AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I’ll add Shiel in there as well.

Parish has lost his zip. At least Caldwell can get his hand on someone when he is defending and is a reliable kick I guess.

I’m hoping that he bounces back next year but we are in trouble if he doesn’t.

Caldwell a reliable kick? Come on now.

I’d have him well ahead of Parish but it ain’t for his kicking ability…

Some of the matches earlier in the year were better than the Darcy we had got use to. Was more defensive minded, genuine tackling efforts, and his clean hands were instrumental in setting up passages of play. It was said he worked with Rath on his kicking pre season and observers said he wasn't butchering it on the training track but I didn't see enough of his kicking to forwards this year to make an opinion but was hopeful he wouldn't be pinpointing opposition defenders. But gee 6 years (they told the public it was 5) and then I heard the other day it was $700K (thought it was 600). People should be getting fired for this level incompetence.

Who would actually want this bloke? Reckon there’d be bugger all interest from other clubs, maybe Norf or Richmond would get sucked in given their deplorable state (Demons if their big dogs jump off the sinking ship).

Who would actually want this bloke? Reckon there’d be bugger all interest from other clubs, maybe Norf or Richmond would get sucked in given their deplorable state (Demons if their big dogs jump off the sinking ship).

Pies would be the no1 pick. In premiership window and need a ball hunter (have Mitchell but he’s older) to get the ball to their outside players.

Beyond that Dees if guys leave then Saints, Cats, or Dogs might take a flier depending on cost.

Assume he doesn’t want to move interstate.

Pies would be the no1 pick. In premiership window and need a ball hunter (have Mitchell but he’s older) to get the ball to their outside players.

Beyond that Dees if guys leave then Saints, Cats, or Dogs might take a flier depending on cost.

Assume he doesn’t want to move interstate.

Cats maybe but I doubt he’s the type they’d be interested in. Saints have been known to torch draft picks at the trade table in the past. Dogs no chance IMO.

Cats maybe but I doubt he’s the type they’d be interested in. Saints have been known to torch draft picks at the trade table in the past. Dogs no chance IMO.

Cats are pragmatic.

If they could get overs for their own similar players and get Parish for unders why wouldn’t they.

Dogs mostly just got listed because they are a Melbourne team in a contention window

Cats are pragmatic.

If they could get overs for their own similar players and get Parish for unders why wouldn’t they.

Dogs mostly just got listed because they are a Melbourne team in a contention window

Surely Chris could do brad a solid and take him off our hands for a first rounder. The problem it will be around pick 14 and could be eaten up by a kako bid anyway.

Not sure he was completely 100% and looked to be protecting himself. Had a better second half but there were very few good players in the backend of the season.

Conditioning and mental toughness just isn't there.

He had two long term injuries. Not totally shocked that his form was not near what he can produce. I am not in his fan club but some people need to have a reality check. No he is not an A grade star but he is not a total spud either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had two long term injuries. Not totally shocked that his form was not near what he can produce. I am not in his fan club but some people need to have a reality check. No he is not an A grade star but he is not a total spud either.
Agree. Need him to get ontop of his injuries. Similar to Shiel in the sense that it takes him 2-3 weeks to get upto speed after time off with injury - and he has to be played as a mid as he’s not impactful anywhere else - which is very (negatively) impactful in those 2-3 games

His best is A grade but so was Marc Mercuri’s.

Let’s hope he can get his body right and regain that little bit of pace he seems to have lost.

I really wish that we had traded high on this kid. I wanted to blow it up on the basis that I didn't think we were any reasonable chance of competing before Parish was at least 30. A year or two ago we probably could have squeezed two first rounders for him and now, with one of the league's worst contracts, not so much.

I really wish that we had traded high on this kid. I wanted to blow it up on the basis that I didn't think we were any reasonable chance of competing before Parish was at least 30. A year or two ago we probably could have squeezed two first rounders for him and now, with one of the league's worst contracts, not so much.
Didn't we shop him last off season and there were no takers so in order to make really really sure nobody would take him we rewarded him with a long term contract of 5 years which magically turned into 6 years a few days after it was announced.

I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that, or did I?

I keep hearing “we should have traded Parish”. Did anyone show any serious interest in him?

And if noone showed any interest then why the 6 year contract? Not sure why we've given some players such long contracts. I would've thought that's what you do to stop another team poaching them, not just because they're a nice bloke.

Probably has something to do with Tasmania

Maybe. I don't mind Parish and McGrath, but it's not like it'd be the worst thing in the world if either of them were lured to Tassie. I'd rather that than lose Caddy or Martin.

Maybe. I don't mind Parish and McGrath, but it's not like it'd be the worst thing in the world if either of them were lured to Tassie. I'd rather that than lose Caddy or Martin.
Yeah but you're not the club. I think the club wants to head off potential player raids from the new guys by signing 'key' players to long contracts.

I think there might have been some other reason regarding future salary cap changes but I'm not across that.

Yeah but you're not the club. I think the club wants to head off potential player raids from the new guys by signing 'key' players to long contracts.

I think there might have been some other reason regarding future salary cap changes but I'm not across that.

I know what you mean, they have to juggle a bunch of stuff and look ahead as well to what other players might be coming on board. And with the salary cap going up maybe it was a good decision to front load some people.

We'll see how it pans out. I'd like to see the team a bit better balanced all over the field, and that'll probably help the long term contract guys perform better as well.

And if noone showed any interest then why the 6 year contract? Not sure why we've given some players such long contracts. I would've thought that's what you do to stop another team poaching them, not just because they're a nice bloke.
No one showed any interest because he was chasing huge dollars. We ended up getting him reasonably cheap all things considered

Yeah, I’ll add Shiel in there as well.

Parish has lost his zip. At least Caldwell can get his hand on someone when he is defending and is a reliable kick I guess.

I’m hoping that he bounces back next year but we are in trouble if he doesn’t.

Two lower leg injuries probably means he's struggled to do more than base-load type running, he's young enough that he shouldn't simply be losing pace.

Hopefully a clean pre-season this year and he goes back to where he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back