AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he's very early in his career and it's expected.

People need to be a little more realistic.

As for Parish, he needs to lift but then again he has been coming back from injuries.
Agreed, Durham will be much better as he adjusts.

Parish does need to lift. Needs to chase more, too much jogging. Maybe protecting his calf. Still can't believe he was out for almost haf a season with a calf injury. Needs a big preseason.

Earlier in the year there were plenty of posters saying things to the effect of Parish was/is vital to the team.

A few "where are the haters now?" type posts, too.

So I'll return the shitty question - where are the advocates now? The side once again played poorly with him in it this year, as it did for the past two years.

He's a good player, but I still think the club is better off without him. Caldwell and Durham are now better players.

He was out of the team from round 11 to 21, when we turned to shit. I think he is an important part of a rotation and our midfield has looked it's best when that rotation works properly.

Earlier in the year there were plenty of posters saying things to the effect of Parish was/is vital to the team.

So I'll return the shitty question - where are the advocates now? The side once again played poorly with him in it this year, as it did for the past two years.

He's a good player, but I still think the club is better off without him. Caldwell and Durham are now better players.

He played 11 games for 6 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw.

He has a better winning % than the side does overall, so perhaps he's not the cause?

Plenty of teams would be able to manage to implement him as part of the midfield group. Durham and Caldwell have stepped up a lot this year, but both struggled at times as the year wore on and neither can read ruck taps as quickly as Parish.

I'm not opposed to trading him to rebalance the midfield group and list, but we can at least be realistic about where he's at.

Durham was hardly played in the midfield against Swans. His form has dropped off markedly.

I think again fitness is a bigger problem again.

Fitness in regards to body for Durham. Clearly has the tank. Just not able to take the beating yet.

I actually think he could be what we always hoped Stringer could be.

70/30 split forward/midfielder.

Burst/impact midfielder who acts as a marking high half forward at other times.

I hope I'm not unwelcome in saying this, but I think your team is better without Parish.

I was an Essendon follower before the Crows came in, so I've always kept a bit of an eye on how you go. I've watched recently and Parish to me reminds me of the end of Sloane's career.
Parish is a hard runner who accumulates well enough, but he doesn't have hurt factor. I think he's also on the back end of his career (even though he's not that old - his body looks shot). I think he also messes up the mix you had on ball, which was more dynamic and dangerous without him.

If I was you guys I would be trading him now while you can. North are in need of some senior leadership, so I'd be quietly asking them if they are interested.
Otherwise you will make the mistake the Crows keep making - keeping experienced players for the sake of the 'experience', but who are actually no longer effective. We did it with Sloane. We are doing it with Smith, Tex and Laird.
A smart team (Hawks) move these players out before the cliff is in view.

Just an observation. Hope it's ok.
Can you troll us please?

Fitness in regards to body for Durham. Clearly has the tank. Just not able to take the beating yet.

I actually think he could be what we always hoped Stringer could be.

70/30 split forward/midfielder.

Burst/impact midfielder who acts as a marking high half forward at other times.

I also think there's a difference between being 'fit' and being able to run out the season. Having all the GPS numbers, strength and such is good, and a big part of the equation. But recovering each week from the physical toll of playing in the middle is a challenge in and of itself. Plenty of players take a few years to adjust to managing that.

He'll be fine.

lmao he was 6 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses for his games played this year when people were saying that.

Its funny that neutral commentators think we still don't have enough in the middle yet we want to trade parish.

I'm honestly more concerned about his injuries, that plus his contract length (thanks dodo) kill his trade value more than the type of player he is.

lmao he was 6 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses for his games played this year when people were saying that.

Its funny that neutral commentators think we still don't have enough in the middle yet we want to trade parish.

I'm honestly more concerned about his injuries, that plus his contract length (thanks dodo) kill his trade value more than the type of player he is.
I'm honestly more concerned about the type of player he is plus the length of his contract. Well played to his agent 👏

I feel like our issue in the middle is Parish, Sheil, Caldwell and even Merrett replicate each other strengths and flaws to a large degree.

So it becomes diminishing returns on the strengths and flaws become magnified because no one covers them.

The people pick apart the strengths of the good players by comparison.

I feel like our issue in the middle is Parish, Sheil, Caldwell and even Merrett replicate each other strengths and flaws to a large degree.

So it becomes diminishing returns on the strengths and flaws become magnified because no one covers them.
It's that big bodied mid need we have lacked for the longest time. A core mid group with some strength and in particular height in them. Geelongs long run of form had that mid group quality, Hawks impressive young mid group now has it. Even Port young mid group now has it.

Until Essendon gets it, we will always be a step behind the rest. We really should have a second Durham 185+ type playing now getting game time, maybe it will be Caddy, will see.

It's that big bodied mid need we have lacked for the longest time. A core mid group with some strength and in particular height in them. Geelongs long run of form had that mid group quality, Hawks impressive young mid group now has it. Even Port young mid group now has it.

Until Essendon gets it, we will always be a step behind the rest. We really should have a second Durham 185+ type playing now getting game time, maybe it will be Caddy, will see.

Tsatas coming into the side next season should help although he’ll still be young and developing physically.

Maybe Perkins with a big off-season although I see him more as a Lipinski type. Decent half forward/mid but more rotation player rather than important player.

Throw in another of this type of player via our FRP and things are starting to look much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone like Tsatas for instance?

It is all about balance IMO. Parish is elite at extracting the ball and dishing it off by hand. He is not the elite runner through there. That is where Caldwell, Durham come into it.

Problem is Durham and Caldwell have not been getting huge midfield minutes lately.

I'm not getting caught up in the histrionics from the usual suspects in here but am wondering why Parish looks like be is running through water at the moment. He looks slow.
"He's carrying something" like 50% of our list apparently...

Hobbs/Parish/Caldwell won't work in the same team. Hopefully our list management realises that over the off season.

"He's carrying something" like 50% of our list apparently...

Hobbs/Parish/Caldwell won't work in the same team. Hopefully our list management realises that over the off season.
Yeah, I’ll add Shiel in there as well.

Parish has lost his zip. At least Caldwell can get his hand on someone when he is defending and is a reliable kick I guess.

I’m hoping that he bounces back next year but we are in trouble if he doesn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back