AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

No one showed any interest because he was chasing huge dollars. We ended up getting him reasonably cheap all things considered

Hasn't the 'rumour' always been that we don't put CBA increases in contracts, so we tend to 'overpay' a little in terms of years or up-front dollars, but over the life of the contract end up with a better salary cap impact and thus had a shitload of free money to buy McKay in, frontload the crap out of his contract, and be paying him a fairly standard wage for the remainder.

Hasn't the 'rumour' always been that we don't put CBA increases in contracts, so we tend to 'overpay' a little in terms of years or up-front dollars, but over the life of the contract end up with a better salary cap impact and thus had a shitload of free money to buy McKay in, frontload the crap out of his contract, and be paying him a fairly standard wage for the remainder.
I don’t know if it is something we “don’t do” or if it’s just how the negotiations panned out but a number of our contracts didn’t include the uplift and it has given us more cash to splash.

Didn't we shop him last off season and there were no takers so in order to make really really sure nobody would take him we rewarded him with a long term contract of 5 years which magically turned into 6 years a few days after it was announced.

I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that, or did I?
Did we shop him around, or was is Parish's management? Tried to get a little more out us us and found we had the best offer anyway? Probably the same end result but I think it makes a litlte difference

Did we shop him around, or was is Parish's management? Tried to get a little more out us us and found we had the best offer anyway? Probably the same end result but I think it makes a litlte difference

Once we prioritised signing players in free agency Parish had us over a barrel because if he left we’d not get any compensation for him.

Given we still have oodles of cap space apparently we should really be looking to trade him and eating whatever salary is feasible to get a good pick.

Once we prioritised signing players in free agency Parish had us over a barrel because if he left we’d not get any compensation for him.

Given we still have oodles of cap space apparently we should really be looking to trade him and eating whatever salary is feasible to get a good pick.
Would not be opposed to this as long as we don't hamstring ourselves for future salary cap payments to players we actually want to retain.

Essendon should tell other clubs he and perkins are on the table, might give them a well needed rocket, even if there are no takers.

I’m not usually this hyperbolic, but we will never win a final with parish starting in our midfield. He is an inefficient accumulator who hates physical contact. He is the epitome of easy to play against Essendon. This guy is supposed to be our inside midfielder and can barely lay a tackle or even lay an arm across the opposition at a stoppage.

Please can we trade him before the league realises how useless he is.

I’m not usually this hyperbolic, but we will never win a final with parish starting in our midfield. He is an inefficient accumulator who hates physical contact. He is the epitome of easy to play against Essendon. This guy is supposed to be our inside midfielder and can barely lay a tackle or even lay an arm across the opposition at a stoppage.

Please can we trade him before the league realises how useless he is.
Given the lack of interest at the asking price last year I think before is the wrong word.

Montana called parish and Merrett the dynamic duo. That is some serious gaslighting considering how much harder parish makes things for Merrett.
Just f**k him off and cut our losses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hell does parish end up with a 6 year deal? I just don’t think I can deal with him in our side. While we will lose Hobbs
That’s a bit over the top.

He’s not irreplaceable but he’s in our best 22 and not on huge money. I don’t think he’s getting any of the CBA uplift either so he’ll be cheap relative to the salary cap in a few years.

I’d be happy to trade him but it’s not dire if he stays

How the hell does parish end up with a 6 year deal? I just don’t think I can deal with him in our side. While we will lose Hobbs
Why will we lose Hobbs?
He has a contract and we do play him so they must like him in the side .
Others may be interested but we can hold him. It is not a forgone conclusion.

Why will we lose Hobbs?
He has a contract and we do play him so they must like him in the side .
Others may be interested but we can hold him. It is not a forgone conclusion.
It’s up to hobbs really, unless we shift the magnets or trade some players he will remain on the fringes and want out.

if 2 of setterfeild Shiel parish remain on the list and I was Hobbs I’d be looking for a trade and we maze well trade him now before he has another year asa forward or in the twos

It’s up to hobbs really, unless we shift the magnets or trade some players he will remain on the fringes and want out.

if 2 of setterfeild Shiel parish remain on the list and I was Hobbs I’d be looking for a trade and we maze well trade him now before he has another year asa forward or in the twos
It is not really up to Hobbs. It will be if we want to keep him. He was only in the VFL to build his fitness base after the rehab for his injury was limited running for 3 weeks.
He may not have been in the midfield but other than two weeks of the of the season he has been in the side when fully. The rest of the time he was injured or working back to fitness.
This whole narrative is coming from clubs feeding a few media personal that they are watching the situation and some in the media like Jay Clarke who look up the internet and see he played 6 games less this year.
If he gets traded it will be because the football department think he is expendable.

It is not really up to Hobbs. It will be if we want to keep him. He was only in the VFL to build his fitness base after the rehab for his injury was limited running for 3 weeks.
He may not have been in the midfield but other than two weeks of the of the season he has been in the side when fully. The rest of the time he was injured or working back to fitness.
This whole narrative is coming from clubs feeding a few media personal that they are watching the situation and some in the media like Jay Clarke who look up the internet and see he played 6 games less this year
If he gets traded it will be because the football department think he is expendable.
That’s mostly all true but It is actually up to Hobbs though. He can’t ask out for more opportunities whether that be in the team or in the midfield, he may be contracted for another season but if those opportunities aren’t created for him next year we are better off trading him not for a better return.

I’m not a huge Parish fan but also don’t subscribe to the total spud school.

Do not understand 6 years. Bizarre list management.
Definitely not a spud, very good centre bounce player and has some of cleanest hands in the business, but I simply can’t tolerate one way mids who aren’t great users, have no defensive game and hate physical contact. Don’t think they can stand up in finals.

Not the place for this comment but I have the feelings about nick Bryan, could be a number 1 ruck, but I prefer my rucks to be more physical and able to compete in the air rather than extra midfielder type that Bryan projects as

That’s mostly all true but It is actually up to Hobbs though. He can’t ask out for more opportunities whether that be in the team or in the midfield, he may be contracted for another season but if those opportunities aren’t created for him next year we are better off trading him not for a better return.
Well it is not up to Hobbs. It is up to Scott and Rosa. If they want him then he is contracted and stays. If they do not then they move him.
What happens next year is what happens next year.
This is a guy that they have seen in the best 23 for every week he has been fit to play bar 2 weeks.
If he doesn’t get injured and miss 4 weeks then he doesn’t miss a game.

Well it is not up to Hobbs. It is up to Scott and Rosa. If they want him then he is contracted and stays. If they do not then they move him.
What happens next year is what happens next year.
This is a guy that they have seen in the best 23 for every week he has been fit to play bar 2 weeks.
If he doesn’t get injured and miss 4 weeks then he doesn’t miss a game.
I find it interesting that someone who usually has a higher tolerance than most for trading out decent players that might net us something in return and enable us to re-balance and improve the list seems pretty dead against the idea of trading Hobbs.

To me another small inside mid without much flexibility to his game doesn't really compliment the mix, and we could use that currency to address glaring holes in the list. What do you see in Hobbs that makes you want us to hold on to him? Not having a crack by the way, genuinely interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back