3 disgraced cricketers, one recurring voice

Should they just shut up and stay out of the media?

• Yes

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Get stuffed!

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting interview from Bancroft.

Nothing new under the sun in that he was manipulated into doing it by Warner because DW knew that he wanted to feel part of the team, there’s better ways to do that’s including the currency of runs.

Like many others I’ve been in that situation before of wanting to fit in and feel appreciated within a group or team, especially within a school friend group which was solidified and I tried whatever it took to break into, would I go as far as adjusting my moral compass that far, I’m not sure.

CB needs to take some responsibility for his actions but at the same time I don’t think DW is someone you want to get offside especially when your new to the team and not just being he was V/C.

When Warner propositioned CB if he had of told him no way and to get stuffed than I think Warner wouldn’t forget that in a hurry and would make him pay for it even if behind closed doors and away from team mates.

Bancroft was his opening partner and judging by Warner’s character I think he’d hold a long grudge.

Don’t know if we will ever hear from Lehmann about it but I’d love to hear his side of it as coach, unless he was genuinely unaware that it was going to happen.

Would make for an interesting interview or chapter in a book.

That would be a stupid response.

Australia shouldn't be known as cheats. Regardless if its doping yourself silly, match/race fixing or rubbing sandpaper on a cricket ball.

Australia is supposed to be above that hubbub - play tough but play fair and never cheat!

The Australian cricket team is full of meat heads from the top all the way down. The fact that they have been further exposed as inept is hilarious.

This would not have been the first time they did it. So past results like the Ashes should have a * next to it.

They don't 'appreciate the gravity' because there's not much gravity to it to begin with. It is astonishing that people think this is so important.
Its an interesting thing ball tampering.

When this all broke i had Pure Ownages position that this was out and out cheating and simply could not be tolerated. This was until people more learned in the game than I pointed out that its been part of.crickets culture for years. What really underscores how lightly cricket fraternity view ball tampering is that the ICCs standard punishment is a feather tap 1 match - pleas correct me if im mistaken.
It also sort.of.explains the flippant initial press conference in Cape Town when they go caught out. They didnt forsee the coming storm as in their eyes, ball tampering was a relatively minor indiscretion.

I still find this bizarre but this seems to be the view of ball tampering in world cricket.

Interesting comparison to golf but thats another story.

Frankly all three of them are delinquent cheats and should have been banned for life.
That would have been the most ridiculous response. The ICC, the world body has never seen fit to give punishments for ball tampering in excess of a test. The only people who have been banned for life are those who match fixed. To ban the 3 of them for life would be completely unprecedented and just ludicrous

When this all broke i had Pure Ownages position that this was out and out cheating and simply could not be tolerated. This was until people more learned in the game than I pointed out that its been part of.crickets culture for years. What really underscores how lightly cricket fraternity view ball tampering is that the ICCs standard punishment is a feather tap 1 match - pleas correct me if im mistaken.
It also sort.of.explains the flippant initial press conference in Cape Town when they go caught out. They didnt forsee the coming storm as in their eyes, ball tampering was a relatively minor indiscretion.

I still find this bizarre but this seems to be the view of ball tampering in world cricket.

I have the feeling this was more about punishing Warner for being an arseh*le and skewering the ugly culture that had infested the team over the past couple of decades leading to their unpopularity abroad and, increasingly, at home. Using the ball tampering charge was a nice convenience. Somewhat like convicting Al Capone on tax avoidance.

I think it's good Bancroft and Smith have come out and had their say, Warner should have his piece too.

I see a few of the usual sorts on here along with the sensationalist media are portraying Bancroft as making excuses, didn't come across that way I thought - he explained what happened and took responsibility identifying the errors in his thought process at the time. Smith identified and explained his weakness as a leader in walking away from a bad situation. Now would like Warner to explain where and why he decided the ball's condition needed to be tampered with (ie. was the story true about the baton of the ball's "custodian" being passed on after the scrutiny on his fingers in the previous test?).

If Bancroft can’t remember, can we ask Handscombe what the message was?
I think you'll find its a case of collective amnesia. Handscomb wont remember, Boof wont remember and neither will anyone else involved with the team.
Just like no one remembers ever having anything to do with ball tampering prior to this.

I reckon Warner would be burning up inside. There's no way he can come out and defend himself against Bancroft and Smith without putting himself and others further into the shit.

anyway, I'm happy to have them all back. I hate cheats but a year is a long time in a professional sports career and the penalties were a reasonable price to pay.

Australia shouldn't be known as cheats. Regardless if its doping yourself silly, match/race fixing or rubbing sandpaper on a cricket ball.

Australia is supposed to be above that hubbub - play tough but play fair and never cheat!

The Australian cricket team is full of meat heads from the top all the way down. The fact that they have been further exposed as inept is hilarious.

This would not have been the first time they did it. So past results like the Ashes should have a * next to it.
Go away.

I think many fans will just move on when cheating becomes an acceptable or lightly punished part of a game. Or even a standard. And this view of ball tampering being a minor indiscretion shows how out of touch those running the game are with the Australian Public. It does seem that other countries hold a different viewpoint though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find its a case of collective amnesia. Handscomb wont remember, Boof wont remember and neither will anyone else involved with the team.
Just like no one remembers ever having anything to do with ball tampering prior to this.

I reckon Warner would be burning up inside. There's no way he can come out and defend himself against Bancroft and Smith without putting himself and others further into the shit.

anyway, I'm happy to have them all back. I hate cheats but a year is a long time in a professional sports career and the penalties were a reasonable price to pay.

Boof has got out of this whole saga relatively lightly, he eventually resigned as coach but he didn't cop as much heat as Smith did for allowing it to happen.

Hard to believe the coach wouldn't have noticed what was going on and told them to knock it off, unless he was complicit with those sorts of tactics.

Boof has got out of this whole saga relatively lightly, he eventually resigned as coach but he didn't cop as much heat as Smith did for allowing it to happen.

Hard to believe the coach wouldn't have noticed what was going on and told them to knock it off, unless he was complicit with those sorts of tactics.
It is extraordinary that a player believed the best way to conform to team norms was to ball tamper? What type of regime was Lehmann running?

It is extraordinary that a player believed the best way to conform to team norms was to ball tamper? What type of regime was Lehmann running?
The Gilchrist/Bangers interview was about as hard hitting as a Barbara Walters puff piece.

Remember seeing ex Kiwi bowler Simon Doull on the TV around the time. He suggested normal game type altering of the ball ie shining with sweat, saliva, bouncing ball to keeper etc be allowed. I'd personally include picking at the seams.

And a new ball MUST be taken after 60 overs (I think it was).

This will even it up between bat and ball a bit. Which will lower the incentive to 'cheat'.

Yeah, it was just these three who were involved.

The bowlers (whose faces are used to sell energy companies) didn't know nuthin'. Honest!

After all, they just bowled with the ball, and benefited from the swing which was the whole point of the tampering in the first place.

Look at Patty Cummins celebrating! Imagine when he gets a wicket!

Anybody who can't see through this charade is naive at best.

Reality is, once the cameras caught them, they should have thrown Cameron under the bus (sorry mate, you'll be back, etc), Steve should have played a straight bat at the press conference and said that he and Cameron would cop their whack from the ICC, 'the South Africans did it too, we shouldn't have, heat of the moment, it is tough out there, let's get on with the series', and everything could have blown over in a matter of days.

Instead, Steve gave a pissweak account of himself in the initial press conference, made a complete fustercluck of the entire situation, and here we are today, still watching on as Cricket Australia try to pick up the pieces.

This country sometimes...

The umpires couldn't see that the ball was tampered with and allowed them to continue using it. But somehow the bowlers should have picked it up?

The fact that they thought they could do it around the cameras and get away with it says a lot about the team.

The fact that Bancroft says that as a fully grown adult he didnt know better means his parents either didnt raise him with the right values or they did and he ignored them and pretending he didn't know better is a rubbish cop out.

Frankly all three of them are delinquent cheats and should have been banned for life.

A ban for life would have meant legal proceedings for CA. No organisation wants that, especially after an incident that shows them in a negative light. That penalty would have been way over the top, especially given the precedent the ICC and other cricket boards have set.

Last edited:
What else was the umpire goig to do?

Please, talk me through it.

Why would I need to talk you through it when it's dealt with in the laws of the game?

(d) If the umpires together agree that the deterioration in the condition of the ball is greater than is consistent with the use it has received, they shall consider that there has been a contravention of this Law. They shall

(i) change the ball forthwith. It shall be for the umpires to decide on the replacement ball. It shall, in their opinion, have had wear comparable to that which the previous ball had received immediately prior to the contravention.

Additionally the bowler's end umpire shall

(ii) award 5 penalty runs to the batting side.

(iii) inform the batsmen that the ball has been changed.

(iv) inform the captain of the fielding side that the reason for the action was the unfair interference with the ball.

(v) inform the captain of the batting side as soon as practicable of what has occurred.

(vi) together with the other umpire report the occurrence as soon as possible after the match to the Executive of the fielding side and to any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain and team concerned.

Remove this Banner Ad

3 disgraced cricketers, one recurring voice

Back