Past #30: Jarrad Waite - will retire at end 2018 - 60 NM games/120+ NM goals - Shinboner - thanks W80

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess it shows exactly what the club think of Taz, Brown and Daw. Just not fit and just not ready.
Taz and Daw have had injury issues. Brown has only just started.
If we are trying to make our own luck we are doing it wrong.

I don't see how he can harm our team, get him as a free agent and he could possibly be the recruit of the year next season. I don't want to rely on tarrant, Daw or Brown at this stage. Petrie, Waite, Black, Thomas, Nahas, Harvey in that forward line, Wow

images

When coaches actively bring a player over, especially one like Brad who doesn't particularly select based on form - then that player is likely to get preferential treatment.

McKinley was such a fringe option there was no real pressure to do this but he was still gifted some games. Ditto Jacobs.

Waite will probably be splashed on the 2015 membership cards and made undroppable if he comes over.

When coaches actively bring a player over, especially one like Brad who doesn't particularly select based on form - then that player is likely to get preferential treatment.

McKinley was such a fringe option there was no real pressure to do this but he was still gifted some games. Ditto Jacobs.

Waite will probably be splashed on the 2015 membership cards and made undroppable if he comes over.

You can't be serious using Mckinley and Jacobs as a reason why we shouldn't get Waite.

Instead of getting a player like Waite, who may contribute or put pressure on others to lift their game we should keep gifting games to our underperforming tall forwards in the hope they come good?

Ben McKinley played 2 games in 2011 and then was delisted lol and Jacobs has played 14 out of 40 games in the last 2 years... Either of them has hardly been gifted games!

I agree with the Brad Scott selections however Tarrant is always injured, Daw is still developing as is Brown and Wood or Black arn't key position players. Throw Grima into the always injured category and if Waite is fit he can be thrown around either Forward or Back depending on our needs at the moment we dont have much flexibility with Daw, Brown, Black

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at it this way. If we use a 4th/5th pick in the draft it'll be around pick 65-90. Usually it's a total crap shoot and mostly crap.

If the club is turning over 4-5 players then it's a question of whether pick 70/PSD pick is better value than someone like Waite.

If Waite is lazy or chronically injured - DO NOT WANT.

I agree with the Brad Scott selections however Tarrant is always injured, Daw is still developing as is Brown and Wood or Black arn't key position players. Throw Grima into the always injured category and if Waite is fit he can be thrown around either Forward or Back depending on our needs at the moment we dont have much flexibility with Daw, Brown, Black
Has Waite played much footy down back over the journey?

You can't be serious using Mckinley and Jacobs as a reason why we shouldn't get Waite.

Instead of getting a player like Waite, who may contribute or put pressure on others to lift their game we should keep gifting games to our underperforming tall forwards in the hope they come good?

Where did I say not to get him? You're conjuring up your own text. I was commenting on the fact his selection may indeed block a less preferred youngster.

Ben McKinley played 2 games in 2011 and then was delisted lol and Jacobs has played 14 out of 40 games in the last 2 years... Either of them has hardly been gifted games!

McKinley and Jacobs both played in round 1 of their 1st North year courtesy of the 'shiny new toy' rule.

These were 'gifted' games. Not every player gets gifted games. Just ask Levi Greenwood.

You're a smart unit scoobs so I'm sure you realise, I was commenting on the preferential selection process not the specific recruitment of Waite.

I did warn you guys this was happening in the free agency thread.

If anything should happen to Drew, he would be perfect back up.

Can run, can jump, can take a grab & can kick.

Don't see him taking Wood or Black's spot. Can play on a wing too.

I did warn you guys this was happening in the free agency thread.

If anything should happen to Drew, he would be perfect back up.

Can run, can jump, can take a grab & can kick.

Don't see him taking Wood or Black's spot. Can play on a wing too.
That's such a good call out.. Drew is by far and away our most important player.

For nothing and not gifted games - not the worst idea in the world.

Are any of the GWS forwards an option of chasing? That's where I'd go. Boomer would make them 20 goals better immediately.

McKinley especially is as valid a comparison as Nahas: a cheap investment (don't know how much cap space McKinley took up but cost a throwaway late draft pick), only one who didn't work out. At best, it can be said that we weren't significantly disadvantaged by bringing McKinley in, and yet, him having been a younger prospect, that move seemed more justifiable than a potential one for Waite. Mightn't cost us much, but it's a risky one, especially if we try and restructure our forward line around his presence (which is highly plausible). Couple this risk with other factors about Waite - injury-prone, inconsistent, already 31 years old - and the proposition doesn't seem a great one. With little to no risk as a speculative signing who we use as a stop-gap, it's not the worst idea, but anything more and we're putting too much faith in him to work out.

If Waite is lazy or chronically injured - DO NOT WANT.

He's 31?

Ok NDS was 30.

But NDS we are gonna get maybe 5 years out of with him playing pretty much every game.

Would we get 5 years or 100 games out of Waite?

2014 11
2013 14
2012 11
2011 12
2010 16

64 of a possible 110 not including the finals they played.

Given his track record I think it comes down to.

Will he get us to and win us a Grand Final?

If the answer is no walk the f*** away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back