he begins his ball drop needs to go.

If you hold the ball right down the bottom and have as much wrist movement as he does there is no way of consistantly striking the ball in the same place.

I'm not sure how this has not been ironed out.

Wasn't advocating a fast run up, just a run up with some purpose. I rarely see people who amble in and lean back on the kick or stab at it put it through the middle, regardless of distance.

Judd's set shots for goal have always been poor but he used to be able to nail a flea at 50 on the burst.

Nowadays even his running kicks arn't consistent.

I don't know why so I won't hypothesize but as a professional footballer captaining a team his technique should damn well be good enough to kick a goal from 20 metres out.

Shit like that is very deflating, particularly for team mates never mind the rest of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton has them kicking blues

CARLTON coach Brett Ratten says his side will travel to Sydney in good form after a hard-fought win over Adelaide, but admits to some concern over the Blues' recent inaccuracy in front of goal.

"I can't put my finger on it to be honest," Ratten said ahead of Friday night's encounter with the Sydney Swans at the SCG.

"Everyone focuses in on how the game's improved in a lot of areas, but probably hasn't in goalkicking.

"We've never had that problem over the last few years … but this year I think we're near the bottom of the competition for accuracy.

"If you go through the stats last week we were miles in front in a lot of areas of the game. It was more our execution in being able to finish the last play.

"If you have 30 shots to 19 and you only win by six points - we hurt ourselves. We gave the ball back and they rebounded fairly well at times, but I think our form's pretty good."

Despite his concerns, Ratten said the club wouldn't deviate from its weekly training regime that sees each player take at least 40 shots on goal and has served them well in the past.

Carlton has them kicking blues

Least you got that bit right. .. I'll spell it out for you. ..

Forwards generally kick for goal better than Midfielders, as they get more game pressure practice. .. so by extension midfielders are generally more inaccurate. .. Its also one of the reasons Collingwood were more inaccurate with their spread of goal scorers

Our unsettled forward line means we have new forwards in there. .. Like our rucks in Hampson (poor kick) and Warnock (who normally a decent kick but isn't a dead eye). .. They also end up getting the ball too wide and thus also lower the percentages. ..

Shots from stoppages are usually rushed and under extreme pressure, thus also more inaccurate. .. Further the fact that we are playing a forward press create more stoppages and congestion around the kicks. ..

Further, 6 of our points were rushed behinds. .. So it was 3goals 13points (for the game) with a further 3-4 out of bounds. ..

I probably haven't covered all reasons either. .. So its not as simple as extra goal kicking practice which btw cannot replicate game intensity. ..

Edit: Further to my original point is that we were the second most accurate team in the comp last year and we don't just turn into simply poor kicks over an off season without reason. ..

Forwards do not kick better for goal than mids. Thats simply a massive assumption - midfielders have to kick much more accurately under much more pressure over similar distances. That is the most ridiculous line of reasoning ive ever read on Big Footy - just horse shit. if mids couldn't hit their targets they wouldn't be in the team. Ironically it is mid fielders whom I generally have much more faith in when kicking for goal - Simpson springs to mind, as opposed to Full Forwards - It is ironic that I used to dread the great sticks with the ball in his hands - either through the middle or somewhere out on the full .

Yes we have Hampson in the forward line - he is inaccurate - as is Warnock.

Shots from stoppages are more inaccurate - um - inaccuracy is my point. Eitherway - all teams suffer from pressure around goals - it doesn't justify a 17 point quarter.

I have never stated we need goal kicking practice - you said that not me. I have merely pointed out how incredibly innacurate we are - you are simply finding reasons to back up my argument - but someone think it is justified. Its not - at all. Its a serious issue which has been plagueing carlton well before THIS SEASON - and has been plaguing calrton ALL SEASON.

I have no idea why you think it is ok to come up with such ridiculous rationales (midfielders are more innacurate kicks omfg) when the reality is very, very simple - CARLTON HAVE BEEN REALLY INNACURATE this season, end of story. Why that is could be down to all manner of reasons. But, but it needs to be addressed.

Its as though you are trying to say we are not innacurate - which is just off piste.

Darren Harris is actually the one in charge of goal kicking at the club.

Cheers for that Sin.

Not looking to blame anyone for our goalkicking, after all, goalkicking is still a mystery to most people in footy, but I do wonder if it wouldn't be such a bad idea looking to get an gun ex FF to coach our goal kicking part time. Im sure between Ratts, JB, Gav & Richo they would know a few.

I did watch the game and I don't care what footy show it was discussed on, I have evolved the ability of independent thought.

Yes we did kick some shockers, the Judd one being the worst that I remember, I'm not going to say our kicking was good, but no - it isn't black & white like you say. Do you think if the team spent the entire week practicing just shooting for goal then anything would change?

Our forward structure is the problem, we desperately need talls that are going to give contests.

It's a bit too easy to say '3.17 our kicking was shit' but as I said 5 or 6 were rushed behinds and there were plenty of low percentage shots from shit angles. Quit being so one-dimensional.

Yeah - what is everyone thinking - we aren't inaccurate we are just unfortunate and everyone else is wrong - including Ratten, the score line from every week and of course everyones lying, lying eyes...whatever.

CARLTON coach Brett Ratten says his side will travel to Sydney in good form after a hard-fought win over Adelaide, but admits to some concern over the Blues' recent inaccuracy in front of goal.

Ratten - lying again.

Yeah - what is everyone thinking - we aren't inaccurate we are just unfortunate and everyone else is wrong - including Ratten, the score line from every week and of course everyones lying, lying eyes...whatever.

Ratten - lying again.

Dude, if you're gonna be a toolbox then don't even bother replying. Not once did I say that we didn't have a problem with accuracy.

Dude, if you're gonna be a toolbox then don't even bother replying. Not once did I say that we didn't have a problem with accuracy.

Here is what you said in regards to accuracy -

Having talls isn't going to make Hampson kick straight ?

Along with other points - quite clearly, and quite simply we have serious issues with our accuracy. Our forward line has other issues yes - has had for nigh on ten years - but we are simply inaccurate.

If we had the same structure - and were accurate, and kicked 15.5 then there be no issue with our structure, if we had the same number of rushed behinds and were accurate kicking 14.6, then there would be no issue, quite simply we missed between 10 and 12 shots we really could have got, maybe 8 of which were absolutes. If we were accurate and nothing else changed then there would be no discussion - there would be no need. That simple.

If we can't kick straight - then no structure, no pressure excuses under the sun will make a licking bit of difference.

Here is why collingwood are so good (people think its the pressure and forward press etc, its not) - all their players do the basics well. When they kick the ball they hit a target. Everytime. Teams are learning the forward press and totally out doing Pies with time in the forward press - however as soon as Pies rebound they score with much less time in their forward. WHY ? Because they are accurate - every time. Yes they have two big forwards - so do many other clubs - hawks, adelaide, (bears did), etc - the reality is that these two guys aren't the reason for pies massive wins and dominance - it is that whenever they get the ball in their forward line and have a shot on goal - IT GOES THROUGH THE TWO BIG STICKS.

With the Blues it does not - we are inaccurate - badly.

Posters on this thread need to accept that simple fact. One poster was arguing it is because our midfielders are having shots on goals and midfielders are more inaccurate and cant kick - OMFG.

The worst part about this issue is that the DESEASE appears to be spreading - Garlett was for mine - a dead set cert with the ball in his hand - now he is missing from all angles. WTF ?

As Jack and Johnothan discussed on the footy show (two best forwards going around right now, along with Buddy) - one takes 60-80 set shots a session, the other maybe ten. So for some yes - having shots on goal might help.

The real issue however is definitely upstairs - I don't think this is a confidence thing - I think this is a moral / ethical issue. The blues don't seem to want to kill their opposition, they want to win.

The blues should have beaten the Gold Coast by 200 points.

I don't know why, I don't know how to fix it - but I do know we are clearly, and really obviously being inaccurate - we need to accept that. That is all i am saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back