Senior 3. Brandan Parfitt (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as he keeps the knees down and doesn't become the same sniper he'll be twice the man

Are you suggesting that Teflon "Corky" Sam plays outside the rules?

Dunno about you guys, but when I saw our new recruits lined up and their numbers shown, seeing no.3 on another player other than Jimmy made me quite sad, it just doesn't look the same, same with 44, I know we have to move on and look to the future but those 2 guys, Jimmy and Boris, will be missed greatly!!!!!!!

No not at all. It was sad to see them finish the way they did in that Swans match , but they are gone and its time for list renewal. Seeing a new group of players coming into Geelong is a happy event..its a time of hope and upside and that some are wearing traditional GFC numbers is only more hopeful , that they wouldn't give Jimmy's old number to no hoper.

Last edited:

When I saw the video footage of all the new recruits and their new numbers, I realised that Parfitt has a good chunky size, I think he could be ready made to push for seniors if he's good enough. I like this selection. We didnt reach on this selection.

Id agree , he does look like he has a frame that some work in gym will only advance.

When I saw the video footage of all the new recruits and their new numbers, I realised that Parfitt has a good chunky size, I think he could be ready made to push for seniors if he's good enough. I like this selection. We didnt reach on this selection.

He's only 175cm so I'd be worried if he looked thin.

Dunno about you guys, but when I saw our new recruits lined up and their numbers shown, seeing no.3 on another player other than Jimmy made me quite sad, it just doesn't look the same, same with 44, I know we have to move on and look to the future but those 2 guys, Jimmy and Boris, will be missed greatly!!!!!!!
Two of the best players to ever don a cats jumper and they retired at the right time. Not sad at all just happy with the memories. The fact their numbers haven't been retired again shows that the club is bigger than the individual. Im looking forward to seeing Parfitt in action.

The thing I like about him is that he just looks like a natural ball winner. Geelong haven't really drafted a kid like that for a while. Menegola a bit different as a mature ager but from the u-18s the last one would have been Christensen I'd say and Selwood before that. Most of the other players drafted have been utilities like Guthrie who averaged a dozen touches at U-18 and they've had to be taught to win more footy, which is why they are so inconsistent at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I like about him is that he just looks like a natural ball winner. Geelong haven't really drafted a kid like that for a while. Menegola a bit different as a mature ager but from the u-18s the last one would have been Christensen I'd say and Selwood before that. Most of the other players drafted have been utilities like Guthrie who averaged a dozen touches at U-18 and they've had to be taught to win more footy, which is why they are so inconsistent at it.
That's right, their instinct is to defend other ball magnets or wait for the outside receive.

Only very few players seem to naturally find the ball. Even Danger isn't one if them. He has supreme confidence in his strength and explosiveness so he goes and gets it. Or because he's so good players look for him.

Mitchell and Greg Williams are the ones I can think of - natural accumulators.

Spewing for ya, in 4 years, caddy has never played one game where he even came close to ripping it apart on his own, and winning a game for us. He is a good player but not a match winner. He's a 150 gamer who will have a solid career. The kid we have picked up with this pick could easily go on to be a match winning superstar. Pace, hard, great skills and strong as an ox.
I have a great feeling about this kid. It's irrational and illogical, but hope is a wonderful thing. I like what I see. I think he has what it takes to be a gun.

No not at all. It was sad to see them finish the way they did in that Swans match , but they are gone and its time for list renewal. Seeing a new group of players coming into Geelong is a happy event..its a time of hope and upside and that some are wearing traditional GFC numbers is only more hopeful , that they wouldn't give Jimmy's old number to no hoper.

Very well said. I'd hope we never recruit a 'no hoper' but nonetheless we should support them as supporters of the club should.

Transition isn't easy, many organisations fail at it; I think we're doing more than OK.

Call me old fashioned, but I think winning with the use of class and sportsmanship is a far greater achievement.

Ohh it is ...always better to win in a shinny and chivalrous manor ... but when the hounds are at your door , one worrys not a jot about the Marquess of Queensberry. Ideal is to win with honour , with class , with skill but id say winning without honour is better than losing with it. Does one want be the character that flourishes the sword or Indiana Jones who just pulls the gun. Sporting? History is written by the victors and history will say plenty of good stuff about a few Hawk players that probably only gives one a very filtered view.

Ohh it is ...always better to win in a shinny and chivalrous manor ... but when the hounds are at your door , one worrys not a jot about the Marquess of Queensberry. Ideal is to win with honour , with class , with skill but id say winning without honour is better than losing with it. Does one want be the character that flourishes the sword or Indiana Jones who just pulls the gun. Sporting? History is written by the victors and history will say plenty of good stuff about a few Hawk players that probably only gives one a very filtered view.

I hear what you say but, and it's very idealistic of me, but I disagree a little with the sentiment.

Winning at all costs is what is ruining sport, and degrades the victor / victory for mine.

I admired Gilchrist for having the dignity and class to walk when he knew he was out. Not doing so constitutes a subtle form of cheating in my opinion.

John Landy showed you can display true sportsmanship and still win, against the odds.

Anyhow, an interesting variation in perspectives, but I'm derailing the thread so I apologise.

I'm quite content with having drafted the next Brownlow medalist and future hall of famer.

Wells has done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back