AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobbs IMO, he's a year older than Tsatas and AFAIK has never really had a proper run on-ball at AFL level. Give him a chance and see how he goes.
I think when setterfield/Parish/Shiel were out last year we had a core mid group of Merrett/Caldwell/Hobbs. From memory he played really well against Blues on Kings Bday Eve along with Caldwell and they did well in the middle well when we moved Zach forward to shake the blues tag.

Amazing shut down job by Brad Scott at the start of the second quarter, completely cooled down the red hot Parish.

His first quarter wasn't good. I’ve often thought criticism of his lack of ability to absorb physical contact as over the top but against Adelaide whilst under any pressure he hit potatoed the footy to the opposition or a teammate in a worse position than himself

Our best midfielder at his best, could be worth the most at the trade table but us actively shopping him around decreases his trade value.

I really want to see him succeed, just not sure how it (Essendon midfield) looks with him leading the line and doing a positive result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope I'm not unwelcome in saying this, but I think your team is better without Parish.

I was an Essendon follower before the Crows came in, so I've always kept a bit of an eye on how you go. I've watched recently and Parish to me reminds me of the end of Sloane's career.
Parish is a hard runner who accumulates well enough, but he doesn't have hurt factor. I think he's also on the back end of his career (even though he's not that old - his body looks shot). I think he also messes up the mix you had on ball, which was more dynamic and dangerous without him.

If I was you guys I would be trading him now while you can. North are in need of some senior leadership, so I'd be quietly asking them if they are interested.
Otherwise you will make the mistake the Crows keep making - keeping experienced players for the sake of the 'experience', but who are actually no longer effective. We did it with Sloane. We are doing it with Smith, Tex and Laird.
A smart team (Hawks) move these players out before the cliff is in view.

Just an observation. Hope it's ok.

I hope I'm not unwelcome in saying this, but I think your team is better without Parish.

I was an Essendon follower before the Crows came in, so I've always kept a bit of an eye on how you go. I've watched recently and Parish to me reminds me of the end of Sloane's career.
Parish is a hard runner who accumulates well enough, but he doesn't have hurt factor. I think he's also on the back end of his career (even though he's not that old - his body looks shot). I think he also messes up the mix you had on ball, which was more dynamic and dangerous without him.

If I was you guys I would be trading him now while you can. North are in need of some senior leadership, so I'd be quietly asking them if they are interested.
Otherwise you will make the mistake the Crows keep making - keeping experienced players for the sake of the 'experience', but who are actually no longer effective. We did it with Sloane. We are doing it with Smith, Tex and Laird.

Don't necessarily disagree with this generally but this club will never trade a player they signed to a 6 year deal not that long ago. We are stuck with him for better or worse.

Don't necessarily disagree with this generally but this club will never trade a player they signed to a 6 year deal not that long ago. We are stuck with him for better or worse.
Sounds very Crows-like...

Think it’s a fair observation.
Essendons midfield is clearly too small and the mix doesn’t work when they all play. They all have their strengths and flaws.

Parish isn’t much of a leader though. Wouldn’t offer much value to North.

Been thinking about where he’d potentially get moved too. Only Dees or Pies (to a lesser extent cats) make much sense.

Hard thing about this type of trade is you won’t get fair value back. Just have to get enough for the loss of talent to not hurt too badly

I think the six year contract is going to kill us. I can’t see him getting better at all, so hopefully he can stay healthy and still play good footy, but six years is a long time.

The injuries worry me more than anything. He is a good enough player if he is injury free even if he does have physical limitations. We have other guys to cover that side as not everyone in the midfield has to be a beast. The problem has been he has had some long injury lay offs in the last two years and it has effected his form when he gets back. If it keeps happening then that is the problem.

Earlier in the year there were plenty of posters saying things to the effect of Parish was/is vital to the team.

A few "where are the haters now?" type posts, too.

So I'll return the shitty question - where are the advocates now? The side once again played poorly with him in it this year, as it did for the past two years.

He's a good player, but I still think the club is better off without him. Caldwell and Durham are now better players.

Earlier in the year there were plenty of posters saying things to the effect of Parish was/is vital to the team.

A few "where are the haters now?" type posts, too.

So I'll return the shitty question - where are the advocates now? The side once again played poorly with him in it this year, as it did for the past two years.

He's a good player, but I still think the club is better off without him. Caldwell and Durham are now better players.
Durham was hardly played in the midfield against Swans. His form has dropped off markedly.

I think again fitness is a bigger problem again.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back